Door handles.

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
toothofwar

Door handles.

Post by toothofwar »

Ok, I'm at my wits end here. I have sold a pair of door handles and now the time has come to pull them off and ship them out. I have been 2 days trying to get them off without damaging them. I have scoured the net looking for help...but no luck. Anyone have any help to give. I'll gladly pm my number to someone who would be interested in talking me through it. I know it can't be that bad. These are in an 83 cherokee. Thanks!ImageImage

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ShagWagon

Re: Door handles.

Post by ShagWagon »

I never did one before, but it it looks like to me caps over some screws. I'd use a nylon prybar to try and pry them off to expose screws? Nylon prybar shouldn't damage anything. They may slide off forwards and backwards or just pry straight up.

Hope it helps good luck.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

letank

Post by letank »

utiity razor blade is what I use, because it is thin enough to wedge between the aluminum cover and the plastic support
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Yeah, the brushed aluminum covers the screws, not the chromey plastic which is held by the screws.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

You need to peel back the center insert (the brushed aluminum in the center of the chrome bracket). It's thin and held by adhesive, like a veneer and easily damaged, so use a razor blade and work gently. Once that's off there are two phillips screws on each side that hold the handle and the bracket to the door.
1984 GW