So, I let my brother drive my Waggy tonight....

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
dodgerammit

So, I let my brother drive my Waggy tonight....

Post by dodgerammit »

Little backstory. My brother (7 years younger) and I are pretty close, even though we have differing vehicle tastes.

He owns (is paying for) a new 2018 Chevy Silverado crew that books around $50K and is leasing an Infinity QX80. It books at $85K. :shock:

He has had his fair share of inexpensive vehicles, but never worked on them his self. As soon as they give problems, it is trade in for something new.

A few weeks ago, he took me for a ride in the Infinity. I'll admit, it is nice. There is no way in he** I'd pay that for one, nor lease a vehicle.

One thing he did that he was so impressed about was turn the thing around in a tee-intersection of two roads. It does turn well.

Tonight was my turn. I gave him the keys to Radio Flyer and let him take it out for a spin.

He was impressed how smooth it rode and the top end it had. He also was shocked at how tight and responsive the steering was.

Then, on the way back in his neighborhood, I told him to do the 180* turn in the intersection. Just as tight as the Infinity.

He was very impressed. He commented that this thing had to be the top of the line when new given it was now almost 35 years old and still this well mannered. Of course, he would never own something like this Jeep, nor would he put TLC into an older vehicle like I do.

I'm not knocking his way. It works for him. He's happy.

But I did open his eyes about how a well cared for machine will perform, no matter the age.

I've spent less than $6K on my investment compared to what the QX80 retails for. I could spend another $6K on a complete mechanical overhaul and still be ahead in my opinion. That makes me feel happy.

That's all that matters, right? :-bd

Keep Jeepin'
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: So, I let my brother drive my Waggy tonight....

Post by Stuka »

Yeah, new vehicles are not cheap.

There is something to be said for not having a car payment. And if the waggy does everything you need, no need to spend on anything more.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Stuka wrote:Yeah, new vehicles are not cheap.

There is something to be said for not having a car payment. And if the waggy does everything you need, no need to spend on anything more.

Exactly. I haven't had a car payment in 6 years. Hope to never have one again.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Leasing worked great for me. Some other guy took the big hit on depreciation on my '16 Jetta with 9k miles.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Werent wagoneers advertised for having such a tight turning radius.. Ive heard before they turn like a small car. I noticed that on mine. Wheel locked and turning it doesnt take much to make a 360 circle in it or make a u turn. My ZJ u turns like truck but the wagoneer u turns like a small car.

As for tight steering.. granted ours are old and stuff so we dont know what it was like new.. But the wagoneer doesnt really habe tight steering.. I have no slop at all in the wheel but the steering is a bit mushy compared to a modern car.. Our camaro when you turn just 1.2 inch on the wheel the car responds pretty drasticly. The wagoneer 1.2 is mush lol.

I can drive the wagoneer with 2 fingers easily and the mush makes steering easy.. On the camaro 2 fingers is dangerous because one little slip it will respond immediatly. Peronally i prefer how the wagoneers steering feels.. I never like the camaro and its (responsive) steering.. Its just too responsive.

And with the steerjng on modern cars being electric and not hydraulic you cant (feel) the road like you can with a rack and pinion hydro steering
Last edited by candymancan on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

They were essentially advertised as a 4 wheel drive station wagon, iirc.

az chip

Post by az chip »

Once I saw the title I thought something had happened! Glad all is well.

That said, I drive a 2004 Chevy 'burban with 350,000 on the odo. Just put $2,200 in to it this month but no car payment.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Topic author
dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

az chip wrote:Once I saw the title I thought something had happened! Glad all is well.

That said, I drive a 2004 Chevy 'burban with 350,000 on the odo. Just put $2,200 in to it this month but no car payment.
He's 29 and has a good head on his shoulders. If he were still 16, though...... :|

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

For years, I was spoiled with the tight turning radius, too!!

IFS is great, but the turning radius of new cars has a LOT to be desired!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

IFS itself doesn't cause a bad turning radius. Its the max angle of the CV's that are used. AWD cars especially tend to have a poor turning radius.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Driftwood

Post by Driftwood »

I have owned a stock 85 and a 84 which had a 3 inch lift. Their turning and steering was ....meh.

But now, holy cow, my 79, which is bone stock, is amazing.

It by far has the tightest turning radius I have ever known in any of my cars.

I dream of a 3 inch lift for it but I don't dare do it for fear of loosing its turning and steering superpowers.
1979 Wagoneer