Steering colum

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
btaylor044

Steering colum

Post by btaylor044 »

Hi All,
New guy here. I have a 1965 Jeep J2000 truck. My problem is finding steering column info. it has the 3 speed manual on the column. The shifter and down is there but no ignition or electrical stuff. Is there another year or type of vehicle I can swap it with?

Thanks in advance

tgreese

Re: Steering colum

Post by tgreese »

Where are you located? It would be good to put that and your vehicle specs in your sig.

The ignition switch is in the dash. The turn signal switch and horn are in the column. I think indicators switch is a GM part, not sure. I suspect it will not cross to anything GM, since the connector will be different. You may be able to make the GM part work if you adapt the connector. If you are missing the horn button, that will be a junkyard item, or post up on the WTB (want to buy) forum here and at IFSJA.

There is a parts book that covers your year here http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html - 62-73 J Series. The illustrations may help you, and sometimes the Jeep PNs can be crossed to modern aftermarket parts. Do not expect much parts support other than regular service parts - these trucks were not produced in great numbers and don't have a large following today.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

MJMadness

Re: Steering colum

Post by MJMadness »

It was suggested to me that an early C/K truck (GM truck) steering column would be very similar. You can buy new ones on eBay for very little money.

I chose to go the XJ column route myself.