Source for replacement windshield?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Red-dog

Source for replacement windshield?

Post by Red-dog »

I have a friend who works in a body shop. He called me asking about a source for FSJ windshields. Apparently, they are in the final stages of a GW restoration and can’t find glass. They have called two “nationwide windshield companies” (his words, not mine) and they have both failed twice to deliver the correct windshield. One company gave up and the other says they have a windshield that has the right profile but it is too long so the are going to cut it down!?! He has zero expectations of this plan working. I wouldn’t say that he is in panic mode but he was agitated enough to call me at 10:00 pm. Is this a real problem or is someone here suffering from cranial/rectal fusion? I told him I would ask the forum and let him know. Surely they can’t be that hard to find, right?
'86 GW, work in progress.
'01 wj, DD

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: Source for replacement windshield?

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

Safelite had no issues finding us one...*shrugs*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

x2 on safelite. BUT READ THIS. There is an issue with windshield/gasket compatibility. If your buddy at the body shop is trying to stuff a new windshield into an old gasket, or old windshield (junkyard) into a new gasket, he's gonna have a bad time. Just have safelite do both.

It was right around $200 to have new windshield and new gasket installed in my driveway. No hassle, no run-around. "here's your windshield". "Thanks, here's your moneys".
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Danbert

Post by Danbert »

I think safelite was the one that replaced mine as well.

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

Safelite is a great fix, but if you want the "Coke Bottle" glass ... a lot of restoration folks around my area use some big name in San Francisco for all their collector cars and he is SPEN-DEEEE. I can get his name if you want...
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

REDONE wrote:x2 on safelite. BUT READ THIS. There is an issue with windshield/gasket compatibility. If your buddy at the body shop is trying to stuff a new windshield into an old gasket, or old windshield (junkyard) into a new gasket, he's gonna have a bad time. Just have safelite do both.

It was right around $200 to have new windshield and new gasket installed in my driveway. No hassle, no run-around. "here's your windshield". "Thanks, here's your moneys".

Hmmmmm. One would think a body shop or the windshield installers would know this kind of stuff but I did not ask and he didn’t offer. Safelite was the first company they called. This could be their problem.

deckroid wrote:Safelite is a great fix, but if you want the "Coke Bottle" glass ... a lot of restoration folks around my area use some big name in San Francisco for all their collector cars and he is SPEN-DEEEE. I can get his name if you want...

Thanks, I will ask him if he wants the info but since we are on the opposite coast I bet shipping would be ridiculous on top of expensive glass. No idea what his budget is for this project.
'01 wj, DD

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I talked with Jon, a buddy of mine who is in a vintage car club, and he uses www.vintageglass.com for a lot of his restorations. They make the windshield for you. They don't have a lot of In Stock items, but they make them. Flush mount, curved, green with a blue stripe, etc etc. They made a full set of glass for his '64 Willy's Wagon.

Mark, who used a guy in SF and was almost 600 bucks for a windshield, is out of town for the week. I can get hold of him next Tuesday, aka Poker Night.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

whats a coke bottle windshield ??
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Correct me if i am wrong but doesnt BJs still offer them? IIRC they had them for like $300. Safelite can get them as well. Theyre going to be coming to replace mine pretty soon.
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
Red-dog

Post by Red-dog »

Looks like they got it sorted out. Had to source one from Atlanta. I will try to find out the name of the place and post it in case someone in the area needs it but it sounds like a local problem to me. Round here we don’t let something like critical thinking get in the way of a good time.
'01 wj, DD

TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

Also would like to know what a coke bottle windshield is.

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Green tinted glass?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Glass is green due to iron oxide impurities. So why would (coke bottle glass) be more expensive... usually its the other way around.. clearer glass is more expensive.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

candymancan wrote:Glass is green due to iron oxide impurities. So why would (coke bottle glass) be more expensive... usually its the other way around.. clearer glass is more expensive.
Because very few places make coke bottle glass anymore. Laws of supply and demand. And when you have low supply AND low demand, costs go up a lot.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I see didnt know the supply was low lol.