Question about fog lights

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
HowardT64

Question about fog lights

Post by HowardT64 »

Is there a relay that is near the washer fluid tank for the fog lights? I had two near this spot. One is gone. Im thinking its the one that ran my fog lights.

2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

candymancan

Re: Question about fog lights

Post by candymancan »

Only one relay thats under the washer pinned to the fender.

When i git my 90 the relay was corroded... greasy.. and blown... And the red power wire to the panel in the firewall was bubbly all the way to the firewall.

I replaced the wire and relay.. but this year i cut the relay holder off as the wiring was just so oily and coroded and the wires were half broken off.. it was just dangerous.

So i soldered a whole new relay holder in the wiring.. i feel alot safer after doing that.. Im thinking of adding an inline fuse though on that power wire i replaced. The bubbling wire was like 2 feet long.. and all of it was bubbled and melted off... It was bad and im suprised it didnt start a fire. It must not be fused in the fuse panel it goes too under the dash... If it was it would have blown the minute the wire grounded..

Just necause the relay blows doesnt mean the wiring going to the relay isnt still live which is clearly what happened to mine.. Worse thing is the power wire is in the wire harness and it being melted fused and melted other wires.. could have been a major fire

No idea why the fog light power wires arent fused

So im thinking a inline fuse would be nice to add.

But im unsure where this power wire is coming from behind the fuse box.. Itd be better to put that inline fuse at the source instead of before the relay in the engine bay
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Also not sure what the 2nd relay for you is ? I only had one there.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Ill double check and get some pics on my tapatalk...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"