Replacement Power Mirrors Switch Grand Wagoneer

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Oldmanwag

Replacement Power Mirrors Switch Grand Wagoneer

Post by Oldmanwag »

The design of the Power Mirror Switch is horrible. That's why only Jeep had it and used it on the GW no where else. The switch uses a 3 wire reverse polarity, invitation to a melt down in my opinion. The power mirror is 3 wire as well so I am swapping the guts out with the dual toggle switch of an 86 Jaguars power mirror system (4 wire system). Thats my 1st choice but I'm also examining swapping out the mounts of each and just going with the Jag mirror base units as well. They are amazingly close in size and look. Will post pics of the finished product. The Jag power mirrors cost me $25 each and the switch was $40. Easy to find the parts unlike the GW Switch. Annoying part will be running a single wire (ours are 3 wire) from the Drivers door thru the dash and back to the other door.

dodgerammit

Re: Replacement Power Mirrors Switch Grand Wagoneer

Post by dodgerammit »

I'm following this... Do you have the measurements comparing mounting of the two mirrors?
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Oldmanwag

Post by Oldmanwag »

Not yet but I will post them in the next few days. Complete with photos. I know there are many that have given up on power windows thanks to the poor design AMC used. There is hope on the horizon stay tuned:)

Topic author
Oldmanwag

Post by Oldmanwag »

The 1981-87 Jaguar XJ6 Chrome Power Mirror is a MATCH for the 88 Grand Wagoneer Power mirror, right down to the drill holes and gasket. I'll be swapping over to the 4 wire unit and 4 wire switch this weekend. Already have my Drivers Interior Panel off and will drill the 2 holes to mount the Dual Toggles Chrome Cover over the same spot my OEM factory cover was. I popped the plastic wire cover off at the door to run the extra control wire thru the door back under the dash to the other power mirror I'm mounting.

From what I can see the Jags Chroming Process was better as it doesn't feel or look as cheap as the AMC chroming process. I'm doing a You Tube on this and will post a separate chain covering everything I did.

Topic author
Oldmanwag

Post by Oldmanwag »

Here's pics of the Jag Power Mirror and the GW Power Mirror side by side. Also pics of the Jag Mirror mounted on the door. Notice the gasket marks being slightly smaller than the GW. Also the cool Jag Dual Toggle switch. Look close and see the 4th Green wire i added by wiring in our 3 wire OEM cable. Now I'm going to have to wire the 2nd toggle the same way. In the photo I haven't done that yet.

Pics

http://www.Jeepwagoneer.shutterfly.com

Topic author
Oldmanwag

Post by Oldmanwag »

I really love this mod. Having dual switches in the same retro way as OEM but with 2 instead of one feels old school James Bond. Thinking of mounting a sliding door inside the dash to conceal a new stereo and leave my old retro tuner cassette exposed for originality.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

Did you ever do a clip of this install?
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

Topic author
Oldmanwag

Post by Oldmanwag »

I only did the drivers side but i ran the additional control wire (from the drivers master switch toggles on the door) for the passengers side mirror thru the door and the frame and left it coiled to do the passenger side. Recall that the OEM mirror motor is 3 wire motor (with reverse polarity switch). The Jag is a 4 wire mirror motor so you have to run an extra wire along side the factory 3 wire harness to make it work. That applies to both mirror motors. I'm waiting for parts to rebuild all the door seals and window scrappers. Rebuilding seals in the door is a real PITA. But i never dreamed the rear doors would be harder.