Narrow vs. Wide Track FSJ Use?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

tgreese

Re: Narrow vs. Wide Track FSJ Use?

Post by tgreese »

If you can find a hood bar, your local automotive paint supply can make spray cans with your original paint color. A '78 should be paint code 6D "Sand Tan" - this is shown on your VIN plate.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

tgreese wrote:If you can find a hood bar, your local automotive paint supply can make spray cans with your original paint color. A '78 should be paint code 6D "Sand Tan" - this is shown on your VIN plate.
Nice! Ta! If I elect to keep the paint job then I will do that with my white hood bar. :)
Last edited by Santeh on Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Yup. The patina was something I never really thought of, but I have got a lot of compliments on my Jeep even with the rust and fade.

Hit that paint with some rubbing compound followed with some wax. You might be surprised.
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

ghcoe wrote:Yup. The patina was something I never really thought of, but I have got a lot of compliments on my Jeep even with the rust and fade.

Hit that paint with some rubbing compound followed with some wax. You might be surprised.
That is a gorgeous Chief! Nicely done!

I am not sure what constitutes a proper rubbing compound, yet I will look into it. Thank you! As for wax, would a standard automotive such as a carnauba work? I have heard some Jeep guys say they like Meguiars Ultimate Wax (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-wax.html), but I am not sure it would be good for all cases (here on an older paint job).

I had to drop off some more parts to the mechanic today, so I quickly snapped a few pictures to show the look of "El Blanco" with the white hood bar, as well as the 31" tires that are currently on the Cherokee...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1978 Jeep Cherokee S; 5.9L/360 V8 automatic/FiTech fuel injection and Davis Unified Distributor systems.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Look for links about "cut and buff." Here's a whole forum about this topic - https://www.autobody101.com/forums/view ... 6250c5080b

The folks on Autobody101.com have helped me a lot. They seem to be a civil bunch too.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

Just to throw in my 2c (probably worth just that), be careful on the rubbing compound. Keep your orbital moving so you don't burn right through the old paint and use a lower speed. Paint depth and quality in those days was not near what it is these days on new vehicles. You can burn through pretty quick since the paint may no longer be very thick. If you knew a nice body shop, they might check the thickness for you before you start. Or better yet, if you don't mind spending a little money, let an experienced body shop cut, polish, and buff it for you. Should not be too expensive, and they may get some amazing results out of the paint with a master's touch.

A good body shop friend of mine told me not to touch my paint and patina (when I inquired about repainting my chief), but to keep a nice coat of wax on it and it would last for years to come. Just can't recreate the patina or the years of "memories" some of our paint have. But you can capture it and keep it for many years with just a little elbow grease from time to time. As long as you are not going for a full restoration of course...

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Santeh wrote:hat is a gorgeous Chief! Nicely done!

Thanks! Well not Technically a Chief. No Chief stickers on this one.

I am not sure what constitutes a proper rubbing compound, yet I will look into it. Thank you! As for wax, would a standard automotive such as a carnauba work? I have heard some Jeep guys say they like Meguiars Ultimate Wax (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-ultimate-wax.html), but I am not sure it would be good for all cases (here on an older paint job).

I usually use Mequiars cleaner wax, but have used others. I use Turtle Wax Renew Rx Rubbing Compound Heavy Duty Cleaner (Green Can) I think they also make a light duty cleaner too (red can?). I did it all by hand, no power tools. Get a cloth to apply the rubbing compound with and have a spray bottle with water. When the compound gets a bit had to work with spray a mist of water on it and you will be good to go for a few more swirls. Concentrate on the hard spots and just go light across the rest. I worked on a panel at a time so I would not get burned out doing it. Usually a panel a day, but sometimes two if I felt up to it. Once you get it clean keep it waxed up! I go through a lot of brush and get scratches. If they need to be cleaned up a bit I just add a bit of the rubbing compound to the wax when working on that section. Usually works the scratch out and waxes at the same time.

I had to drop off some more parts to the mechanic today, so I quickly snapped a few pictures to show the look of "El Blanco" with the white hood bar, as well as the 31" tires that are currently on the Cherokee... Ok! tell us more about the front license plate?!
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Not sure if you have a Motor Trend on Demand subscription or not, but there is an episode of Roadkill Garage where they clean up the pain on Freiburger's Roadrunner. And they go over how they went about it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Santeh

Post by Santeh »

ghcoe wrote:
Santeh wrote:hat is a gorgeous Chief! Nicely done!

Thanks! Well not Technically a Chief. No Chief stickers on this one.

I usually use Mequiars cleaner wax, but have used others. I use Turtle Wax Renew Rx Rubbing Compound Heavy Duty Cleaner (Green Can) I think they also make a light duty cleaner too (red can?). I did it all by hand, no power tools. Get a cloth to apply the rubbing compound with and have a spray bottle with water. When the compound gets a bit had to work with spray a mist of water on it and you will be good to go for a few more swirls. Concentrate on the hard spots and just go light across the rest. I worked on a panel at a time so I would not get burned out doing it. Usually a panel a day, but sometimes two if I felt up to it. Once you get it clean keep it waxed up! I go through a lot of brush and get scratches. If they need to be cleaned up a bit I just add a bit of the rubbing compound to the wax when working on that section. Usually works the scratch out and waxes at the same time.

I had to drop off some more parts to the mechanic today, so I quickly snapped a few pictures to show the look of "El Blanco" with the white hood bar, as well as the 31" tires that are currently on the Cherokee... Ok! tell us more about the front license plate?!
I am sorry to just now reply, all, yet it has been a busy couple of days.

Thank you, everyone, for all the thoughts and advice. There is certainly a lot to digest! I must say that this is a great forum as you all have been wonderful!

I am still leaning towards Line X the interior, the Carbeau Baja RS seats, and I think I just might keep the patina look and use everyone good advice to polish out the existing paint. Thanks guys!

As for the license plate, my mom's side of the family is originally from Ireland and I still have a good friend in Dublin which is where the plate is from (it says Baile Átha Cliath). The powers of eBay, yes? :)