one shop says truck is fine, one shop says it's a disaster not worth saving.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

So I recently drove my 84 GW to Montana for my sister. Had it checked out before and the shop said it looked alright, shocks needed replacing soon but not asap.
The shop she took t to in Montana said basically 'this car isn't work saving at all' and gave a laundry list of things including needing a new starter (it for a new one a week ago) and new power steering system (was replaced in January). He said the brake lines were nearly rusted through, multiple transmission fluid leaks (but it's barely needed topping up since I've had it) front upping is shot (other shop said it's ok) etc.

I can't believe that there could be THAT much discrepancy in vehicle report of condition. Unfortunately where she lives there aren't many shops to chose from. I'm also grumpy because this was easily the single rudest shop I've ever communicated with.

What would y'all do?
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

Topic author
memsiej

Re: one shop says truck is fine, one shop says it's a disaster not worth saving.

Post by memsiej »

Also having a hard time communicating with them in the sense that if I ask for follow up information, for example when they say multiple transmission fluid leaks, the dude got cranky and asked if I'm "actually doubting him". So getting more info about his diagnosis is complicated to say the least.

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: one shop says truck is fine, one shop says it's a disaster not worth saving.

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Find a new shop.

Easy answer.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:Find a new shop.

Easy answer.

There are twp shops in town. The first shop (where they usually go) told us to take it to the other one because they'd be better suited for that kind of car. Dilemma!

tedlovesjeeps71

I'd reach out to the Jeep community in the area. Someone around there is familiar with jeeps and can probably help. Having only two choices (and one of them bad w/the other disinterested) means you have almost no choices locally. The bad shop sounds like they want to rape you. Don't do business with them. The one who turned you away doesn't sound much better. How far to another town with maybe better choices?

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

memsiej wrote:Also having a hard time communicating with them in the sense that if I ask for follow up information, for example when they say multiple transmission fluid leaks, the dude got cranky and asked if I'm "actually doubting him". So getting more info about his diagnosis is complicated to say the least.
The answer to that question is ALWAYS a resounding yes, even more so if someone has to ask you.

As mentioned, that shop should automatically be blacklisted. With a quote like that, there is no question they're out to take you for a ride. If possible a BBB report would be in order.

Honestly, though, if you need to have someone else work on your vehicle for you (or a family member), this is NOT the right vehicle for you. I love my truck, it's great, I've had it for longer than a lot of people have been alive now, but I would dump it in a heartbeat if I couldn't maintain it myself. There's just no economical point in keeping something that is always going to need a lot of maintenance, and that's exactly what these rigs are.

Do yourself and your sister a favor, and get her something more reliable if one of you can't do the vast majority of the work on it yourselves.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Cecil14 wrote:
memsiej wrote:Also having a hard time communicating with them in the sense that if I ask for follow up information, for example when they say multiple transmission fluid leaks, the dude got cranky and asked if I'm "actually doubting him". So getting more info about his diagnosis is complicated to say the least.
The answer to that question is ALWAYS a resounding yes, even more so if someone has to ask you.

As mentioned, that shop should automatically be blacklisted. With a quote like that, there is no question they're out to take you for a ride. If possible a BBB report would be in order.

Honestly, though, if you need to have someone else work on your vehicle for you (or a family member), this is NOT the right vehicle for you. I love my truck, it's great, I've had it for longer than a lot of people have been alive now, but I would dump it in a heartbeat if I couldn't maintain it myself. There's just no economical point in keeping something that is always going to need a lot of maintenance, and that's exactly what these rigs are.

Do yourself and your sister a favor, and get her something more reliable if one of you can't do the vast majority of the work on it yourselves.

aa
Totally valid. She has a daily driver, this vehicle is just a fun 'cruise around town' car because it's her dream car. I can maintain it and did most of the work on it, she doesn't do any car work though. And I live in Seattle where I worked on it, she lives in Montana. Shouldve included that info! :D

letank

Post by letank »

This shop has a boat/mortgage payment coming, they need fresh money and are ready to replace anything. As said if they cannot pin point the leak or reason, they are probably going to bill you a lot for not needed work, and they probably do not know how to do it... and is unfortunately very common.

You made it to Montana and gained experience in Jeep Maintenance and Repairs... Yes they all leak, if it does not leak, it means that you are out of it.

Many years ago, I had to refill engine oil while refilling for gas... so it took time to fix the leaks... and more leaks show after a while.

2 shops in town... may be the next town... may be yelp has some good resources...

Time to go on the dating game and find a partner that can fix stuff... not only FSJ but other goods as well
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

If it's not something that needs to be depended on for regular use, then I would say get whatever free quotes you can from wherever and start hitting the work it needs as it needs it. I don't know how frequently you make the trip over there, but it sounds like some work should be planned into any trips that do happen.

This is the perfect use case for a bit more modernized rig. The rust and regular wear you can deal with to some extent, but let's face it, newer vehicles are (statistically) WAY more reliable than anything from the 70s or 80s. If you could drop a more modern driveline in that wag, it would likely suit your sister much much better. That is, of course, a huge undertaking both financially and time-wise.

