Is my 327 running too hot ?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
tara

Is my 327 running too hot ?

Post by tara »

Hi
As you advise me i have installed a thermostat in my engine, the weather is actually really hot and temp gauge is showing that engine is running quite hot
What do you think ?
Thànks
Tara

ImageIMG_8853(1) by Simon Hiquily, sur Flickr
Jeep Wagoneer 1965 4dr 327

fulsizjeep

Re: Is my 327 running too hot ?

Post by fulsizjeep »

tara wrote:Hi
As you advise me i have installed a thermostat in my engine, the weather is actually really hot and temp gauge is showing that engine is running quite hot
What do you think ?
Thànks
Tara

ImageIMG_8853(1) by Simon Hiquily, sur Flickr
It's possible the thermostat was taken out because it ran too hot. I have done that before.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

it was already running too hot when there was no thermostat, it was even worse.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

I would say there are issues with the cooling system. When I drove a 327, it had rust issues inside the cooling passages. I had to flush the engine out 2 or 3 times a year to keep it flowing proper. There is a drain plug on each side of the block. I would pull those and ram a coat hanger in there to get it to drain the gunk that built up inside.
Flint Boardman

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

fulsizjeep wrote:I would say there are issues with the cooling system. When I drove a 327, it had rust issues inside the cooling passages. I had to flush the engine out 2 or 3 times a year to keep it flowing proper. There is a drain plug on each side of the block. I would pull those and ram a coat hanger in there to get it to drain the gunk that built up inside.
thank you, i m gonna take care of this

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

As it turns out, the 327 I had sat in a wrecking yard for a couple years before it went in my car. It may have been poorly maintained. About the only way to really clean deep rust out of cooling chambers in the engine is to dip the block. Even then it may not fully clean it out. Every time mine started running too hot, the plug holes in the side of the block were plugged up and I would flush it.

It is possible you have other issues like a radiator that is plugged up. Has that been replaced in the last few years?
Flint Boardman

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

the radiator is new, but yes, there must be some dirts in chambers, cos when i installed the thermostat i noticed a lot of big parts of rust in the engine. i m gonna flush it asap. i remenber too that when i installed the thermostat, the first week the temperature of the car was perfect even stucked in the traffic at noon

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

I'd use the two part flush if you can find it. Contains a oxalic acid powder and a neutralizer.

Or maybe you can find oxalic acid at a hardware store for bleaching wood. Amazon prolly has it. Baking soda can be used to neutralize it once it's flused out. Then a final rinse to remove the baking soda.

Oxalic acid reduces rust back to iron. In doing so it shrinks and is more likely to loosen up and be flushed out.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

I don’t think a coolant flush is a bad idea. When I had mine out I replaced the freeze plugs as well. the block was full of casting sand and bits of rust chunks.

That being said, I don’t think your gauge is showing it’s running hot unless you’re getting signs of overheating. Mine sits at the same spot when warmed up and it’s never puked coolant. It runs great.

The temp gauge in these early FSJs doesn’t tell you much. Just like the oil pressure - you get a light telling you when there is none, but if the light isn’t one it doesn’t necessarily mean you have good oil pressure.

Maybe you should install an actual temp gauge and see where you’re at. That was my plan just for the sake of knowing, but haven’t gotten around to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

44bz wrote:I don’t think a coolant flush is a bad idea. When I had mine out I replaced the freeze plugs as well. the block was full of casting sand and bits of rust chunks.

That being said, I don’t think your gauge is showing it’s running hot unless you’re getting signs of overheating. Mine sits at the same spot when warmed up and it’s never puked coolant. It runs great.

The temp gauge in these early FSJs doesn’t tell you much. Just like the oil pressure - you get a light telling you when there is none, but if the light isn’t one it doesn’t necessarily mean you have good oil pressure.

Maybe you should install an actual temp gauge and see where you’re at. That was my plan just for the sake of knowing, but haven’t gotten around to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
interesting, may it is not so hot cos no coolant is puked out the radiator as far as i can noticed when the car is fully warmed. but will check for rust chunks in the block
thanks

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

I've had several old V-8s whose coolant passages around the cylinders were completely filled with rust flakes. A good flush with scraping will likely fix the issue. You also might see about getting a laser/infrared temperature gauge to confirm the temps at the block, heads, intake crossover and radiator. Your gauge may be reading high.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

Tatsadasayago wrote:I've had several old V-8s whose coolant passages around the cylinders were completely filled with rust flakes. A good flush with scraping will likely fix the issue. You also might see about getting a laser/infrared temperature gauge to confirm the temps at the block, heads, intake crossover and radiator. Your gauge may be reading high.
thanks, what readings should i have at block, heads, intake crossover and radiator ?

letank

Post by letank »

tara wrote:
Tatsadasayago wrote:I've had several old V-8s whose coolant passages around the cylinders were completely filled with rust flakes. A good flush with scraping will likely fix the issue. You also might see about getting a laser/infrared temperature gauge to confirm the temps at the block, heads, intake crossover and radiator. Your gauge may be reading high.
thanks, what readings should i have at block, heads, intake crossover and radiator ?
The inflow and outflow at the radiator, ideally 195F on the top hose or at the thermostat housing, and depending on outside temp the ouput of the radiator back to the engine should be a good 40F degrees drop, and as much as 70F, so around 150F to 160F

The oil pan temp will be around 20 higher than the coolant, so 225F is about right on a 70F day -when I measured mine years ago-

If you turn the heater on at full speed does the temp gauge goes down?

as said above our gauges are inacurrate , but they give you an idea of what is happening -most of the time-

So check the grounds or add grounds
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

letank wrote:
tara wrote:
The inflow and outflow at the radiator, ideally 195F on the top hose or at the thermostat housing, and depending on outside temp the ouput of the radiator back to the engine should be a good 40F degrees drop, and as much as 70F, so around 150F to 160F

The oil pan temp will be around 20 higher than the coolant, so 225F is about right on a 70F day -when I measured mine years ago-

If you turn the heater on at full speed does the temp gauge goes down?

as said above our gauges are inacurrate , but they give you an idea of what is happening -most of the time-

So check the grounds or add grounds
THANKS, WILL CHECK THAT ASAP

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Its also very possible the sending unit or gauge itself are wrong. I agree with the comment suggesting to use a laser temp gun.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

hi, those are the results of the laser temp gun measures :

oil pan 215
top hose 195
low hose 200

and the gauge on the dash is close to the max temp, but no spits of cooling fluid

BCRAWLER

Post by BCRAWLER »

Sorry but cannot understand why lower hotter. As I understand water from block enters from the top and is cooled as it flows down the rad. Is the pump turning in the right direction?
1980 Cherokee,360/727/208, propane powered,unknown lift,31' Adventuro's on Chevy rims,Warn winch
1980 J10,360/standard/208, stepside
1970 GMC 4X4 Pickup, 78 frame, 84 350, Turbo 350/205, patina galore
1986 Blazer K5, 350/205/465 trans
1990 Cherokee XJ, about to scrap for FSJ parts, gone to parts graveyard in sky

Topic author
tara

Post by tara »

BCRAWLER wrote:Sorry but cannot understand why lower hotter. As I understand water from block enters from the top and is cooled as it flows down the rad. Is the pump turning in the right direction?
damn true, i don't understand whats going on !

letank

Post by letank »

tara wrote:
BCRAWLER wrote:Sorry but cannot understand why lower hotter. As I understand water from block enters from the top and is cooled as it flows down the rad. Is the pump turning in the right direction?
damn true, i don't understand whats going on !
If the surface of measurement is not even, such as rust, it can give weird numbers, but we are on rubber hoses, I had issues on the thermostat housing area, but was getting lower number than the top of the radiator.

Try with a cooking thermometer stuck between the finns, or go to a mechanical temp gauge.

At least is oil is in the right range, usually between 15 and 20 over the coolant temp, remember that the oil is the important factor, the oil cools the bearings, rings and any metal interface.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)