Refurbishing "wood" trim pieces

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Refurbishing "wood" trim pieces

Post by dodgerammit »

So, I have an appt for Radio Flyer at a paint shop to get the hood swapped, the fender fixed, and sprayed to match the rest of the Jeep. :D

The paint job that is on it is decent and has quite a bit of life left, so I'm not dropping the coin on a full fledged resto.

Before it goes in the shop, I'll be removing the wood trim moldings from the side.

The woodgrain vinyl had long since been replaced by a dark brown paint between the moldings. Since I like the look, but want a nod to originality, I'm gonna order a 3M Dinoc in ebony metallic to keep the dark theme. https://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-DI-NO ... onymet.htm Me likey! :-bd

Since I'm not going back "Original" and my Waggy isn't a collectible low-mileage gem, I don't see the reason to spend $1200 on repop trim. Especially since I'm making it unique.

My question is this:

Has anyone actually had experience a) Painting or b)vinyl wrapping their old trim?

I plan on sanding the old trim, cleaning it up, and reusing it.

If I paint, I could use a graining tool to give the wood effect. I would need a paint that would bond to plastic. And I'm unsure of the properties of the aged pieces.

I could also simply wrap them in some other 3M Dinoc vinyl and have pieces that last as long as the rest of the vinyl.

I have seen both scenarios mentioned on the IFSJA site, but nobody has first hand experience or pics available.

Thanks!
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

HowardT64

Re: Refurbishing "wood" trim pieces

Post by HowardT64 »

I have not tried to restore mine like you have mentioned. I have thought of painting them when the time comes. I would think that if the plastic is sanded the paint would stick well ...maybe a good sealer on top to harden it?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

babywag

Post by babywag »

I’ve seen wrapped trim, looked like crap.
With the tight radius on trim I seriously doubt a great long lasting goal could be accomplished?

Every wrapped car or truck I’ve seen that had some miles on it was showing issues.
The stuff is nowhere near a long lasting product. It begins to lift in areas, and dings from contact show or worse bubble, stretch, tear, lift, etc.

I’d do paint, flex agents are available for paints, just be sure to get compatible product for paint you’re using/use.
Any decent paint store has it.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

HowardT64 wrote:I have not tried to restore mine like you have mentioned. I have thought of painting them when the time comes. I would think that if the plastic is sanded the paint would stick well ...maybe a good sealer on top to harden it?
Speaking from experience, the vinyl gradually shrinks and cracks from exposure, even under paint. Strip it.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

fulsizjeep wrote:
HowardT64 wrote:I have not tried to restore mine like you have mentioned. I have thought of painting them when the time comes. I would think that if the plastic is sanded the paint would stick well ...maybe a good sealer on top to harden it?
Speaking from experience, the vinyl gradually shrinks and cracks from exposure, even under paint. Strip it.
With that in mind...why not strip the decal and plastic trim and "Paint" the wood and trim on :) That way you can wax it and such :)

Like this...

http://dietzmotorcraft.com/cars/1987-je ... d-wagoneer
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

dang that is a BRIGHT red paint job...WOW
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

HowardT64 wrote:
fulsizjeep wrote:
With that in mind...why not strip the decal and plastic trim and "Paint" the wood and trim on :) That way you can wax it and such :)

Like this...

That Jeep still has the trim pieces.

Not getting rid of the trim, regardless.

As far as paint not adhering to differing vinyl and plastics, paint tech has come a long way since the 80s.

My T/A has 4 differing substrates on the body. No issues with paint coming loose like those bumpers on the 80s Cougars and T birds.

So, my question still stands.

I've also been told to check out hydro dipping. Not sure what all is involved with that.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

letank

Post by letank »

as said above, paint for plastic bumpers is pretty resistant to stretching, then clear coat with a catalyst clear coat. I did the motorcycle gas tank about 3 years ago and it is still very good... the bike sleeps outside and the ocean is 2 miles away, hence my rusty wagoneer.

to keep up the wood grain, I used a regular brush with acrylic paint, it is a 4 footer...check my Bodywork link below, not great but not too awful either, last about 3 years because I did not use clear coat.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

dodgerammit wrote:
HowardT64 wrote:
fulsizjeep wrote:Speaking from experience, the vinyl gradually shrinks and cracks from exposure, even under paint. Strip it.
Oops...thought it had none. I know I saw a red one that had them painted on....apologies

Like this...

That Jeep still has the trim pieces.

Not getting rid of the trim, regardless.

As far as paint not adhering to differing vinyl and plastics, paint tech has come a long way since the 80s.

My T/A has 4 differing substrates on the body. No issues with paint coming loose like those bumpers on the 80s Cougars and T birds.

So, my question still stands.

I've also been told to check out hydro dipping. Not sure what all is involved with that.
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

mlaver

Post by mlaver »

The modern cast easy apply cast wrap films like, 3M IJ180C Controltac with Comply Graphic Film, should work and are printable with a wood grain. I'd check with someone wrapping vehicles in your area see what they suggest and see if they would print some for you.
L.