J10 Road trip

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
nstevic01

J10 Road trip

Post by nstevic01 »

Flying out to Dallas, Texas tomorrow morning to drive a 4 speed 360 J10 back to Florida. The Jeep runs and drives well but I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on what to watch for while driving that distance. Oil was just changed and all fluids topped off.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: J10 Road trip

Post by Stuka »

Keep an eye on temps, if the gas gauge doesnt work, keep an eye on your odometer (assuming it works). Would not hurt to buy a 5 gallon gas can and fill it up before you leave. Never hurts have some basic tools too.

If its been sitting for a while, a spare fuel filter, oh and make sure the tires are not dry rotted.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
nstevic01

Re: J10 Road trip

Post by nstevic01 »

Fun times. Rear driveshaft fell out literally 100 feet from the guys house. Took us almost 6 hours to swap the rear U-joint with basic hand tools. No store in the area had the right tool. Ended up beating it out and using a bench vice to get the new one in. Made it a couple of hours out of Texas before I had to stop.

There is a nasty vibration between 30 and 45 mph and now all the gears in the tranny grind....fun times.

At a shop now in Louisiana to address the rear diff leaking and to replace another ujoint. While on the lift, the frame looks great, brakes need replacing soon, and the fuel tank has a leak at the top. One thing I will say, this time with the truck is helping me figure out everything that needs replaced or repaired.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk