Does anyone tow with Vortec Swaps?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
TheRebel

Does anyone tow with Vortec Swaps?

Post by TheRebel »

I’m really leaning towards a vortec swap in my 66. However, I want my gladiator to be able to tow around my 54 Willys truck on a flat bed. Is this feasible? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cecil14

Re: Does anyone tow with Vortec Swaps?

Post by Cecil14 »

Thousands and thousands of factory vortec trucks do it, no reason a swapped one wouldn't function at least as well. The bigger factors will be everything else on the truck, not the engine. Are the brakes up to par? Suspension? Steering? Is your gearing/tire size adequate? Cooling?

The engine really is the last piece of the puzzle when towing. Handling and stopping are far bigger obstacles.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

With a '66, I would not tow another vehicle unless I swapped the axles for much newer units. You have 2 piece rear axles and drum brakes from the factory. You also have a single reservoir master, you might have power brakes. But I would REALLY want a newer, power, dual reservoir master.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

derf

Post by derf »

I concur on upgrading everything if you're going to tow that much weight. Getting the load moving is only 1/10 of the picture. Keeping it stable on the road is far more important. But more than all of that, being able to safely stop the load is probably 7/10 of the equation.

I'm setting up my truck to tow. My checklist for the conversion:
  • Bigger engine (which, for unrelated issues, is being upgraded a second time)
  • HD transmission for handling all the weight. My second generation upgrade will have a 4L80 or possibly an NV4500 manual. For towing I wouldn't go with anything less. Overdrive is great for letting you use shorter gears in the axle (higher numbers) and still have reasonable highway RPMs. But something like a granny low T18a or SM465 would certainly be a viable choice. The TH400 or TF727 are both good HD transmissions but lack of overdrive makes them a second tier choice for me.
  • For automatic transmissions, you want a whole lot of cooling capacity for the transmission. Keeping the transmission cooler makes it perform better and last a lot longer.
  • 3/4 ton axles from a J20. This gives you bigger, stronger everything than you get in 1/2 ton axles. They'll handle the abuse a lot better.
  • Upgraded front disc brakes. The parts from the Chevy JB7 heavy duty brakes bolt right up to the front HD Dana 44 from a J20. Bigger is better.
  • Rear disc brake conversion. Sure, the big drums work but you get better braking out of a good disc setup.
  • Hydroboost brake booster. More line pressure = better braking. All day every day.
  • Trailer brake controller. Hauling anything over 3,500 pounds you really want the trailer to have its own set of brakes. A car hauler should have brakes on all 4 (or 6) wheels.
  • Front swaybar. Came stock on the later FSJs and is a good thing to keep to help prevent sway.
  • Rear swaybar. I'm adapting a swaybar from a GM SUV rear axle to my truck. Again, helps prevent sway.
  • Airbag helper springs in the rear. The 1/2 ton springs are fine for daily driving but drop several hundred pounds of weight on the tongue and you want to give them a hand.
Once I get all of this finished, I should be able to safely handle 10,000 pounds of trailer behind my truck.

In the grand scheme of things, it's far more cost effective to buy a used 3/4 ton pickup and just use it to tow. But I get it. The Jeep truck has a bigger cool factor that you don't get with a generic truck from the big 3.

JeepManiac

Post by JeepManiac »

I looked into things like this recently. Trailer brake laws differ by state. But as far as "should" have trailer brakes, it's legally required in nearly all states. One of the highest allowed is Alaska where up to a 5000 lb trailer you don't have to have trailer brakes. Some states list stopping distance which is odd.

And the other thing I have always wondered is the idea derf said he should be able to tow 10,000 lbs. I believe legally speaking no matter what you do to your truck you can't tow more than what the truck was rated for from the manufacturer. If you hit someone and were found to be towing more than you're technically rated for you may be ticketed or worse (I guess, I'm just typing out loud). I'm not certain on that, but it has always been my understanding. Never read it myself.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

JeepManiac wrote:And the other thing I have always wondered is the idea derf said he should be able to tow 10,000 lbs. I believe legally speaking no matter what you do to your truck you can't tow more than what the truck was rated for from the manufacturer. If you hit someone and were found to be towing more than you're technically rated for you may be ticketed or worse (I guess, I'm just typing out loud). I'm not certain on that, but it has always been my understanding. Never read it myself.
I believe you are correct, at least from everything I've ever seen. It may be possible to have a truck custom titled, but I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, in most states. Your vehicle was rated for what it was rated, no amount of upgrades will change the title.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

Were there towing capacities regulations in '66? I don't recall any weight restrictions nor limits on my '73.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Technically there were any towing standards until J2807 came out in like 2012. Before that it was auto makers trying to get their limits as high as they could without being super unsafe.

So back in the 60-70’s tow rating were practically made up.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