Correct style centercap for 1979 First FSJ, first post

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
ryanheinze

Correct style centercap for 1979 First FSJ, first post

Post by ryanheinze »

Hello, I'm trying to figure out the correct center cap for the 1979 Wagoneer limited. I bought a set of 4 center caps that I had assumed were for the wheels I have but they appear to be incorrect, after questioning them I searched a bit more and it seems there is a second style that screws to the wheel from the cap side and they have a very thin shoulder. Which one is correct for the year? I have the 8 round hole aluminum wheels (they look like GM wheels)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ryanheinze on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

will e

Re: Correct style centercap for 1979 First FSJ, first post

Post by will e »

Welcome to the forum! There are indeed more than one type of cap. The one you appear to have I believe worked on the later years.

The ones you want probably look like this:

http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11793

When painted they look more like this:

81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
ryanheinze

Post by ryanheinze »

Ok, thank you very much for clearing that up for me Will e, I appreciate it. Now I have to go hunt up the correct 4 caps.

will e

Post by will e »

No worries. Hold on a bit and see if someone else confirms. There are people on this board who know everything. Or better said, there are lots of people who know everything about different parts.

BTW, you will eventually get around to asking about the strap on the passenger B pillar. It's used to hold the seat in place when the seat is folded up. ;)
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
ryanheinze

Post by ryanheinze »

It's hilarious that you mention that, my wife and I had no idea what that strap was for. :)

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

There is also more than one style for 70's wheels as I recall (The ribs around the outside are different). But as long as you buy a complete set, you should be fine. Oh, and yes, you want the style as shown above that has the 3 holes that go through the flanges.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

My 79's slotted mags have no factory drilled and tapped holes to accommodate center caps.
1979 Wagoneer