Gas fill problem full sized Cherokee

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Blade

Gas fill problem full sized Cherokee

Post by Blade »

Hi guys, I have owned 2 FS cherokees, a 1976 & 1977. They both have gas fill problems where you would have to hold the filler at the perfect angle to get gas to flow - otherwise it would spit back out.
Does anyone have a fix for this?

babywag

Re: Gas fill problem full sized Cherokee

Post by babywag »

If it is nozzle(s) w/ crappy anti vapor boots have to use 2 hands.
One manuver boot into sweet spot & hold it there, other to hold handle.
My regular station to fill has them and they suck. Same issue with all my cars even the wife’s.

Problem 4 me @ this station is boot doesn’t seal correctly unless hold ‘em.

If it’s not “boots” then nvrmnd.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Topic author
Blade

Post by Blade »

I think it's because of the long tube from the fill port on the jeep, to the tank, and all the bends the gas has to make to get there. I've used all kinds of gas stations and types of filler nozzles - non of them allow me, (or the attendant) to walk away and let it fill automatically.

Is anyone else having this problem, or can you lock the gas filler nozzle open and walk away?

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Its the gas station if they have no boot and just a long neck you gatta pull the nozzle out to get it to fill... Honestly its lazy ass gas station owners who tbh are required to have boots on their pumps to begin with
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

It helps to find gas stations with a slope to park on, with the rear higher than the front. Slow fill is pretty much
universal with the very long fill hose to the tank.
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

Topic author
Blade

Post by Blade »

I'm thinking about adding a small tank where the spare tire is and have that drain into the main tank. I'll have to modify it somehow... I was just wondering if others are having the same problem.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea lots of ppl including me have thought about adding a 2nd tsnk.. 20 gallons jist isnt enough.. and like someone mentioned its better to park down hill if you can on a gas station lol.. The tank facing down engine side will allow you get more gas.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Wags and Cherks had crap fuel filler designs through most the 70s. We had fits in the beginning with Krista's 77 Waggy. Also had bad fumes in the cabin. We had an 81 Limited in the back yard for parts back then. The vent AND filler pipe come out of the fender side by side on the 81 design. I put the 81 filler in and abandoned the stock vent line that goes through the LR fender and used a rubber line from the filler vent to the tank. It isn't perfect but much better. We can usually get the dispenser nozzle to run on 1st or 2nd notch and walk away unless we are in CA. It still burps gas occasionally when it gets full.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

I have found that turning it upside down give me the best filling. Can almost depress the handle fully and get a fast fill this way. All the other angles seems to make it auto shut off quick and only allow me to fill it very slowly. Try the upside down method and see how you get along.

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

I thought it was just mine!

It's terrible - I get gas puking back at me and I can only get the tank about 3/4 full. I looked at the fuel system diagram and it looks to me like there should be a vent tube coming from the top of the tank back to the filler to let air escape while filling...and mine doesn't have that. I assumed that when the PO had all the custom work done, they replaced the tank and left off the vent tube, either because the replacement tank didn't have it or because they were lazy.

I've thought about dropping the tank and finding a place to add a vent line attachment so I can run a vent line myself. That filling problem is really frustrating.
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

merrill77 wrote:I've thought about dropping the tank and finding a place to add a vent line attachment so I can run a vent line myself. That filling problem is really frustrating.
Have you pulled the left rear interior side panel? The vent line would be inside there if it is still stock. Part of the vent line is steel and built into the fender well.
Flint Boardman

merrill77

Post by merrill77 »

Yes - the vent line I find there goes from the filler to the fender. As I understand it, this is designed to allow vapors from the the tank to escape. This is necessary when the fuel in the tank expands as it warms up.

It does not, however, provide a way for air to leave the tank as it fills - that is, without going back up the same way the fuel is coming in. At least, that is my understanding of what is there and what is needed.

My thought was to run an additional line from the top of the tank and connect it to this soft vent line...which would then have two avenues for air to escape (fender and filler).
77 Wagoneer and 97 TJ.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

That vent line is pinched and not much use to you. The original rubber lines are formed to make all the turns without pinching but after 30-40 years, it ends up rotten and venting fumes and even fuel inside the cabin. I think the design sucks for safety purposes. The 81 filler does not have ANY rubber hoses inside the cabin. See picture.
Phoebe 81 fuel filler.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flint Boardman

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I forgot to mention... Where the steel tubes go through the back of rocker there is a rubber gasket. The 77 had one with one hole for original filler pipe. The 81 has two holes to accommodate the vent line and filler. The hole in the back side of rocker had to be opened up to fit the two hole gasket and pipes. See diagram. The gasket is #3.
fuel filler diagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Flint Boardman

ghcoe

Post by ghcoe »

Too bad the "81 fill neck does not bolt in place of the older units....
SW Idaho Overlanding Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SWIdahoOverlan ... page_panel
SW Idaho Overlanding Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYuRx2 ... wVwZJ5oztg
1977 Jeep Cherokee WT
All-Terrain T/A® KO2
Safari Kit
Factory Brush Guard
Factory Tire Carrier
Custom Roof Rack

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

This mod was about a day worth of effort pulling both apart and installing the 81 plumbing. It cost nothing but time because the donor Wag was left at our house after being in a wreck. I used a shortened hack saw blade with stubby handle to open the hole up for the swap. It would have been faster with a electric cutting tool. This was done in 2002. We stepped up for a MTS poly fuel tank in 2003 when the original tank had the baffle plate break loose inside the metal tank on a ride to Yankee Boy Basin that July. When we swapped the body after the roll-over in 2010, the whole filler plumbing went on the 78 body that we put on the original frame and running gear. No issues outside of very slow fills in CA and parts of AZ. The 74-78 Cherk/Waggy fuel fillers are crap in my opinion.
Flint Boardman

Cheap Hobby

Post by Cheap Hobby »

79 isnt much better. I have the aux tank.the last time fill hose were replaced i changed the t fitting to the 2nd tank so the gas to the main had a straight shot. Also was very careful with the hose lengths so the bend radius was as large as possible to avoivd kinks and not rub. Im hoping the new roll over valve and line will help this time as well.
79 Cherokee WT QT Golden Eagle white with gold windows "Pigger" only blows hubs the night before a road trip or the clodest night of year. Has only been towed cause of stupid.