1979 Chief. Just starting the build. Upgrades?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
sectumsempra

1979 Chief. Just starting the build. Upgrades?

Post by sectumsempra »

Hey everybody!
I just got a 79 Cherokee chief, and I'm starting the build soon.
I have plenty of experience building classic cars, but this will be my first 4X4.
Plans are to do a GenV L83 6L90e swap.
Just about to take the frame off.

Suspension plans are to stay mostly stock, but with enough lift to run 33 inch tires. Going for a reliable, comfortable, daily driver, but with the ability to do some offroad work. This will never see rocks, or anything very extreme.
Your standard restomod. But with more OCD.

Question!

What are some good upgrades to do to the axles and suspension while I have it all out?
I plan on disk brakes all around, and all new bearings, seals, possibly air lockers.
Any new technology I might have missed? Or should I just buy a stock rebuild kit and button it up?

will e

Re: 1979 Chief. Just starting the build. Upgrades?

Post by will e »

Air lockers are a nice option. It already has discs in the front. Rear discs are nice but you won't see that much more performance out of it. You might consider a hydroboost upgrade instead, it will give you more room for the engine swap too. Do both if you have the budget.

With mild wheeling and 33 inch tires you shouldn't have any axle issues.

Is your Chief a wide track? You can get away with less lift if it is. I had springs made at Alcan and love them. But kits are available.

Otherwise axle technology hasn't really changed much. You could buy stronger shafts but I don't know that you need them. I ran 35's pretty hard on the stock axles and never snapped anything.

It's not technically part of the axles but you might look into the TT Fabworks steering brace for the power steering.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Air lockers seem to be overkill based on what you've said so far. The QuadraTrac itself has an air locker. Maybe a limited slip? Good luck on your project!
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Which transfer case will you use? Do you want a part-time or full-time case? With that engine and transmission, I would not keep the Borg-Warner Quadratrac transfer case. IMO the Quadratrac would only be appropriate with the original engine and transmission.

So you will be looking for a transfer case, and adapting it to your transmission. https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/ada ... /kit-6l81/ I'd likely go with the NP241C with a TruTrac in the rear axle and a selectable locker in the front. The factory Dana 44 axles will be fine as long as you don't regularly abuse the Jeep. Any thoughts on axle ratio? The 6L90 has a 0.67 overdrive top gear so you'll want a much deeper axle ratio than stock, particularly with tall tires. With 4.54s, you'll be at 81 mph loafing along at 2500 RPM. This also would give you a pretty good crawl ratio of 50 which will be fine with an automatic.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
sectumsempra

Post by sectumsempra »

I'm more than likely going with the NP241C and deeper gears also.
My chief is a widetrack.
I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks Y'all!