Coil over Shocks?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
HowardT64

Coil over Shocks?

Post by HowardT64 »

Saw a listing for "Coil over shocks" Claiming to rejuvenate sagging springs or something like that. Is there any truth to this?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Coil over Shocks?

Post by Stuka »

Yes, but they also make your ride significantly stiffer and you risk breaking the shock mount off.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tedlovesjeeps71

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

What Stuka said. Coilover shocks and the old air shocks have always been a scary thing. Relying on,at best, a 1/2" bolt to support the weight of your vehicle seems close to suicide. JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

ack!! okay...nm...push that idea right out
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Im using 4 from gabriel their 500 lbs shocks.. havent had any issues in a year now.. Gave me an inch of ride height when i got them. I later replaced my old leaf springs but decided to keep the coil overs. They also help the rear end from dropping so much with a lot of weight in the back.

The only downside is the ride is much rougher.. Ive been debating on getting some gabriel ultras for shocks to make the ride softer.. but tbh im not sure yet.

Im happy with coil overs... Im not too worried about the shock mount breaking off... The shock mount is too thick for that in the rear. and the front mount is being held on by 3 very large bolts.

Heck my front shock mount someone put a smaller bolt in i guess when they removed their old bolt they broke the bolt head so they drilled into the mount and tapped a thread and its using a like 12mm bolt to hold it on.. Hasnt broke yet and i drive it daily.

Also go on google.. Try to find a thread mentioning coil overs broke a shock mount of bolt.. You wont find anything. Ill leave it st that in this thread.. Been attacked for my opinions on these coil overs..

The coil overs arent supporting the entire weight of your vehicle.. they have a 250lbs limit each shock.. That will hardly break anything. Go under your jeep Push up with your arm real hard.. That end will go up bout 1.2 an inch.. then think about it for a second. lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Im just trying to breathe some life into the height of my wag...I cant afford four new springs just yet, and they DO need it badly :) If I can get 2-2.5 inches height id be happy :) I dont drive a lot...and when I do its mostly on pavement. I dont do any offroad driving...mainly because I have been disabled and could not get out. So I am not torturing the suspension.
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

tedlovesjeeps71

HowardT64 wrote:Im just trying to breathe some life into the height of my wag...I cant afford four new springs just yet, and they DO need it badly :) If I can get 2-2.5 inches height id be happy :) I dont drive a lot...and when I do its mostly on pavement. I dont do any offroad driving...mainly because I have been disabled and could not get out. So I am not torturing the suspension.
Add a leafs would serve you better. For some effort and a few bucks, snag four individual leaves from the junkyard and buy new center pins. If your only doing it short term and are careful/lucky, you may be able to reuse your U bolts.

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I would replace the center pins all the hardware (bolts, etc) and clean them up as well. Add a leaf huh?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

tedlovesjeeps71

HowardT64 wrote:I would replace the center pins all the hardware (bolts, etc) and clean them up as well. Add a leaf huh?
Getting the old hardware out, especially the rear spring front bolts, can be a nightmare depending on rust.
On a budget and short term are two reasons to do AALs. If you search you can probably find threads for what springs make good donors for waggys from the junkyard. Or if you have the $ you could just buy an AAL kit but that’s probably getting closer to new spring costs. I’m thrifty (cheap) so I prefer the JY version. Let’s randomly say the rear springs from an F150 would be good donors. There are usually plenty in the JYs. Go pull whichever springs fit the bill to make a “bastard pack”. Go home and insert new leaf/leaves into your pack and drive. Done deal. And while it may or may not stiffen the ride, you are not playing Russian roulette by hoping your lil shock bolt may fail and drive your tire into the wheelwells.

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Thats not a bad Idea! I have the time, I may just poke around and find what would be compatible :) My Dad has a huge shop so space would be no problem. As far as the old hardware...since I would be replacing it, could I just cut it off?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension- ... ier-shocks

Just saying 74$ a pair free shipping.. 2 bolts and your done

When i replaced my leaf springs on my Jeep the first 3 were hard to get off the 4th was even harder.. the first 3 springs took me 4 days of work for like 5 hours each day on the ground fighting with brute strength.. and cutting the leaf spring mount off on the rear ones.. The I bolt was rusted into the metal sleave and no amount of force could unfree them..

So an ADD a leaf depending how hard your bolts are to remove will be a royal pain in the BEEPING ass to do and i wouldnt even bother i would just buy new leaf springs then..

first pic is before the coil overs 2nd is after, 2nd last pic is when i was doing my leaf springs but you can see how the coil over fits in the front, last pic is with the coil overs and new OEM springs not chinese ones but ones made in PA, USA, this is how the wagoneers rode from factory. Looks like i got a lift on it doesnt it ? But in fact thats the stock height

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Thats the height I am looking for!!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Just need to find a source to get the leaf springs. Since I am a po' bastidge, I need to get it one set at a time. One month, drivers side front...etc etc...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/

or here

https://www.truckspring.com/

call to order on phone to see if they em in stock. for me i ordered the rears at one and fronts at another.. Both came from the same manufacture in PA with big fwt made in usa stamps and stickers. Youll need 97-485 for the rears. 1150 lbs springs. And the front you ca either get 97-400 or 97-402.. 97-400 is 1350 lbs and 402 is 1455lbs. I got the 97-402 to support more weight.

They arent too expensive 150-160 per spring.

Remember the rear on our wagoneers arent sagging.. The quarter panel wheel well sits 2 inches lower then the fender wheel well giving an illusion the wagoneer sags.. Dont believe me ? Grab a measuring tape.. measure from the ground to the first peice of wood trim.. Do that on both sides and youll see the rear panel is 2 inches lower.

I wish people would stop thinking our wagoneers sag in the back

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Mine does o the drivers side, just enough...it sits kind of lop sided. You can see it a little when it is sitting level :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I would like to hear from someone who has actually broken shock mounts on an FSJ when using air shocks or coil over shocks. I had a set of air shocks front and back on my first Waggy. For six years I beat the crap out of that thing and never had a problem.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

fulsizjeep wrote:I would like to hear from someone who has actually broken shock mounts on an FSJ when using air shocks or coil over shocks. I had a set of air shocks front and back on my first Waggy. For six years I beat the crap out of that thing and never had a problem.

im lucky if i put 50 miles a month on my wag...i bet some air shocks would suffice on mine till i can get new springs :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I have decided for now to get some air shocks for the rear and some coil overs for the front. I dont drive my Jeep a whole lot...and when I do it is in town and I am lucky to get many miles on her in a month. This will level the way she rides and make her look nice for a bit till I can get new springs :)

Which will take me a bit. I am thinking of...*choke* selling my Harley so that I can get the suspension done. I am so messed up physically, I should not ride again. So...Ill put money into my beloved Jeep :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

HowardT64 wrote:Mine does o the drivers side, just enough...it sits kind of lop sided. You can see it a little when it is sitting level :)

Thats because of the gas tank weight. Not the actual springs themselves, at 6-7 lbs per gallon if the tank is full, thats 140lbs extra on one side not counting the skid platle weight, the weight of the transfercase which is more to the drivers side, and also gas tank itself So you probably got 200-300 lbs more leaning to the drivers side then the passenger side.. Its the same thing as someone sitting in a vehicle itll lean very slightly to that side.. Like if you sit on the tailgate it drops ect, Having a heavy trailer hitch and the spare tire down there can also drop the rear end. Take the tire and hitch off and youre removing a couple hundred lbs almost. hOWEVER with my coilovers mine doesnt lean anywhere, I can have 200+ lbs of tools in the back and my 300lbs fat ass sitting on the tail gate and it drops only an 1/2 to 1 inch at the most. Prior to the coil overs when i sat on the tailgate it would drop 2 inches with just me not even counting the tools. The shocks deff keep you from losing inches with alot of weight

fulsizjeep wrote:I would like to hear from someone who has actually broken shock mounts on an FSJ when using air shocks or coil over shocks. I had a set of air shocks front and back on my first Waggy. For six years I beat the crap out of that thing and never had a problem.

Thats what im saying man, i tried looking on google i couldnt find any posts anywhere where someone mentioned they broke a shock mount or the shock bolts from coil overs.. I just havent see any evidence on it. The brackets are 3/16th steel welded to the axle in the back i just do no see it ever breaking off, unless the welds are rusted and already weak. And 3 very large bolts for the front brackets and more welds on the lower part