I’m One of The Cool Kids Now

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
TheRebel

I’m One of The Cool Kids Now

Post by TheRebel »

Just sealed the deal on my first FSJ. 1966 J3000 AMC 327.

I bring her home tonight and will update with more pics then.

Thanks to everyone who has been helping me with price recommendations. I dodged a bullet thanks to you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigun

Re: I’m One of The Cool Kids Now

Post by bigun »

Welcome to the addiction you will find like the old Lay's potato chip commercial used to say "You can't have just one"! Now you need a couple of parts vehicles

bigun

Post by bigun »

Welcome to the addiction you will find like the old Lay's potato chip commercial used to say "You can't have just one"! Now you need a couple of parts vehicles

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Looks like it needs air in the tires.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Nice ride- welcome aboard!

Topic author
TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

Thanks guys! Look forward to my time here!

Topic author
TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

ShagWagon wrote:Looks like it needs air in the tires.

Just a lil Image

bigun

Post by bigun »

ShagWagon wrote:Looks like it needs air in the tires.
It's only flat on one side :P

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Welcome. That is an interesting camper shell. The good thing about it being there is that you probably do not have heavy rust in the bed seems and such, which is typical of the J-truck townside beds.
Extra gas tank on passenger side, in the bed?

Looks like a great foundation to start from!
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome aboard cool kid! You show up to a FSJ get together with a running 1966 J3000 AMC 327 and you will be "THE" cool kid!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Welcome, my first FSJ was a '67 J2000 when I ws 16 [1980]. Wow! Now I have 4 that Im driving and restoring.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Welcome, my first FSJ was a '67 J2000 when I ws 16 [1980]. Wow! Now I have 4 that Im driving and restoring.

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

I spoke to the gentleman that had that on CL. It’s a very solid truck. Had it been a short bed it would be here in Orlando Fla right now. Good price as well.

You really are judged by the dogs you have!

swampedge

Post by swampedge »

swampedge wrote:I spoke to the gentleman that had that on CL. It’s a very solid truck. Had it been a short bed it would be here in Orlando Fla right now. Good price as well. Also if it has all of the pro shafts and the three small u-joints post a pic of them. The factory Ramsey PTO joints are non existent and are require to clear the bottom of the frame where it hooks to the winch. A lot of folks have never seen them. Jim

You really are judged by the dogs you have!

Topic author
TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

swampedge wrote:
swampedge wrote:I spoke to the gentleman that had that on CL. It’s a very solid truck. Had it been a short bed it would be here in Orlando Fla right now. Good price as well. Also if it has all of the pro shafts and the three small u-joints post a pic of them. The factory Ramsey PTO joints are non existent and are require to clear the bottom of the frame where it hooks to the winch. A lot of folks have never seen them. Jim

I based my purchase price off of the winch. As you might know, the whole tranny is out, but all the linkages are there for the winch! Score!

Topic author
TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

I own a 1954 Jeep Willys Truck in addition to this, and I was able to buy the owners manual, the repair manual, and a master parts list. Are these available for FSJs?

Topic author
TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

This is also my first engine that has been sitting for a period of time. I plan to drain oil, new fuel filter, drain gas tank, clean carb. I believe I’ve heard something about dumping some atf down on top of the pistons? If so how much? I’m only 20, but I’d love to keep this wrenching addiction till I’m in the dirt. Thanks all for any and all advice!

will e

Post by will e »

TheRebel wrote:This is also my first engine that has been sitting for a period of time. I plan to drain oil, new fuel filter, drain gas tank, clean carb. I believe I’ve heard something about dumping some atf down on top of the pistons? If so how much? I’m only 20, but I’d love to keep this wrenching addiction till I’m in the dirt. Thanks all for any and all advice!

It doesn't take much. Half a teaspoon should do the trick. Use a syringe.

You might also look at getting an oil pump primer. You said you were 20 and so I assume your experience level is still progressing and apologize if I am being too detailed. An oil pump primer is usually used on a new engine build to get the oil pump primed. This helps during the first engine startup to make sure the oil system works. Most oil pumps are driven off of the distributor in some fashion. I am not familiar with the 327 so someone will correct me if I am wrong. The way the primer usually works is you remove the distributor and insert the priming tool. A drill is attached to the priming tool. For the AMC 327 you want it spinning clockwise. You will want to use a 1/2" drill, it takes a lot of torque. Ideally you do this with the help of someone who hand spins the engine using a breaker bar on the crank. Leave the spark plus out to make cranking it easier. This will help get fresh oil into all of the bearings, lifters, etc.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

will e wrote:
TheRebel wrote:This is also my first engine that has been sitting for a period of time. I plan to drain oil, new fuel filter, drain gas tank, clean carb. I believe I’ve heard something about dumping some atf down on top of the pistons? If so how much? I’m only 20, but I’d love to keep this wrenching addiction till I’m in the dirt. Thanks all for any and all advice!

It doesn't take much. Half a teaspoon should do the trick. Use a syringe.

You might also look at getting an oil pump primer. You said you were 20 and so I assume your experience level is still progressing and apologize if I am being too detailed. An oil pump primer is usually used on a new engine build to get the oil pump primed. This helps during the first engine startup to make sure the oil system works. Most oil pumps are driven off of the distributor in some fashion. I am not familiar with the 327 so someone will correct me if I am wrong. The way the primer usually works is you remove the distributor and insert the priming tool. A drill is attached to the priming tool. For the AMC 327 you want it spinning clockwise. You will want to use a 1/2" drill, it takes a lot of torque. Ideally you do this with the help of someone who hand spins the engine using a breaker bar on the crank. Leave the spark plus out to make cranking it easier. This will help get fresh oil into all of the bearings, lifters, etc.

I’ll look into it, thank you!

Topic author
TheRebel

Post by TheRebel »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage