Strong Fuel Smell after Filling

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

The Waggie has created a bit of a stink after full tank fill. Enough to where the entire garage smells strongly of fuel after two days parked in the garage.

I see where some have replaced metal tanks with poly, any other areas need checked or replaced such a check valves, fill lines, other?

Thanks in advance.
‘78 Wagoneer
401 with street cam, heads, headers, Holley Sniper EFI, rear discs, Alcan springs, Trucklite LED headlights

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Strong Fuel Smell after Filling

Post by Stuka »

First thing I would check is the vents and the fuel sender. But, you have to drop the tank on a '78 as I recall. I don't think they added the door in the floor until 84ish. Also check the filler tube. Chances are you have a cracked line, or the fuel sender gasket is leaking.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Yeah filler tubes crack real bad after a while.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

Topic author
Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

Thanks guys, I may just redo the whole shebang but will start with the lines, vents, filler tube, and sender/pump gaskets.

Much appreciated.
‘78 Wagoneer
401 with street cam, heads, headers, Holley Sniper EFI, rear discs, Alcan springs, Trucklite LED headlights

letank

Post by letank »

can't remember the 78 layout, but check the vent hose running by the rear driver's side quarter panel wheel well...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The TSM has a detailed picture of the fuel plumbing. If you don't have the '78 TSM, it would be worthwhile to obtain it. They are available as CD-ROM at RockAuto for under $25.

The '77 and '79 TSMs are available for download here http://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html but I would go ahead and obtain the proper year. The emissions and fuel systems were changing rapidly in that era, and owning the proper year manual will be very helpful.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

Thanks fellas, the odors are indeed strongest near the filler and vent tubes at the drivers side rear quarter.

Those diagrams are tremendous, will get the 78 from Rock Auto. I have the Haynes but it lacks some detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
‘78 Wagoneer

Curly

Post by Curly »

Just going to second the fuel filler hoses by the rear quarter. When I bought my 77, the vent tube elbows were completely blown, letting all the gas tank vapor into the passenger compartment.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

Sender gasket and o-ring were all wonky with no seal and looked to have been twisted upon prior install. Fuel was sloshing out the top.

Much appreciate the help. Cheers.
‘78 Wagoneer

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Glad you got it fixed!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Yeah. Holy cow. How long has that been going on? Seems dangerous lol.

They are good tanks and caps if they're screwed on right and have the o ring and seal.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.