I hate teenagers...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
deckroid

I hate teenagers...

Post by deckroid »

He was on his phone texting... coming up behind me at 60 mph. I was turning left, he kissed me then flew off into a field taking out a subdivision sign and fenceposts. So far, the steering stabilizer arm is bent, driver seat is off the track (maybe a bracket issue), fender, hood, header panel... I think his insurance is going to total it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And I just bought 6 eraser wheels because I setup a paint job for July.

No one was hurt, and it's only metal but there is an anger growing in me about this whole thing...
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: I hate teenagers...

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Exploitive Exploitive Exploitive Exploitive Exploitive Exploitive Exploitive Exploitive
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That *#%€+*€ sucks!!!!
I feel for ya man and I'd have probably made sure the teenager had at least one injury from me ramming the cell phone up his ass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

That sucks. If you do total it pull the grill and pie pans. I call dibs on them.

Danbert

Post by Danbert »

Oh man. That sucks. Insurance companies should not be allowed to just “total” a vehicle because some metrics tell them it isn’t worth anything.
If it is their clients fault they should be required to put the vehicle back to pre-accident condition.

tedlovesjeeps71

shortbus4x4 wrote:That sucks. If you do total it pull the grill and pie pans. I call dibs on them.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Don't let them total it. You can fight them over it. I have had to do this exact thing before. It was his fault, you make them fix it.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

If he was texting and it was his fault.. Id fight that.

Dont let them total it.. Id threaten to bring them to court if they try to do that... Make them fix it. Im sorry but dont bend over to them
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Getting my Jeep stolen, or wrecked, tops my list of fears; what a terrible situation. Fight them if they tell you it’s a loss.

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

shortbus4x4 wrote:That sucks. If you do total it pull the grill and pie pans. I call dibs on them.
Negative, Ghost-Rider. The pattern is full.

I will fight tooth and nail over this. I just looked at some GWs online and either the prices have gone up since 2016 when I bought Sasquatch, or people have lost their minds. Of course, what people want for a rig and what insurance is willing to pay... ugh. I intend to fight as hard as I can if they tell me they are scraping my Jeep. If I do lose, my agent said I could take the hit, literally, and pay my 500 deductible and they will add that claim to next year's bill. Another option from my agent, take the money, buy back the rig as salvage and use the money to fix it up and then re-register the Jeep as a salvage title, because my insurance is one of a few in the area that does insure salvage titles on older vehicles.

Now, I realize this was in need of a paint job, decals and redone seats. But the motor runs great and it has done everything I have asked of it ... ski trips, camping, hunting, trails, road trips of 800+ miles round trip.... and it has never left me stranded. Oh, it has on occasion given me moments of "what in tarnation is that noise?", but nothing serious. And, even for all that... Sasquatch is MINE. I have always wanted a Wagoneer. Ever since I first rode in one back in 1977 on a fishing trip with my next door neighbor and his dad.

Yeah... what's worse is... I know the parents of the kid. I kind of know the son... I mean, I live in Idaho in a town of 2500. You're gonna know everyone... We had a come to Jesus meeting while waiting for his folks. Then THEY had the same meeting while I was talking to the deputy.

Gaaa... frustration.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Sigh. Life is not fair.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Ouch! Hate it for you. At least you have the salvage title option. Don’t let the bastards take your rig!
'86 GW, work in progress.
'01 wj, DD

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Don't let them salvage it. You will have no resell value. I would fight it tooth and nail. You don't have to sign anything.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

letank

Post by letank »

Aaaack, sorry, at least no human body parts were damaged.
Remember, that there are no rules on the price of our rigs, you are entitled to the fair market value, blue book or nada are not a reference. Go to ebay and check the prices of rigs from your year and may be mileage on the completed sale value. I went for this last year.... the insurance wanted to total as the price of repairs was in the $2400, insurance estimated the price of the 85 at $1300, but ebay sales were in the $7K, I told the appraiser that $4K was a real value because of surface rust, the appraiser settled at over $5K.
The wood paneling is about $900 and you need a complete kit because the panels are not sold individually.
It seems like a $5K repair...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Maybe call his agent and ask how they want to handle paying for your doctor visits since you woke up the next morning with a sore neck???
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

These jeeps are really going up in value but you're probably going to have to fight with them about it. What year is the jeep? An 84? Well NADA Values it at $12,650 low retail, $21,700 average retail, and $36,100 high retail.
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

That’s a rightful shame. As an (ex) teen with an FSJ, that just ain’t right.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Teenagers-raised by neglegent parents. I had a truck full of kids leaving tech school rear end me. We pulled over and the kid was begging me not to call the cops and that he and his dad would take care of damages. After looking at the damages to the rear bumped, I told him that I would fix it myself for $400. He and his dad came out to look at it and the kid said that he would buy new Brackets from Ford and install them for me and it would be less than $400. I told the dad that I wanted it fixed and I shouldnt have to wait weeks for it to happen. The dad assured me that he would make sure that his son did the Right thing. So, one week turned into 3 weeks while the kid was trying to purchase the bumper brackets [supposidly]. Then he called and offered me $50 for me to buy the brackets and install them. I told him no and that he promised to get this fixed. One morning I get a note on my shop door stating that he had come by to give me $50 and I wasnt there. I never saw or heard from him again and I had to make the repairs myself. Calling the police, they said that by not calling them when the accident happened that it is now a Legal Issue and would have to be solved in the courts.
Grrrr! Never again. The next time its by the book--call the police-jack up the kids insurance rates.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Salvaged titles on a vehicle cant legally be driven on the roads last i read.. But maybe i read that wrong ? So dont get a salvaged title all you can do with a salvage title is strip it for parts and thats it.

Also wagoneer prices depend on condition.. Yours looks really rough on the outside.. ( no offense really lol ) .. In my area yours would probly go for 2k tops.. One in much better shape can go for 8-10k easy here.

So prices just depend on condition
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

tedlovesjeeps71

candymancan wrote:Salvaged titles on a vehicle cant legally be driven on the roads last i read.. But maybe i read that wrong ? So dont get a salvaged title all you can do with a salvage title is strip it for parts and thats it.
The purpose of a salvage title is so you Can register it for use. Never heard of not being able to drive a vehicle with one. It allows you to register and tag it and sell it if desired. Normally the state has to inspect it to verify the repairs were performed. They will also, usually, stamp the vehicle on the B pillar in the door opening to show it was salvaged. But provided it passes inspection it is fully legal to operate.
That said, I'd still fight it tooth and nail. A salvage title will greatly reduce the value.
Of course, another option would be to get as much for it as possible. Use the money to find a nicer, less rusty body, and swap your good stuff onto it?

will e

Post by will e »

Salvage title may make it hard to get certain types of insurance as well.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge