Best way to run a wire through the roof area?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
will e

Best way to run a wire through the roof area?

Post by will e »

I am installing a backup camera on the roof rack. I need to get the power cord into the cab. What kind of grommets and such work well? What should I avoid? Not a lot of rain here in AZ but still don't want to get a lot of water into the headliner. I figure I go with a high spot on the roof, not the ridges. I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas, pictures, horror stories. :fsj:
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Phils67

Re: Best way to run a wire through the roof area?

Post by Phils67 »

Can you come out low somewhere like down by the rear quarter where the gate closes? Maybe just run it up along the inside of the rear gate jamb outside of the weather strip and have it come out top center. I would try something like that before drilling my roof. I have been contemplating the same kinda thing for my XM antenna. Currently it sits on my metal dash but i want to get it on the roof for a better signal. Not a fan of drilling a hole in my trucks cab though. I would think with the hatch you would have easier routing for the wire than us with trucks
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I think if I was doing this, I would come out of the RR pillar about where the washer nozzle is for the 89-91 GW tailgate wiper Mike. Water running off the roof would not be much concern unless you were in a hurricane.

See here...
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Wow! That's a real thing! I don't believe I ever noticed or saw that on one of our rigs before. I am not sure I want the wire hanging down. Trusty old blue sea has a marine grade contraption:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/1001/CableClam_0.68in

This might be the ticket.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

It sure might! :-bd
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac