Could use help fixing a crispy GW

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Sjordannc

Could use help fixing a crispy GW

Post by Sjordannc »

My son's 1990 GW caught fire a couple weeks ago and we're working on getting it back on the road. After replacing the front wiring harness and some hoses, it's running again but there are some mystery connections on the back of the intake that need to be dealt with.

I'm hoping someone can help us identify what used to be back there before it became a puddle on the pavement.
I'm adding two labeled pictures showing what we've got. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
crispy0.jpg
crispy1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tgreese

Re: Could use help fixing a crispy GW

Post by tgreese »

Have you looked at the factory manual? This is the 1990 vacuum diagram.

The manual will have a section for each of the vacuum circuits shown, and you can compare the top of the engine and the burnt parts to what is pictured there.

Available on CD-ROM for about $20. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 83&jsn=443
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Sjordannc

Post by Sjordannc »

Thanks tgreese! We had to pull all of the smog stuff for now. There wasn't enough left to work with. The air pump is connected straight to the cat pipe right now. Even the canister is gone. We'll cap off all vacuum connectors until I can gather the parts and fix it right.

Until then, I mostly wanted to make sure there weren't any parts missing that would cause trouble before he drives off with it.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

OUCH!!! that must have hurt....
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

My 90 is all bypassed on those vacuum lines..

They are all for the EGR and for the stock airhat to open and close the vents inside the air hat. The only real important ones are the lines going to the carb. And deff the PCV.. the rest of them go to to the cto which break off into the vacuum balls for the cruise control and also to the air pump junk. Some go to the canister though

If you dont have emissions where you live you dont need any of that. route the hoses differently

Here is how my 90 is routed now. Basically number 1 is the PCV needs a T fitting.. one large end one small end for the T 1 and 4 connect together. The T fitting goes to canister purge line into another T fitting as you see on the diagram.

Now number 2 has two fitting.. cap the top and route the bottom fitting to the T fitting on the CTO that goes to the vacuum ball on the firewall. Which is number 5.. but your cto is melted so cap both ends of number 2 for now

Number 6 is to the EGR just cap that and the other EGR nipple off. There are t2o for the 90s egr.. One goes to the EGR tvs which is on the stock air hat.. Plug both ends

number 3 goes to the carb in the front on the bottom middle.. I need to get an elbow for mine lools like the line is pinched

Number 5 is going to be the problem for you.. its a CTO and you deff gonna need a new one. I know an 88 in the junkyard not too far away.. I dont think ill habe time tomorrow.. But friday i can go to the yard i can grab all the lines. t fittings. the vacuum ball and cto if you want.. As long as you can compensate me for whatever the yard charges me.. which i dont think will be much.. usually they just give me the small plastic bits.

Also looks like the actuator for the cruise control is gone.. The metal wire next to the throttle cabke.. I would just disconnect the ball chain and take the white actuator off completetly cut the wiring and tuck em outa the way.. But thats just me.. Specially if your cruise never worked anyway.

You do not want that melted cable to to do something and affect the throttle

Another thing is.. Since all your lines and cto and all that junk is melted.. Your stock air hat wont work properly the vents wont open and close ect.. Youll need to put a regular air hat on from autozone like the edlebrock ones.. Thats what i got on mine. I removed my air pump.. blocked the fresh air lines going to the manifolds.. removed all that crap for that air pump.. removed the metal line going to the cat.. Blocked my egr and hanged the vacuum routing.. Probly lost like a moving box full of lines and parts.. I dont have emissions though

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Sjordannc

Post by Sjordannc »

Perfect Candymancan!! Thanks for the detailed explanation and pics!

I'll work on re-plumbing what I can today.

Good point on the cruise cable. I'll get rid of that. I think we'll go ahead and remove the air pump and snip the line back to the cat like you did. A while back I noticed that the fresh air lines to the manifolds were cracked, so I had already ordered the block-off bolt kit. Sure is a lot easier to get your hands where you need them with all of that out of the way!

I had a wiring harness from another '90 shipped from a state away. It was in good shape, but we did a lot or re-soldering and heat shrink to make sure it was sound. Now I need to work on keeping it off the exhaust. Hopefully this will be the last time it goes up in flames.

If you happen to go to that junk yard, I'll gladly reimburse you for your any parts and for your time. A choke for the 2150 carb would really help too.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I noticed yours looked weird.. I was gonna mentiin it.

sadly i sold my 2150 a month ago and the carb on this one was missing

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Sjordannc wrote:Perfect Candymancan!! Thanks for the detailed explanation and pics!

I'll work on re-plumbing what I can today.

Good point on the cruise cable. I'll get rid of that. I think we'll go ahead and remove the air pump and snip the line back to the cat like you did. A while back I noticed that the fresh air lines to the manifolds were cracked, so I had already ordered the block-off bolt kit. Sure is a lot easier to get your hands where you need them with all of that out of the way!

I had a wiring harness from another '90 shipped from a state away. It was in good shape, but we did a lot or re-soldering and heat shrink to make sure it was sound. Now I need to work on keeping it off the exhaust. Hopefully this will be the last time it goes up in flames.

If you happen to go to that junk yard, I'll gladly reimburse you for your any parts and for your time. A choke for the 2150 carb would really help too.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

I couldnt get the air tubes off.. too rusted into the manifold.. Plus only one manifold had air tubes lol.. a previous owner welded the tubing closed on the manifold end.

What i did with the other tubing was block it off at the main pipe with a brass pipe plug from home depot and some silicone.

I got the larger edlebrock air cleaner and the edlebrock oil filler air filter thingy.

One note though is its not quite girthy enough to fit inside our oil tubes so i added some Duct tape.. like 6-7 wraps around the end.. then put the rubber gasket back on to make it girthier.. if that doesnt make sense ill take a pic to show you.

Here is what my engine bay looks like now.. Pic doesnt do justice in person when you look around youll see how much room freeing all that air pump and inje tion tubing junk freed up.

Also btw i believe teamgrandwagoneer actually sells the cto you need that melted in the back.. number 5.. Its called a 5 port duel cto coolant override i believe. Ill check.. if not them im not sure who.. but ill try to grab the one in the junkyard here in the next day or two.

Autozone part number E960 might work ?

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

I feel your pain. Mine caught fire last year and I’m just now getting it running again. Good luck.
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition