York compressor oil level--check?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

York compressor oil level--check?

Post by rocklaurence »

Hey Guys, I installed a new Compressor. Condenser, Accumulator in my J10. I used a can of 134 with oil [First Charge] to start it up and get it cooling. However, now I see a sticker stating that the oil needs to be added and identifying the port/bolt to add the oil. I did some research on how much oil 7/8-1 1/4" oil and that the cranks case is /isnt under pressure. So, I dont want to burn up my compressor but I dont want to loose all the refrigerant in the process. I've also read stories that even after closing the ports that the pressure destoys the gasket under the bolt. My question is, how do I check the oil level without loosing the refrigerant or the gasket under the fill bolt? Is the crank case under pressure?

SJTD

Re: York compressor oil level--check?

Post by SJTD »

The crankcase is pressurized.

You should be able to close the valves (front seat) on the pump head, fully CW I think but verify this. You'll loose whatever is in the pump itself but not the rest of the system.

I think on a properly charged system you can close the suction side and run it for a bit before closing the high side to minimize loss but since yours is apparently underoiled you probably should minimize how much you're running it.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

babywag

Post by babywag »

It's all in service manual...
In a nutshell, close service valves to isolate the compressor.
Fab up your "dipstick" tool, remove bolt, add/remove oil.
After your done, need to purge air from compressor, again procedure in manual.

Air is the enemy of AC, if using r134a I personally would skip the manual way, and evac/check oil/evac/recharge to eliminate any air.
r134a is cheap

The 2 new compressors I bought, were overfilled for using on an SJ, and had the incorrect type of oil(for r12).
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

With the valves front seated one can suck the air out of the compressor before opening it back up to the system, no?

Should I have said "evacuate"?
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I did read the procedure and I read it differently. My understanding is that the service valves only block the service valves while the circuit is always open. So, Service valves in the normal [run] position the service ports are blocked and the circuit is open. With the valves in the other position it connects the service ports for measurements, charging etc. At no point will the valves isolate the compressor from the circuit--is this thinking correct. I have extra valves on the bench and I checked their operation and they never close the circuit but only connect the service ports.????? If isolating the compressor was posible, you would be able to replace the compressor without loosing the charge..

babywag

Post by babywag »

The valves isolate the compressor by fully backseating them. This closes off the entire system except the compressor.
When valves are open(middle) you can charge/check pressure/etc.
When the valves are fully front seated, the service ports are closed.

Or it's the other way...I forget
Fully front seated = isolate compressor
Fully back seated = normal operation

If you have the valves sitting there on bench check to see which is which. But they're 3 position for the sole purpose of allowing compressor removal without losing the full charge.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

wade.bryce.jones

Post by wade.bryce.jones »

89 Grand Wagoneer
82 CJ7

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Front seat, CW, isolates the pump.

Be aware there will still be residual pressure in the pump with the valves closed.

The procedure you're looking at may only address charging the system in which case front seating would not be required since all you're doing is opening the valves to allow the gauges to read. Front seating is only required for pump removal or to check oil level.
Sic friatur crustulum

Topic author
rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

You guys are CORRECT. I looked at the spare set of valves and they do seat to isolate the circuit. I was able to isolate the compressor, crack the fittings to bleed off the residual pressure and fill the compressor to the correct level with oil. Thanks guys for you help and it just goes to show--when you think you know--you may not know it all. ;)
Thanks again

babywag

Post by babywag »

Be sure to use procedure in manual to purge air you introduced to system.
even a relatively small amount can make a system perform poorly.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)