Got me a Cherokee!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

SJTD

Re: Got me a Cherokee!

Post by SJTD »

Looks good in theory but that thing is HEAVY. I wouldn't want to be under it if one of the struts failed.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
Icetruck

Post by Icetruck »

It is heavy indeed. The first 10 inches of upwards travel require a hefty pull. Aside from the safety considerations if a strut fails, I'm thinking of retrofitting so the rig gets back to how nature intended.
Now done about 300 miles on local raods, starting to take it further afield. Lovely old thing!

Topic author
Icetruck

Post by Icetruck »

Almost 600 happy miles in the old girl and all is ( almost ) well. The only issue I have at the moment is a faltering wipers switch. In Iceland it rains a lot in the summer, and this summer has been worse than most. I recently drove for over an hour with the wipers on constantly, and after parking for lunch the wipers made a good impression of an intermittent setting, which I know was not installed on my Jeep. I'm going to need a new switch. I saw that BJs has some , but if any of you guys has a second hand one they can sell me please PM me, can have it delivered to a hotel in the US where I stay on layovers. Happy motoring!

Topic author
Icetruck

Post by Icetruck »

Hi guys.
Update from across the pond. After I lost my job in Iceland the rig stayed there for a bit, until it was in danger of getting scrapped. Had it shipped to England and stored again. The restoration has finally started and what a job it is! Shipping costs are so high, plus import tax so I haven’t been able to use any of the repair panels from BJ’s. Instead I’ve found a custom body shop and the guy has made most of the bits that the rust had taken away. The firewall was very rotten too, but that’s sorted. The plan is to have it painted in the colour it wore when new, a sort of lime green which has become popular again. Just don’t ask how much I’m spending on the project! ;)

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

That's awesome! Sorry to hear about your job and stuff.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
Icetruck

Post by Icetruck »

Thanks. Jobs come and go, I was hoping to get back to Iceland which is why the old girl stayed there a while, but then Covid happened. Meanwhile I got another job in the Middle East, and now back in England. I should have more time to spend on the cars.