Lift Kit

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Domino25

Lift Kit

Post by Domino25 »

I am planning to purchase a suspension lift kit for my 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. What brand can you recommend? I would like to add at least 4-inches of ground clearance on my Jeep.

tgreese

Re: Lift Kit

Post by tgreese »

Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Hell Creek (Gives forum discount), Skyjacker, and BJ's Offroad all have good kits. I would stay away from Rough Country and Super Lift, as their springs are very stiff and do not use tapered leaves.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

This is really a jump down the rabbit hole question. All spring lifts ride stiffer than stock. Just keep that in mind. The arch to give you lift will give you a bumpier ride. GWs perform and look great with 4" lift and 31" tires. If you want tires that are ~12" wide, even a 6" spring lift will produce tire rub in the fenders under articulation. The story goes on, blah, blah, blah... I won't go on the rabbit hunt here. For comfort and great articulation on leaf springs, I would go SOA (spring over front axle) and SF (shackle flip) in the rear. I just wish I had done that first instead of spring lift. You run on your stock springs. YAY. This project is not for the weak of heart. It requires some fab to the front axle for the spring perches and changes made to the spring mounts in the rear. If you don't weld, get an experienced welder on the team. Don't be weak of heart. Go this way. :fsj:
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Markstrimaran

Post by Markstrimaran »

Any good write ups, directions, mostly about the hang ups involved?

I am a welder, by trade. So I am going to fabricate any thing I can, unless it is simply cheaper to buy, like perches. And shackles.

I need, longer brake lines, shocks, relocate steering box, drive shafts, wedged to driveshaft angles?

If I could only find a pdf file of directions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

I purchased the 3" Rough Country lift and to be honest I felt the ride was a bit better over stock. This kit only replaces the front springs, the springs are tapered and have rubber on the end of the springs to keep them quiet. The back uses lift blocks. Shocks so far have worked great. Still as good articulation. https://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country-Su ... +3%22+lift .
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I would love a rough country kit...ahhh...one day :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

4” spring lift kits are totally bolt on. No fan necessary. I’m pretty sure Rusty’s off-road has instructions for their kit on their website. There are also a bunch of walkthroughs here on the forums. I have the old style Rusty’s lift and am pretty happy with it. New kits even smoother riding. Seems most people agree that if money is no object, the Skyjacker kit is the smoothest riding of the over the counter (ie not custom built to order springs).

If your WANTING to do some fab, you may want to look into doing a front shakpe reversal plus a Rancho 2” spring in the front, and your choice of rear 4” spring. That should give you a better ride than the regular 4” spring lift.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

The last estimate I got for my suspension was 1800$ That may have changed. I am thinking that since I wont be riding my Harley again, Ill sell her and get that done.
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"