Ultimately, what you do it up to you. If there are no shops in town you can trust (or that are willing to work on it reasonably), then the work falls to you. If you're willing to hold to that commitment, awesomeness. You're a better brother than I am. ;)

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

sounds like they want you to spend money on un needed repairs...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

I'm a terrible brother, but an OK sister! Which is another thing I wonder... did the shop talk to me like I'm an idiot because I'm a woman? Happens more often than I'd like to admit. A guy just learning about cars gets 'heck yea bro lemme help you out' a woman learning to work on cars gets 'cute... call me when you BEEP something up!' :roll:

**NOT on this forum. Y'all are awesome.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Hahaha, my apologies. :) You're definitely a better sister than I am, then.

It's very possible, as terrible as it is, that your gender is the cause of the ridiculous quote. Everything else stands, though. If they're not willing to do right by you, then return the favor and do everything in your power to destroy their business and reputation. :) There's little worse than a slimy business, and there's a lot of them these days.

aa

tedlovesjeeps71

memsiej wrote:I'm a terrible brother, but an OK sister! Which is another thing I wonder... did the shop talk to me like I'm an idiot because I'm a woman? Happens more often than I'd like to admit. A guy just learning about cars gets 'heck yea bro lemme help you out' a woman learning to work on cars gets 'cute... call me when you BEEP something up!' :roll:

I wish I could deny that that happens. My mom and sisters have religiously been raked over the coals for car repairs over the years. It infuriated me as I was nowhere near due to the Army but have actually taken leave once for the sole purpose of ripping a stealership a new one for trying to take advantage of my mom. Flew in, fixer her car with a $16 drive belt and a new air filter which was way different than the $780.00 tune up/inspection they tried to sell her. Drove the car up there and had a very heated discussion with the service manager and the tech who tried to up sell her.

troopthrowback

Post by troopthrowback »

memsiej wrote:I'm a terrible brother, but an OK sister! Which is another thing I wonder... did the shop talk to me like I'm an idiot because I'm a woman? Happens more often than I'd like to admit. A guy just learning about cars gets 'heck yea bro lemme help you out' a woman learning to work on cars gets 'cute... call me when you BEEP something up!' Image

Yes, yes, and yes.

To clarify, I’d be very surprised if the rape you were quoted had anything to do with anything but your sex.

Shop quote was an effort to remove your lines from your wallet, the “are you questioning me” was an attempt to remove your better judgement from the situation.

Crush that business and buy all your oil changes from the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

letank

Post by letank »

As a rule gets everything in writing for any work, clearly as needed to fix a defined problem... so you can get your money back if the problem is not fixed, small claims court is the perfect set up.

It is very common to be charged for wrong diagnostics: a colleague was charged for a radiator them a water pump... and finally the thermostat solved the overheating... I told her to ask them to reinstall your old radiator and old waterpump as it did not fix the issue... but she was not willing to recover $700 in unneeded bills...

And many more like this... like the autotech at the local tech school that could not diagnose one of their friends car issues... yes it was a grand cherokee...

Autorepair is a real jungle, it is probably why a lot of people rather buy new or newer every few years
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

will e

Post by will e »

Seriously, part of the fun of these rigs is working on them. Since it is drivable you can start with the easier stuff and move on to more advanced stuff later. Even leaving some stuff for 'the professionals'. You'll invest some money in tools but it's cheaper than labor. And if it gives you grief on a road trip you can often get it going again by yourself. The group here will support you in learning.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Not even drivable.. it WAS when we dropped it off. Then they said the starter went out (even though I'd replaced it a few days prior) and when they turned the key all they got was a click click click. I'm getting it towed back to my sisters place and gonna drive out there in a few days and work on it.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

This may be me being cynical, but if you know what you're looking at already, watch for signs of sabotage. It's entirely possible someone pulled a wire off to later claim it broke, or rotted, or whatever. This place is sounding more and more shady every post.

edit: Do you have the receipt for the starter you put on there? Make sure they didn't swap it out on you, only to claim it now needs replaced.

aa

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I replaced my starter with a referb from NAPA. a few weeks later it was whirling and not moving the plunger forward. I took it back, as with all NAPA parts, it has a lifetime guarantee. Of course, I tend to agree with Tommy Boy about warranties printed on the box.

As for places to take your Jeep when needed... unless you are up past the weeds in Glasgow, MT... there are quality of places that I know of around Helena, Bozeman, and Butte. If there are only 2 shops in town, it might have to go to another shop in another town. PITA? You bet. Worth not having to put up with Man-Splaining? Abso-friggin-lutely worth it.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Yea I'm a little worried they messed up something on that new starter. Who knows though- maybe I got unlucky and put in a faulty one. Either way, like I said, heading out there to work on it and do the things I should have done before the trip.

Mostly, taking care of as many seals and gaskets at possible, doing another oil change after the long journey, replacing shocks, and rear drums (will probably pay someone to do that).

Also still need to adjust the shift linkage because it'll sometimes roll when in park and then only start in neutral.

We're towing it to another place today, getting another opinion, and getting it outta that shop ASAP.