one shop says truck is fine, one shop says it's a disaster not worth saving.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

candymancan

Re: one shop says truck is fine, one shop says it's a disaster not worth saving.

Post by candymancan »

This is what ive learned owning a ZJ for 7 years and then my Wagoneer for 2 yeara now. THERE ARE ZERO shops who want to work on them they are all afraid of breaking things and liability.

I have yet to find a shop who will do my exhaust manifolds... I even had a hard time to get a shop to do my tint without bitching about the age of my vehicle.

This is one reason i hate mechanics.. Not the only reason but a big reason. They are all pussies.. and th3y have laibility insurance for a reason.. Dont be a mechanic by trade if youre afraid to touch anything thays 10 years or older..

My brake limes are really rusted on the drivers side as well by the frame rail and engine mount.. God knows what they look like where the gas tank is... My temp solution was to coat them in like 3 or 4 coats of rust reformer.

Not looking foward to replacing them... No idea where they eveb sell new ones for this vehicle.. And tbh i dont even feel like touching the Jeep anymore besides drive it.. I work3d non stop on it for 2 years and it burned me out lol... its been like 7 months and im still meh on wanting to work on it. The only good thing about working on it for 2 years before being burned out is i fixed 70% of the rust 90% of the leaks.. and probly 95% of the electrical problems.. Now its pretty much leak free.. new suspension (minus one rear leaf.. i dont wanna drop the tank ....sniff) runs and drives.... Uhg but i still have so mucj more rust to fix... and itll never end...

Is that normal to not wanna work on something that long ?
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

will e

Re: one shop says truck is fine, one shop says it's a disaster not worth saving.

Post by will e »

memsiej wrote: Also still need to adjust the shift linkage because it'll sometimes roll when in park and then only start in neutral.
Don't leave it running in Park with no one in the driver seat until you get this fixed. It can slip into reverse. :shock:

Do you think your sister is interested in learning about working on the Jeep?
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Lol one time mine was in park.. i opened the hood revved the engine to check something.. and it somehow slipped out if park into drive for a second and smacked into my knees... I got lucky i didnt get run over... Hasnt done it since but i dont do thst anymore just in case lol

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

OH GOOD she called to have it towed outta there and they said she owes $230 for the work they've done on it so far. She did not give ANY permission for them to start working on it and they wouldn't tell her what they did.

How is this real???
1984 Grand Wagoneer V8 5.9

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Everything in writing, as mentioned. If she didn't approve an estimate, they're SOL. Definitely ask for a definitive list, in ink, of what they did. And if they moved any parts, they need to be provided to you.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

candymancan wrote:This is what ive learned owning a ZJ for 7 years and then my Wagoneer for 2 yeara now. THERE ARE ZERO shops who want to work on them they are all afraid of breaking things and liability.

I have yet to find a shop who will do my exhaust manifolds... I even had a hard time to get a shop to do my tint without bitching about the age of my vehicle.

This is one reason i hate mechanics.. Not the only reason but a big reason. They are all pussies.. and th3y have laibility insurance for a reason.. Dont be a mechanic by trade if youre afraid to touch anything thays 10 years or older..

My brake limes are really rusted on the drivers side as well by the frame rail and engine mount.. God knows what they look like where the gas tank is... My temp solution was to coat them in like 3 or 4 coats of rust reformer.

Not looking foward to replacing them... No idea where they eveb sell new ones for this vehicle.. And tbh i dont even feel like touching the Jeep anymore besides drive it.. I work3d non stop on it for 2 years and it burned me out lol... its been like 7 months and im still meh on wanting to work on it. The only good thing about working on it for 2 years before being burned out is i fixed 70% of the rust 90% of the leaks.. and probly 95% of the electrical problems.. Now its pretty much leak free.. new suspension (minus one rear leaf.. i dont wanna drop the tank ....sniff) runs and drives.... Uhg but i still have so mucj more rust to fix... and itll never end...

You hate mechanics but complain about all the difficulties and hassles of working on your vehicle? While I understand that there are a large number of bad "mechanics" out there, none are magicians. Those same problems and issues you dealt with are ones they would have as well. Difference being they can't work at their own pace and cut corners because their work is being paid to be done correctly.

Good, fast, cheap.... Pick two.

tedlovesjeeps71

memsiej wrote:OH GOOD she called to have it towed outta there and they said she owes $230 for the work they've done on it so far. She did not give ANY permission for them to start working on it and they wouldn't tell her what they did.

How is this real???
It's real. And a blatant indicator that the shop is crooked and needs to be addressed with the BBB.

Cecil14 wrote:Everything in writing, as mentioned. If she didn't approve an estimate, they're SOL. Definitely ask for a definitive list, in ink, of what they did. And if they moved any parts, they need to be provided to you.

aa
^^this^^
They must produce a work order showing the estimate, parts and labor costs, and (most importantly) a signature from your sis authorizing any charges or work be performed. Sounds like the vehicle needs to be removed asap so they don't continue to be shady.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:
candymancan wrote:This is what ive learned owning a ZJ for 7 years and then my Wagoneer for 2 yeara now. THERE ARE ZERO shops who want to work on them they are all afraid of breaking things and liability.

You hate mechanics but complain about all the difficulties and hassles of working on your vehicle? While I understand that there are a large number of bad "mechanics" out there, none are magicians. Those same problems and issues you dealt with are ones they would have as well. Difference being they can't work at their own pace and cut corners because their work is being paid to be done correctly.

I dont hate mechanics. Not at all. I hate THIS mechanic, and at this point feel very justified in hating them.

