In search of Body and Paint North Dallas area

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
NTX88Woody

In search of Body and Paint North Dallas area

Post by NTX88Woody »

Hello, I have come to the body and paint stage in my rebuild/restoration of my 1988 Grand Wagoneer. I am new to the NTX area specifically the Prosper, Frisco, Plano, McKinney area and am having a very difficult time finding a reliably affordable body and paint shop. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

tgreese

Re: In search of Body and Paint North Dallas area

Post by tgreese »

No one specifically to recommend, but you might look on your local Craig's List. Sometimes painters that do work on the side will advertise there.

Usually body shops don't want respray work. There is more money to be made in collision repair, and the turnaround for those jobs is faster. If you do enough prep yourself, you can often get a good result at the "one day" paint shops. This can be especially effective if you don't change colors - leave the doors and hood shut and just paint the exterior.

I'd also suggest you ask at your local hot rod club meets and on any local hot rod bulletin boards.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

dodgerammit

Re: In search of Body and Paint North Dallas area

Post by dodgerammit »

Yeah, search for custom shops or shops that specialize in classics or cater to the classic car crowd. Maybe even a google search and drive by to see what is sitting in their lot. If you see a bunch of smashed up modern rides, mark them off your list. If you see classics or hot rods, they may be worth a stop in.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD