Gumby's Ride

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Gumby

Re: Gumby's Ride

Post by Gumby »

No Jerry without you I know there is no way I can make it cross the county line :D .
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

It is awesome to see you get the Jeep legal for the road Martin! :-bd I see more updates coming to the windshield views thread. B-)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Thanks Flint, now I just have to get some bugs out and properly tune it and I am going to make it the fun wagon. I think the carb is just my issue at this time. There will be something in my windshield soon.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Today I took it out for a spin headed down to Rstep to have him take a look at my issues. Well we came away still stumped but having the inclination that it is that my carb is crap :o . So I need to get it replaced before the SW Turkey Run, so wish me luck getting this done. But overall I am not unhappy with it. I am in the process of ulling the original motor apart and boy is that thing JUNK! The chain was very loose and it had definitely jumped timing.The thermostat was completely caked up with crap and under the splash shield had so much carbon in it I just took it off and tried to save it. Pictures to come at a later time.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Well today the "Junk" has completed it's first official run. No real issues other than it is leaking and I guess that this is "Normal" . I poured some Lucas Oil stuff in the crank case in order to hopefully cure this but we shall see how effective this product is. It drives like a champ and drinks like a Marine on a payday weekend in a port call. Not sure about the mileage but it ran through an entire tank of gas, I may need to address this with the"right foot method".

To all that lent a hand in me being able to get to this point I must say... You all Rock Thank you. Nothing like rolling at speed and feeling the transmission down shift chasing another FSJ :evil: , not my cummins but it was a wonderful feeling.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

I was glad that you had some help down there to get it running and was glad to see that got to bring it to the
" Turkey it the Desert " get together this week-end.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Jerry... you are one of the individuals that I can personally say helped me to get my jeep where it is today. Thank You.

Gumby

Re: Gumby's Ride UPDATE:

Post by Gumby »

Well the jeep has made the Thanksgiving run and has been pretty much a daily driver. There is nothing cooler that driving around and heading in the opposite direction is another FSJ, well people hanging their heads out the window doing 75 MPH passing you is kinda cool too.

I took it for a drive to Benson today to test it at freeway speed. It did surprising well, I know it will now easily do 70 (more if I can afford to stop for gas). It was good except for the oil pressure gauge did no go above 20-30 when warm, 40 when cold. I do have a pump kit that I will be repairing/ rebuilding the current pump with after the X-mas "Holly days".

I must say that I am impressed with these rigs and the swagger they still have after all these years off the market. But still a few items that I need to address to make it look and perform a little better. Which hopefully if the wife ever feels the urge to drive the darn thing she will be confident she will make it back home.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

It is a good feeling to be out on the open road with a FSJ that drives true. Sounds like good times Martin. :-bd
Flint Boardman

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

BWAAHAAHAAA! I had to reread your whole thread to make sure there wasn't a second Marvin running around here that actually DOES have an FSJ! :P

Merry Christmas to you and your family, as well as that swell yellow dog of yours! :)
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Thanks Matt, but I think you too have fat fingers :D it is MARTIN. My neighbor has called me Marvin for almost a freaking year now too. Oh well Happy new year to you and yours too man.
Update:
1. I have finally completed the de-wooding of the GW, so now I guess it is just a Waggy :P . I will post some pictures after the weekend.
2. Put some new window wifes on it (hated the amount of water that went inside the doors when it rained).
3. installed a new fuel sending unit
4. Installed new fuel pump (found out that the timing cover housing is hosed, the pump does not sit securely because the bolts do not screw all the way in. I think the holes are stripped out a bit). Any sugestions as to a remedy?

Next I have to tackle the oil pump, I guess that this will take about an hour or less, unless those bolt holes are also screwed. I guess that I will be rebuilding one of the two in my garage before I know it.

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Wait a minute. #2. Window wifes, I don't think she will set out there keeping the water out for you :D

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

jsinajeep wrote:Wait a minute. #2. Window wifes, I don't think she will set out there keeping the water out for you :D
Not to mention the constant naggin and tellin you how to drive.... :P
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Gittin it done huh? :-bd The bolt holes can be remedied with helicoils.

Marvin is a Martian. Martin ain't. ;) Not just a Wagoneer. :P
Flint Boardman

Topic author
rstep

Post by rstep »

Marvin how's those window wifes working for you :funnypost:
1977 Cherokee Sold
I Don't own One
Stuff I Make.
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5620

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

:funnypost: about a :funnypost: making fun of a :funnypost: :-bd

Keep up the great work Mar...uh...Gumby!
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

At this point I have a remedy that I will be trying. Once done I will put the Carter pump on until I decide to go electrical. All woodgrain is now missing and it is looking good. I just have to complete the doors and I am completely done on that project. It has turned out much better than I would have thought. I am liking the plain white waggy. Almost like a new waggy, even close up. It is not as much work but to get what I want it is taking a little more, call me a perfetionist (like my wife). I think that if you are going to do something there is no need to 1/2 @$$ it!

I just need to figure out why my back up and turn signals do not work with the new steering wheel? It is an '86 or 87 column in an '84. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? Hazzards actually do work, I feel it is the cruise and turn signal is on the same harness that is not the same as the 84.

Marvin is one of my favourite characters and I will wear my Marvin sweat shirt in Ouray this year (if it is cool enough).

edit: my window wives are doing pretty well at this time. I have to treat them like my house wife. Let them do what they want and you will be a happy man. They too are not always the cheapest option :D , at some point they will cost you :cry: more than you wanted to spend.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

The long connector that the steering wiring harness plugs into has some pin-outs that are different between the 80-85 and 86-91. The dimmer switch is built into the turn signal lever and your 84 has the floor switch. The switch on the newer column is actually down near the floor and there is a goofy array of linkage from the turn lever to the switch. You may be able to move some of the connections to match your needs. That is where I would start.

If you haven't seen this site yet, here are some diagrams:
http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html
Flint Boardman

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

fulsizjeep wrote:The long connector that the steering wiring harness plugs into has some pin-outs that are different between the 80-85 and 86-91. The dimmer switch is built into the turn signal lever and your 84 has the floor switch. The switch on the newer column is actually down near the floor and there is a goofy array of linkage from the turn lever to the switch. You may be able to move some of the connections to match your needs. That is where I would start.

If you haven't seen this site yet, here are some diagrams:
http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html

Flint, I have seen this diagrams and it islike doing languages all over again. I am just going to leave well alone and hope that I get a hold of a good column that I wont have to damage like what got me in this position in the first place. Never give a noob tools a manual and an idea that they can repair or modify something :D .

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

OK Now I just went out and copleted my mission of changing what it was to where it is now.....

Before

After some work with a razor blade ( a couple dozens)

RStep saw this during the process and was impressed with my technique. Nothing special just some aircraft stripper, goobgone, razor blades and a whole bunch of elbow grease. I did spray it with rattle can primer to cover up the areas that I had to take down to bare metal.