Very Sad story of a former owner of a Junkyard 88 Grand Wagoneer..

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Very Sad story of a former owner of a Junkyard 88 Grand Wagoneer..

Post by candymancan »

Wow.. So today i found an 88 in the yard.. Never picked must have just got there as i didnt see it a week ago. SCORE! i thought to myself. I proceed to start stripping with my friend, took the hood ornament.. found a 2ND ornament in the back.. Found the original cargo cover WOOT !. This Jeep was a Gem, everything came off easily no struggling.. I look up and Boom a sunroof !! (if anyone needs sunroof parts let me know) As i an digging into the garbage i stop to take a few minutes to learn about the history of this Jeep.

As i read and look at pictures i beggin to understand the former owner. He was a spanish guy, worked in construction or landscaping, owned his own business. He had pictures of him and his crew posing on a new retaining wall that they were building.. They seemed happy, i would. Thats really good money i know as i do landscaping myself. I begin to find more pictures. One of his daughters, then i find THE picture ! The picture dated 1988, with this middle aged man standing in a business suit leaning one arm on the side mirror smiling next to a brand new shiny 1988 Grand Wagoneer with dealer tags still. I began to realize this guy was the original owner.. I thought to myself, why did he let it go after 30 years, I mean when picking it you see it has a brand new candy apple sparkle red paint job.. I mean brand new, the original color was black..

I look for more papers and see a yellow tag on the windshield wipers still holding it. It was VIOLATION VIOLATION VIOLATION in bold letter.. Dated 2-28-18. WOW so it was towed.. I look inside at more paperwork, the Jeep had multiple parking tickets inside and letters from the county. I then find 2 long letters written in spanish. I dont speak spanish but my friend does. She begins to read them and the story comes together. He was writing his wife in mexico telling her how stressed out he is. His mother is very ill, he has no money and is broke. He doesnt know what to do and he also complains about her requesting too much money. He sends every single dime he makes to mexico (a story we all know that immigrants do). He goes on about how he hates his life how he is drinking and cant find good work and he tells her he loves her and signs the letter.

So three things could have happened here.

1. This man died or committed suicide.

2. He got deported by ICE and that could be possible considering whats going on with immigration currently.

3. He couldnt afford anything anymore the Jeep wouldnt run and he didnt have the funds to tow it or get it moving and thus it was repo'd by the city he lived in and sold to a salvage yard due to its age. My guess is he looks in his 40's in the picture.. So 30 years later he simply might just be too old to work

Im going on 3.

But this was a very sad story, original owner you can see how good his life was back then. Standing happy next to his Brand new Grand Wagoneer. and lemme tell you this thing was a beauty new.. I took that one picture with me.

Just thought id share this story with you all.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: Very Sad story of a former owner of a Junkyard 88 Grand Wagoneer..

Post by rocklaurence »

Wow, it makes you think. I cant understand how you'd work 30 years in America and not have your wife and kids immigrate to be with you. Exspecially during the financially Good times. Chances are that Women and alcohal played into it. Thirty years separated fom your wife is a loooong time and if that's the case he probly had a few girl friends on the side.

will e

Post by will e »

rocklaurence wrote: he probly had a few girl friends on the side.
That would explain being broke. ;)

Sometimes when I see an old car that has been through the wringer I tell myself, 'That was shiny and new once'.

A lifetime as a landscaper is hard work. At least it was in California where the weather is usually nice.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That is a sad story. My Wife is from Mexico, and she still sends a little money back to her parents every month. Mexico is very big on family, and always trying to help your family however you can. Even if separated by thousands of miles.

Thanks for sharing.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

That's crazy that you found that much info still in the jeep in the yard, and that was a depressing story.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I just went back to get the dash pad for my Jeep.. i found more stuff in there... paperwork addresses in mexico and like 200 pictures of him and his family in mexico when they were i guess having a family dinner

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

candymancan wrote:I just went back to get the dash pad for my Jeep.. i found more stuff in there... paperwork addresses in mexico and like 200 pictures of him and his family in mexico when they were i guess having a family dinner
You know, you could grab all those photos, and mail them to that address. Sounds like a lot of family history. Or find his address that is most likely local to you there. Maybe they towed it off without him being able to go through it.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea i was thinking of doing that. His address is in maryland, im in Virginia. But there are two maryland address's at least on the paperwork and some of these letters are from 1996 and 2000 ect. But i have a feeling the family in mexico is probably in the same house so i might go back and grab the pictures and letters and mail them.

Some of the pictures are of a funeral and im guessing the funeral was his mom that he was talking about being sick in the letters

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

What area in mexico is the address from?
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I cant remember off hand i think it said puebla not sure if thats a place. Im going back with my breaker bar to get the trailer hitch off either tomorrow or wed, when i go ill take the pictures and stuff with me and the address's

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

candymancan wrote:I cant remember off hand i think it said puebla not sure if thats a place. Im going back with my breaker bar to get the trailer hitch off either tomorrow or wed, when i go ill take the pictures and stuff with me and the address's
It is a place, its kind of near Vera Cruz in the southern half of the country.
2017 JKU Rubicon

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Wow, what an awesome, crazy crew we have here! Put your self in his families position. Some guy finds some info and takes his time to find you to pass it back. A link to a life you you could not be part of. Well done . :-bd
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky