I Know Nothing. Please Enlighten Me!

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
TheRebel

I Know Nothing. Please Enlighten Me!

Post by TheRebel »

Hey Guys! With my first FSJ build comes a lot of questions, and nowhere near enough answers on my end.

My FSJ is without a transmission, but my t-case is stamped T-35. I want to have it as a column shift. Was the T-18 used as a column shift or as a floor shift? Can a floor shift be converted to a column shift fairly easily? I am also in need of the components to restore my Ramsey PTO winch. Is the PTO off of the tcase, or is that a whole another thing I need to look for?

I’m willing to admit I just don’t know much, so any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44bz

Re: I Know Nothing. Please Enlighten Me!

Post by 44bz »

Your transfer case should be a Dana 20, which is what you have in the third photo. The second photo shows T85 which was the 3 speed trans that came behind the 327s. T18 was a floor shift and I dunno if or how you can make it a column shift.

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

44bz

Post by 44bz »

Your transfer case should be a Dana 20, which is what you have in the third photo. The second photo shows T85 which was the 3 speed trans that came behind the 327s. T18 was a floor shift and I dunno if or how you can make it a column shift.

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

bigun

Post by bigun »

Why column shift it is much easier to play with your significant others knees with a floor shift.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

The last photo shows a T-10. Was very common in 60's Fords.

You cannot make a top shift into a column shift. But out of curiosity, why on EARTH would you want to convert a floor shift to a column shift?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

If you want column shift, the factory 3-speeds (T-85 or T-89) were provided by Jeep with the 327. These are oddballs for a Jeep. They are sturdy, and were common in big Fords and other passenger cars of the era. Non-synchromesh first. W G is Warner Gear division of Borg-Warner. These transmissions from Jeeps are not plentiful, but they are also not much in demand. The T-85 you have is not a transfer case, but a transmission.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2 ... 82444.html

What do you want from this Jeep? Original condition? Easy shifting? Modern components?

With a 3-speed transmission (or automatic), the power take off (PTO) bolts to the bottom of the Dana 20 transfer case. There is no PTO port on a 3-speed. The D20 PTO can sometimes be found used. The PTO shifter can be cable operated or come through the floor. Then you'll need to assemble a drive shaft between the PTO and the winch. U-joints, shafts and bearing blocks can be purchased from farm equipment stores.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Willys ... SwwIta35dv
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ramsey-PTO-For ... SwLApahOZ3
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

tgreese wrote:If you want column shift, the factory 3-speeds (T-85 or T-89) were provided by Jeep with the 327. These are oddballs for a Jeep. They are sturdy, and were common in big Fords and other passenger cars of the era. Non-synchromesh first. W G is Warner Gear division of Borg-Warner. These transmissions from Jeeps are not plentiful, but they are also not much in demand. The T-85 you have is not a transfer case, but a transmission.

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/hmn/2 ... 82444.html

What do you want from this Jeep? Original condition? Easy shifting? Modern components?

With a 3-speed transmission (or automatic), the power take off (PTO) bolts to the bottom of the Dana 20 transfer case. There is no PTO port on a 3-speed. The D20 PTO can sometimes be found used. The PTO shifter can be cable operated or come through the floor. Then you'll need to assemble a drive shaft between the PTO and the winch. U-joints, shafts and bearing blocks can be purchased from farm equipment stores.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Willys ... SwwIta35dv
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ramsey-PTO-For ... SwLApahOZ3
I’d like to have it in original condition. I’ve never driven a column shift and am looking forward to it. I’m sorta a stickler for og stuff, but once something majorly fails, I plan to do an entire overhaul with new suspension, beefier axles, new engine, new tranny etc.

Thanks for all the info. Helps a lot.

Topic author
TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

Stuka wrote:The last photo shows a T-10. Was very common in 60's Fords.

You cannot make a top shift into a column shift. But out of curiosity, why on EARTH would you want to convert a floor shift to a column shift?
Not that I would want to, just trying to understand column shifts better.

Topic author
TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

44bz wrote:Your transfer case should be a Dana 20, which is what you have in the third photo. The second photo shows T85 which was the 3 speed trans that came behind the 327s. T18 was a floor shift and I dunno if or how you can make it a column shift.

Thanks!

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

The T18 is a "top load" transmission. The shifter assembly is built into the top of the tranny. It does not use external shifter linkage.

The T85 Typically has "side load" shifter. This is not the Jeep T85 but shows shift levers on the side. There is a top plate where a top load shifter would mount. Side load uses linkage from an external shifter (column or floor). I see your T85 does not have the top plate. Pretty sure the Jeep T85s were all like this.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I've driven cars with the column shift manual, and find it just fine for daily use. I think their main problem is the linkage is exposed and has a lot of joints which wear out. If you have all the parts, you'll probably have to make some new parts (bushings and maybe other moving parts) to bring it back to new condition. The floor shift is a much faster shifter than the column shift, and a column shift has long throws. It does make 3-across seating on a bench seat much easier. Good on dates, IME.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I had a 63 Classic and 65 Ambassador, both with 3 on the tree. The linkage was troublesome to say the least. There is a bushing between the 1st-Reverse and 2nd-3rd linkage on the column. That would wear down and allow you to hit 2nd gear while still in 1st. If you fast shift (kind of an oxymoron for a column shift), the problem would be more apparent. I busted the main gear cluster and the 2nd-3rd slider twice this way.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

will e

Post by will e »

TheRebel wrote:
Stuka wrote:The last photo shows a T-10. Was very common in 60's Fords.

Not that I would want to, just trying to understand column shifts better.

Overall I think you will find a floor shifter to be easier to set up, use and will have less problems in the long run.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge