Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Bones

Post by Bones »

Hello Everyone,

I look forward to the vast amount of info provided on this site. I just purchased my first 1988 GW and picking it up in 4 days.

A quick overview: It came from NY and ended up in NJ and there it sat for a few yrs in the yard next to the garage, the seller planned to restore and these are my best scores. $500 bucks. It seems pretty solid without lifting the carpet. Hasn't run in over a year so I plan to replace fuel filter, new batt, fill radiator, gas and fire it up! A lot easier to load on the trailer. Inside there are New DS/PS door panels in boxes (bonus) It looks pretty stock except it's missing the radio and its full of mice. haha. Attached a Pic.... Thanks for all the welcome comments in advance...
88GW.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

letank

Re: New Member

Post by letank »

Welcome, $500, yeaaah, we should have a club called the 500's for those purchases of $500 or less... my 85 was $250 in 2002.

Mice, time for mint oil to chase the last occupants. The mice can stay in the seats, or above the headliner, if your headliner is still holding up.

Don't forget transmission and transfer case fluid levels, those tend to leak slowly thru hardened seals, mine was low on transfer case fluid...

As for old gas, it can run if you dump a 1/4 cup down the carb throat... to speed up priming of the mechanical fuel pump with the engine reving up at idle.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome to the club! Yeah, my second one was $800. Often the entry cost is cheap but get ready to hold onto your wallet!

There are a lot of friendly and helpful folks on this site. You will like it here.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Good Luck :) Hope you find very little that needs done :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
Bones

Post by Bones »

Thanks all. Yup! I expect issues. I've picked up many things in this condition but definitely this will challenge me. I was a flipper before American Pickers & the economy ruined that sweet side job. Jeeps are not totally new to me last year my pops gave me our (now) 3rd generation 1950 Willy's. It was a plow truck much of it's life and it needed a lot to get it road worthy. I set a goal of 3 months so everyday after work & weekends I hammered out issues. 3 months & 2weeks for my first test drive. It's a drifter but pretty sweet ride. I added other pic's still learning site so bare with me how pic's are down loaded.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Welcome!
That is a sweet old CJ! Is it a 2A or 3A? We have a 50 3B (low hood) that my father-in-law built. I should know more about them, but I put it in dry storage to be gone through when we get settled. Love the hard top.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Topic author
Bones

Post by Bones »

Its a 3A Jeep with a 2A windshield Frame. The squared corners fit better on the top. I have doors and back window frame too, just never got around to them yet.

So my plan of attack on the 88 GW follows:

1) Day of, try to get it running.
2) Next, Take out seats, carpet, wash everything to include engine bay.
3) Test ignition system (if it doesn't) run & order HEI system. If it runs Service Truck, tune up, fluids, grease drivetrain and so on. Then order HEI at some point. "PB Blaster everything"
4) Check All Electrical stuff.
5) Lube up windows.
6) Brakes w/extended lines. PB Blaster everything for #9
7) Take off wood pattern.
8) Fix any issues on the body and paint.
9) The fun stuff: 4" lift & Wheels

The stuff I'll hit many of you up for could be:

The ignition stuff and I'm not 100% what I will need to do just yet. I saw post with a wire diagram where a person used the HEI Relay and another didn't. All of the crazy vacuum lines, Gas tank stuff. I'll surf the site first before I start asking simple to you or crazy questions.

Topic author
Bones

Post by Bones »

New pic's.

It will start if I put gas in carb. The rubber fuel lines to the new fuel filter leak and to the charcoal canister I see wet lines. If it runs I'm gonna address all the rubber fuel lines to include vacuum lines. I will take pics of the inside once I remove interior. enjoy!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Looks in good shape.

I would skip the HEI distributor. Use the existing distributor with the "TFI upgrade" and you'll have functionally the same thing, without risking destroying your camshaft gear from the new import distributor. Lots to read about this - don't descide until you are well informed.

You can use an HEI module with the factory Duraspark distributor, or an MSD module if you prefer. No difference between the factory Duraspark and the GM HEI clone other than packaging.
Last edited by tgreese on Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Bones

Post by Bones »

OK. Thanks.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

NP! Also, I suggest you get the TSM for your year. For some reason there is no manual for '88 available, but according to BJs the '89 manual is the one you want - http://www.bjsoffroad.com/1989-Jeep-Fac ... _1059.html

Cheap on CD-ROm from RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 72&jsn=408

The emissions devices and fuel delivery are covered in the TSM. Most all of your service and repair questions will be covered by the TSM.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Bones

Post by Bones »

CD is currently in my RockAuto cart. I can print and add to a 3 ring binder the sections I will be working on from work. I also do the white board thing in my garage to list the items I need. I will make a bulk purchase of the MUST REPAIR items. It seems RockAuto has the best prices currently. After getting a decent look at this truck I may keep it more close to stock but a driver. I had the idea it was in worse shape than it is. It does have a sticker from a shop in Florida. I tried calling the number but it was disconnected.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

RockAuto prices are pretty good. They source stuff from many different warehouses, which often makes finding the lowest combination of shipping prices and parts prices quite a puzzle.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

letank

Post by letank »

can't remember the change in 88 or 89 for the starter , you need to either check the parts catalog or send a pict of your starter unit
parts catalog on oljeep, there are specs per year

Change year is 88 for the Ford type starter
JR77 5123
3300 2709 for the export line

the older style with separate solenoid
JR77 5001
J575 2791 for the export line
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I got myself one of the manuals :) Just now...the cd rom version that is :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"