All four speakers stopped working

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
mx71

All four speakers stopped working

Post by mx71 »

I have an aftermarket stereo, a Pioneer DEH-2700. I finally took the time to hunt down the wires under the dash for the rear speakers and got them all hooked up and working. I was listening to the stereo with the key on for probably an hour while I was doing some cleaning, and suddenly all four speakers stopped working at once. Any ideas?

Topic author
mx71

Re: All four speakers stopped working

Post by mx71 »

Well, they randomly started working again. Must be a loose wire.

Topic author
mx71

Post by mx71 »

Ok, so it's an intermittent problem with a loose wire somewhere. For a while, I was able to get it to work by slamming the driver rear door, but that stopped working. Does know what wires being loose would make a radio stop working? The power is still on when this is happening, and based on the reception graphic the stereo has, it's still getting reception, so I'm ruling out power wire and antenna, and I'm also ruling out speaker wires since it's happening to all four speakers at once. Memory is also working so that's ruled out as well. Maybe a ground somewhere? The rear speakers share a ground/negative. Could that have something to do with it? Are there any wires under the truck or carpet for this system?

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

If the head has individual grounds for each speaker, you need to have those individual grounds running to the speakers and can't use the common ground. Heard that is a good way to blow your amp out, maybe that's starting to happen?

I just went through this - I was using a Scosche Floating Ground Adapter so I could still use the common ground but the radio couldn't get very loud before distortion. I then realized, at least in my '84, that there are actually separate wires run for the negative side of the speakers that are run all the way to the dashboard, where they are joined to be common. Just clipped them before the connectors and was able to use the existing wiring without needing to run new speaker wire.

Would suggest either doing what I wound up doing, or get the floating ground adapter.

Don't know too much about this stuff, but can't really think of anything else that would cause all 4 speakers to go out at the same time.
1984 GW

Topic author
mx71

Post by mx71 »

It does have individual grounds, I just crimped the common ground together to the unit. Interestingly, when I pound on the driver cargo panel in the rear, it starts working? Tells me it's a loose wire? This problem did just start when I hooked up the rear speakers though, so your theory makes sense.

Topic author
mx71

Post by mx71 »

You know, I think that did it. I unfortunately did not have separate negative wires under the dash, so what I did was cut the wire at the rear of the frame where they combined and used one for left, and ran a new wire for right, and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks!

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

NICE!!!!

:-bd
1984 GW