I hate teenagers...

Area for General FSJ related chat.

will e

Re: I hate teenagers...

Post by will e »

Salvage title may make it hard to get certain types of insurance as well.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

candymancan wrote:Salvaged titles on a vehicle cant legally be driven on the roads last i read.. But maybe i read that wrong ? So dont get a salvaged title all you can do with a salvage title is strip it for parts and thats it.

Also wagoneer prices depend on condition.. Yours looks really rough on the outside.. ( no offense really lol ) .. In my area yours would probly go for 2k tops.. One in much better shape can go for 8-10k easy here.

So prices just depend on condition
Rough on the outside?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

letank

Post by letank »

my econobox 85 honda civc hatchback has a salvaged title, no issues for registration, transfer of ownership (bought it from a friend), driving or insurance in Cal.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Ouch! Doesn't look too bad though. Time to break that thing out of the wood crate now. ;)

There are lots of driving texters out there that are not teenagers. I taught my daughter to drive in my GW when she was 15. She is 32 now, is an avid smart phone user but I have never seen her drive and text.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Nikkormat wrote:
candymancan wrote:Salvaged titles on a vehicle cant legally be driven on the roads last i read.. But maybe i read that wrong ? So dont get a salvaged title all you can do with a salvage title is strip it for parts and thats it.

Also wagoneer prices depend on condition.. Yours looks really rough on the outside.. ( no offense really lol ) .. In my area yours would probly go for 2k tops.. One in much better shape can go for 8-10k easy here.

Rough on the outside?
bad paint. missing bumper.. missing wood trim peices.. wood trim is really deteriorated shall i continue ? That lowers value alot.. Not being a dick here just telling the truth when it comes to car prices.. You cant argue with me on that lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

When my old Cherokee got hit, the insurance company finally just offered to give me the money they thought it would cost to fix, and called it done. No salvage title or anything. So you may be able to do the same thing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

You don't want a salvage title. Trust me, dmv gave me one for my XJ and a year later i still cant get it registered in the communist empire of NY. Sorry to hear about that accident. At least you are ok. Sheetmetal can be replaced. People cant. If you need a hood, front fascia and marker light for it i have em. If you cant find any we can work something out.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

mhubbard

Post by mhubbard »

I had a similar situation happen in December (there is a thread somewhere on here about that). What I did was pull the NADA value for a GW of my year (1989) - which shows very healthy values for these cars - and then collected all of the receipts I had amassed over the year or so I had owned it. The insurance guys don't really have a very good way of assigning value to older vehicles since their normal day-to-day trade deals with 4 year old Hondas and whatnot. The paperwork will make your case. In NC, if the value to fix doesn't exceed 70% of the assigned value, then they cannot legally total it. I don't know about Idaho, but if you have a similar insurance situation, you may be able to come out on top.

mhubbard

Post by mhubbard »

..... oh, and another thing... if you do come out on top, this is an excellent opportunity to get the truck repainted. And another thing... as many of you know, the replacement wood is no longer sold in individual panels. Your body guy should be able to make the case to the insurance company goon that in order to make the car whole, they (the insurance co) will have to foot the bill for a NEW KIT! And not to shamelessly plug for Team Grand Wagoneer, but they are running a deal now where you get new emblems with any wood kit order :)

Happy Motoring!
Mike

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

*** UPDATE ***

So, the damage was a bit more than I was originally told. The steering stabilizer was bent like the St. Louis arch, the driver side front leaf spring bracket was nearly torn off the frame, and the front panel, which I thought could be bent back into shape can't.

Well, everything is coming back together nicely... BUT... the shop my Jeep is at is having a hell of a time locating a replacement face panel. Anyone know of a wrecker yard with one or have an extra they are willing to part with?

Thanks!
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

so sorry for the loss of your wag :(
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

letank

Post by letank »

JW wreckers in sacramento, http://jwjeep.com/
Check your local CL you may find goodies or post in the want add here or on the mothership
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Google the Jeep Ranch up in Montana. Not cheap but good parts and good folks.

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

Found one in Portland, Oregon for Uncheap, but no rust, as far as 3 pictures show anyway. I put both JWJEEP and JEEP RANCH in my Jeep Parts doc, thanks for the info... It's always nice to have more folks to call. I have found that Jeep Wrecking Yards are not equal. Some have Willy's only or Wranglers up to TJ. It's been fun calling places I would not normally call like in Arizona or Georgia.

My buddy owns the body shop I am using and I was giving his son, who is taking the lead on the Jeep, a ration of crap for me having to source parts... I did get beer out of the deal though, so that's always a win.

I will keep you all posted.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Did you try FN jeep in Colorado springs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

Hey I've got a few I forgot about, I'll be making a road trip from Evergreen, CO to Missoula later this month if you want to meet somewhere along my route. It'd be cheap!

Shoot me a PM if interested.

Topic author
deckroid

Post by deckroid »

So, around my neck of the woods, Idaho, there are alot of salvage titles on the road. Folks go and find cars in pastures and rat rod them or have a barn find. My insurance company said that a lot of classic vehicles they insure are on salvage titles and the only thing that is a worry is when you go to sell it.

As for the rough state of my Jeep, no offense taken! :D :D :D It is rough looking. I was starting to remove things as I have a paint job scheduled in late July. In fact, the other guy's insurance adjuster called me and said it's booked at $5500 as is, but if I got a paint job on it, it would be worth $18k. Then he said if our insurance company won't work with me, his would... lol... trying to snipe me.

The bumper is half way done, I have plans to install a winch, two shackles and then powder coat the whole thing. The rear bumper will be similar, but with a tire holder and possibly a jerry can as well. I don't weld, but a friend of mine does, but he is so dang busy this time of year, I am going to have to wait for the finished product. Everything original I pull off this Jeep goes either on the shelves or on the wall of my garage. The grille was first; I wired up some lights in it and hung it up above my work bench. I still need to figure out how to get the bumper up there and have it secured so it doesnt drop on my bench!

Ted, FN Jeeps was next after Portland. I was working my way out from my location.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Idunno. We have a '02 Jetta with a salvage title. Have had it for maybe ten years. No problem registering or insuring it when I bought it nor since.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I really hope you can get your Wag fixed and back on the road. I would hate if mine was hit :(
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"