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Really unsure how to move forward at this point. Obviously want to get it out of there ASAP but not ready to drop $230 when I don't know what they did and we never asked them to do anything in the first place. I HIGHLY doubt this place will give us the keys without the money changing hands.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

There are a LOT of crappy mechanics out there. There are also a lot of great ones. Like tedlovesjeeps71 said, there's no magic involved. Sometimes the work people are asking for sucks and costs more than people would be realistically willing to pay, a good mechanic will explain that and give any options available.

I prefer to work on my own stuff because I've seen how badly people get ripped off. At least if I know what I'm working with, I can call someone out when I do have to take something somewhere. A basic education on this stuff goes a LONG ways, even if you don't want to actually turn the wrenches yourself.

There will always be crooks out there, you just have to do your best to avoid them.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

tedlovesjeeps71

memsiej wrote:Really unsure how to move forward at this point. Obviously want to get it out of there ASAP but not ready to drop $230 when I don't know what they did and we never asked them to do anything in the first place. I HIGHLY doubt this place will give us the keys without the money changing hands.
Has your sister tried to pick up the Jeep (with tow truck)? Have they denied her? Do they have paperwork showing approval to perform work?

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

memsiej wrote:Really unsure how to move forward at this point. Obviously want to get it out of there ASAP but not ready to drop $230 when I don't know what they did and we never asked them to do anything in the first place. I HIGHLY doubt this place will give us the keys without the money changing hands.
Go and take pics of anything and everything. Ask them for the itemized list of what they did, what they think they're charging you for, any parts that were replaced, etc. Every penny needs to be accounted for. And when they insist on money, you insist on an approved work order. If things start getting really bad, you file a small claims suit. That sucks, and it's way more work on your side than you should have to deal with, but it will be wonderful advertising for this place.

aa

tedlovesjeeps71

memsiej wrote:
tedlovesjeeps71 wrote:

I dont hate mechanics. Not at all. I hate THIS mechanic, and at this point feel very justified in hating them.
Sounds like you're justified. Some people suck, that's a fact. My last shop I had a lead tech who would upsell anything he could find on a vehicle. When I noticed some of his recommendations were unwarranted and called him on it he became belligerent. He tried to tell me that the shop needed to make money and he was gonna make that happen. I told him he was a crook. Thankfully he quit a few days later.

letank

Post by letank »

use a credit card, upon provided with a detailled bill, and the initial work order. Then contest the charges... a serious inquiry will be done by the CC company, and you have chances that the charges be reversed, but you need to have all the paperwork from the shop.

good luck

As for the starter, yes they can go bad in a short time... mine from Oreillys failed within months, I had to replace it on the road on my way to Moab 2 years ago

always travel with cardboard or get cardboard from any store such as the fireworks stand in Battle Mountain, NV and coverall

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

memsiej wrote:OH GOOD she called to have it towed outta there and they said she owes $230 for the work they've done on it so far. She did not give ANY permission for them to start working on it and they wouldn't tell her what they did.

How is this real???

Oh its real... My mom when i was a kid brought her 98 4.0 zj (one in sig i grew up in) to a shop because the engine whole vehicle was shaking violentely... They had it in the shop for a week straight couldnt find the cause so they claimed.. then they called a jeep guy over and they fpund thr number 3 valve spring broke... When she got the bill it was 1700$ because they did a million things replacing stuff that didnt need replaced.

Now that im working on cars it discusts me how they wouldnt habe thought of a valve spring to cause this issue.. instead they replaced her water pump and all that other stuff.. like really ??

Topic author
memsiej

Post by memsiej »

Well, spent the afternoon trying to get them to replace the starter (they'd cover the part because they work with Oreillys). They said they needed proof of purchase. I called my local Oreillys and they gave me the order number, said it's all they need to look it up. I call the shop, they say "I'm not looking anything up. I don't have time for that. Fax me what I need".
So I called back asking if they could fax it. This Oreillys tried for 45 minutes, got a busy signal each time. I called the shop and they said "Yea our CC machine ties up the fax line so it's usually busy". "OK... how else can I get you this paperwork since you wont look it up yourself?" "Keep faxin".
It got to the point where the Oreillys called them and talked to them to clarify that the part had been purchased from them.

Hours later my sister called to see if they got the paperwork squared away (we hadn't heard anything) and they said "yea your cars done. You gonna come get it before we close?"

WTFFFFFF

They charged her $250 for diagnostics and fluids. She just paid and got the eff outta there.

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

That's still a phenomenal case to bring up to a CC company and the BBB. This place needs to go out of business and everyone working there ruined for life. No sympathy for garbage like this.

aa

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

To help other members in the future, do you mind giving the name of the shop in question?

aa

melford72

Post by melford72 »

Cecil14 wrote:To help other members in the future, do you mind giving the name of the shop in question?

aa
Was just going to ask the same question.

The cash you had to drop is a bummer. But you can consider it an investment in your peace of mind. There was no way you were going to win dealing with them, and it likely would have just kept escalating. Small price to pay in the long run.
70 1414x
5.3 LMG/4L60e/Dana 20
Dana 44s front and rear with 3.73s and discs

Previously, 72 Wagoneer
Carbed, Cammed, and Lifted

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

melford72 wrote:The cash you had to drop is a bummer. But you can consider it an investment in your peace of mind. There was no way you were going to win dealing with them, and it likely would have just kept escalating. Small price to pay in the long run.
That is, unfortunately, the exact mentality that keeps places like this in business. That's not a knock at you at all. It really sucks fighting that battle, and most people aren't up for it, but if more people were willing to throw down and not be pushed around places like this wouldn't exist.

aa