First FSJ, and I cant even get it home

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
aserf2dr

First FSJ, and I cant even get it home

Post by aserf2dr »

So after what seems like an age of searching i have finally found my perfect first project Cherokee. The price was great and it has all of the great older period stuff still on it, a real old man time capsule. The only problem is its currently in eastern Oregon while i reside in south eastern PA. Now I have shipped multiple vehicles before this, some overseas, and it has never once posed a problem like this has. i settled up payment for the Jeep about three weeks ago and i still have not been able to get a carrier truck with a winch to travel to that corner of the state. My questions is, how long has it taken for some of you to have a rig picked up, and if so what if its not running. Maybe im needlessly stressing out and I should be more patient but a really want to get this on the road in time for spring! Thanks in advance

66stepside

Re: First FSJ, and I cant even get it home

Post by 66stepside »

Have you tried https://www.uship.com/ship/?

It’s kinda like a “reverse” auction, they start off kinda steep, then multiple carriers bid it down over a period of about 7 days.

Topic author
aserf2dr

Post by aserf2dr »

No until now i had not known about UShip. However i have 2 different brokers looking for carriers willing to go out of their way to go pick it up.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

What about having the broker hire a tow truck to tow it to the carrier?
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
aserf2dr

Post by aserf2dr »

i have never thought about getting a tow truck. I cant imagine that would be very cheap but i may have to look into it. The Jeep is currently in Central Point OR, and if i remember correctly Eugene is the closest city that semi routinely sees any carrier traffic.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

aserf2dr wrote:i have never thought about getting a tow truck. I cant imagine that would be very cheap but i may have to look into it. The Jeep is currently in Central Point OR, and if i remember correctly Eugene is the closest city that semi routinely sees any carrier traffic.
Central Point is right on i5, a large amount of the traffic on i5 is made up of Semis. I am very surprised there are not carriers going up and down through there.

Having it towed to Redding, CA or Eugene OR would not be cheap, as its about 3 hours either way. But you may be able to get a small time carrier to grab just it and bring it to one of the places for less than a tow truck.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

I used Upscale Auto Transport, based on a recommendation on here. And I was very happy. I recommended them to another member, who was also happy. Carlos and Bert both are brokers who are recommended.

They ended up getting me a very reasonable price, shipping from Oregon to New Hampshire. Also, they had a driver ready to pick up the same day. West to east shipments are usually cheaper and more available.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have used Uship twice with good results. Each time it took a few weeks to get lined up. You have pix of that time machine you bought?
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
aserf2dr

Post by aserf2dr »

Ok so I have started an "auction" on uship.com and it should be done by the end of the week, so we will see. Also i have some pictures but I really want to wait to share it till i get it in my own driveway! Thanks everyone for all of the help, and will keep you posted when i get it.

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

Medford is near central point. It's a decent sized city. I think central point is suburb.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.