Stiff door lock

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Stiff door lock

Post by Charles Kline »

The Driver door lock on the Honcho is so tough to turn its starting to bend my key. I've not pulled the door panel yet to take a look at it but what usally causes that? gunked up pivot points or slides on the rod or at the latch?

Thanks,

-Charles

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Stiff door lock

Post by Stuka »

If you have some silicone spray, spray it inside the lock, and if you feel like pulling your inner door cover off, you can spray the other side of the mechanism.

Also check for wear on any of the moving parts. If they get too worn, they start to grab each other.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Mine are like this too. I am waiting till I can get the wood I need to replace the panels,then clean and lube the locks, window channels the works then put it back together :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Stuka wrote:If you have some silicone spray, spray it inside the lock, and if you feel like pulling your inner door cover off, you can spray the other side of the mechanism.

Also check for wear on any of the moving parts. If they get too worn, they start to grab each other.
Thanks Stuka,

It’s seems like it’s more than just a tight lock cylinder and I thought I had seen a discussion about it somewhere.

When we get better weather I plan on doing same as Howard and just clean and lube everything.

amstelbier

Post by amstelbier »

Or WD40....
Jeep Wagoneer 1979 V8 AMC 360 quadratrac, Soestdijk Holland

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

amstelbier wrote:Or WD40....
WD-40 is not a lubricant. Its a water disperser (Which is what the WD stands for). It can lubricate, but that is not its intended purpose. Something like silicone spray or MM Oil is much better.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

az chip

Post by az chip »

I have the same issue on my passenger door. Still trying to figure it out. Are yours electric locks?
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

I had some luck with this while I had my doors completely apart when working on my window channels. I could not see how to separate what I would describe as a pivoting steel plate from the lock body since (from what I remember) it was riveted together. It was not the type of rivet you drill out and simply replace with a POP rivet gun. On my truck, this is the area that wasn't moving freely. I worked the lock up and down while trying to get Sil-glyde in-between those parts and it definitely helped. It's not perfect, and I still approach this lock with caution, but I can use my key now without feeling like it's going to bend or break.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

az chip wrote:I have the same issue on my passenger door. Still trying to figure it out. Are yours electric locks?
Nope, manual everything on the 79.