Found an 88 with a near perfect dash. Worth taking ?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Found an 88 with a near perfect dash. Worth taking ?

Post by candymancan »

I might have just answered my own question but i want some opinions. My 90 Is cordovan, this 88 i found today had a sunroof in it was never picked and the dash pad was near perfect.. No rips, cracks, no warping except a tiny itty bit but unless you really look you dont see it. The pad in my 90 is terrible, looks like a giant wave pattern up and down up and down, you can push it down like 3-4 inches in 2 spots, and the passenger side bottom corner near the grand wagoneer painted lettering is folded off the dash i can stick my hand inside and see the wiring inside if i flip it open more and look.

The only reason i didnt grab it was because everyone said you gatta remove the windshield and i dont know if i want to do that with my 90. So if i get this pad itll be in storage for awhile most likely. But i doubt ill ever find a pad again thats flat and my color.

So should i go back and grab it ? If so how does one take it off ? I know the windshield has to be removed but how do i take it off by myself ? Im not worried about breaking it but id prefer not too in case someone else needs it. Remove the outer trim (which i plan to take in case my peices get bent removing my windshield) then what ? What tool should i bring to help pry the thing off im assumed its glued on ? Or is it litterally just a rubber gasket and no windshield glue like a modern car ?

As for the dash, besides the obvious bolts under the windshield gasket, where else do i need to unscrew. I have yet to really look but im assuming a bunch of screws are under the wood trim in the cabin right ? Are there screws i need to undo by crawling under the dash like for the sides and so forth. Any help on locations would be nice so i dont break something.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

letank

Re: Found an 88 with a near perfect dash. Worth taking ?

Post by letank »

if you own a a waggy for long enough, you will need a new windshield at some point...
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

mm well, would it be worth taking this windshield on this Jeep as well ? And tossing it in storage. i've heard the safelight ones are junk.

Anyone know what the torqx size is for the bolts under the windshield so i dont show up there without it. My torqx set is kinda aging need to get new ones but yea i wanna be sure.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Ok so i got the dash pad... what a royal PITA... I have no idea why everyone says the dash pad is being held on by those screws under the windshield but thays completely wrong..

The dash pad has square cutouts of the vinyl and thr pad just forms around the screws and their washers but it isnt directly bolted to it.. Maybe the two very front ones hold it on as it just had holes not square cutouts.. but you can just lift up on the windshield gasket and take a box cutter and cut the vinyl on the two screws.... The dash pad is being held down by the windshield gasket... Nothing more.

Once you get the plastic dash frame out by fighting with those 10 7 and 9mm nuts holding the dawh pad down.. you can easily pry gently on the gasket and pull the pad out.. and when you put it back in its the same process..

The METAL dash is whats being held up by those screws under the windshield... not the dash pad.

There is absolutetly 0 need to remove the windshield...

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Because they make the same assumption you're making, that they are all the same.

On my '84 the pad was under each and every dash bolt. You could cut the vinyl but...

Also, removing the whole dash and/or pad is possible with the windshield in place. Itsa bitch to get the bolts out from under the gasket but it can be done. Putting it back in I'd say is pretty much impossible.

Removing the windshield is pretty easy, especially if you aren't trying to save the gasket. With the trim off you just cut around the locking strip and it pushes right out.

But it's good you did it that way. Keeps the rain from ruining the interior.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

No i removed the windshield... Only to find out the windshield itself isnt holding the pad down nire were the bolts.. Litterally the factory cut out rectangles in the vinyl around the bolts and the pad was just laying there not bolted down ... Thats what im saying.. Even if another pad had the bolts locked into the exess vinyl it still isnt really holding it to be honest. There is 2 or 2 1.2 inches of pad under there and the gasket is all that was holding it down on this one.. So if thats all it was on this one.. Why couldnt you just cut around the bolts on another and slide it back in the gasket ? You know what im saying ? That flap you lift up is like an inch and that flap should be more then enough to to keep it in place. The pad on this one the foam only went 1 inch out the other 1 inch was just brittle hard extra vinyl.

Ill snap pics of what im talkin about. What im thinking is since the pad is already oretty stiff it really isnt going anywhere once bolted down in the front, all it needs is the windshield flap to hide under and thats it. If i remove my windshield to (bolt) the pad down.. How will i bolt it down if the vinyl is cut out from factory where the bolts go.. lol do you see what im saying

It wasnt hard removing the windshield just alot of cutting of the outer gasket.. But i dont wanna do that to mine.

Ima try my way first.. And ill report back on how it goes im like 95% confident this will work