Mechanical Fuel Pump Manufacture Info

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
kansasboy001

Mechanical Fuel Pump Manufacture Info

Post by kansasboy001 »

After many issues with poor quality fuel pumps I set out to find who actually is making these things as no matter what brand I got the pump seemed exactly the same, only the gaskets were different. After looking through opticat online, and calling various manufactures and vendors tech lines I have found what brands come from where.

South Korea made pumps (Daewha Fuel Pump Industries):
I have categorized them under the supplier who the vendor says they get it from. The GMB tech support rep told me that carter, spectra, and them all have their pumps manufactured at the same factory in south korea. This chart just shows the flow of re-branding going on here.

All of these pumps are manufactured by Daewha the 3 companies that buy direct is Carter, Spectra, and GMB. These companies then sell to parts stores for their own brands as well. All are identical pumps.
Carter Fuel Systems:
  • Carter
  • Oreilly's Precision Brand
  • Napa

Spectra Industries:
  • Spectra Premium
  • Carquest
  • Delphi
GMB North America:
  • GMB
*Notes:
Carquest claims that their pumps are the "only mechanical pump made in the USA" however when you call them their rep says that they source the pump at least for our fsj's from Spectra which gets their pumps made in korea.

China made pumps
Surprisingly there only seems to be one company getting the pumps made in china
  • Crown
Mexico made pumps
  • Airtex
Other unknown pumps:
  • Bj's Offroad
  • Team Grand Wagoneer
I called BJ's and TGW and they will not disclose their vendor. Bj's claims that their pump is USA made, and Im willing to bet that they are trying the same trick as Carquest. It's well known that many of TGW's parts are from Crown and there's no reason to think that the fuel pump is no different as they don't even try to say what country its made in. They both probably wont disclose their vendors because then well see the nearly 50% markup that they have going on.

There also is the Mopar pump you can get through Chrysler vintage parts for $100 but thats probably a crown pump as most parts were in the later days.

So there you have it. Not many real options available.
Last edited by kansasboy001 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

tgreese

Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump Manufacture Info

Post by tgreese »

This is interesting, but I would expect that the QA practiced by the distributor matters more than the country of origin. Mechanical fuel pumps are not technically advanced, and any company could contract for the casting and assembly equipment to be delivered overseas or wherever. As long as the training is adequate and the employees and product are held to a high enough standard, quality and longevity should be fine. It comes down to - which name do you trust the most, and is the premium you pay for a particular name worth the extra money?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

tgreese wrote:This is interesting, but I would expect that the QA practiced by the distributor matters more than the country of origin. Mechanical fuel pumps are not technically advanced, and any company could contract for the casting and assembly equipment to be delivered overseas or wherever. As long as the training is adequate and the employees and product are held to a high enough standard, quality and longevity should be fine. It comes down to - which name do you trust the most, and is the premium you pay for a particular name worth the extra money?
After doing a little more digging I found the supplier in Korea. It is Daewha Fuel Pump Industries. The largest fuel pump manufacturer in the world. Carter, Spectra and GMB simply buy from them with their own part numbers stamped on the side.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

babywag

Post by babywag »

tgreese wrote:This is interesting, but I would expect that the QA practiced by the distributor matters more than the country of origin. Mechanical fuel pumps are not technically advanced, and any company could contract for the casting and assembly equipment to be delivered overseas or wherever. As long as the training is adequate and the employees and product are held to a high enough standard, quality and longevity should be fine. It comes down to - which name do you trust the most, and is the premium you pay for a particular name worth the extra money?
Name means nothing any longer, quality is still sketchy.
ACDelco for example really tanked in quality.
Same with many other companies now.
Generally it’s same part in more expensive box.

Best option is buy which one offers best warranty, and inspect part thoroughly before install.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

Per the FTC (https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busines ... a-standard), any vendor claiming an item is "Made in the USA" needs to be able to prove it:

"What substantiation is required for a Made in USA claim?
When a manufacturer or marketer makes an unqualified claim that a product is Made in USA, it should have — and rely on — a "reasonable basis" to support the claim at the time it is made. This means a manufacturer or marketer needs competent and reliable evidence to back up the claim that its product is "all or virtually all" made in the U.S."

If BJ's and TGW are unwilling to provide the vendor for their product, or some other form of evidence as to the country of origin, I would personally be very hard pressed to give them my money (I generally am anyway of those two). They also risk being out of compliance with the FTC's rules.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I got tired of replacing my Mech' fuel pumps every 8-12 months and went to Holley Electric. I've had them for 3 years now without any issues.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

I had a pump from autozone plastic one $50
On mine before battery cable caught my wiring harness on fire it ran no problems with it for the 1.5 years I was driving it and beating it up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk