Wood Kit Availability

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
mhubbard

Wood Kit Availability

Post by mhubbard »

So, this is a bit of a sequel to my earlier thread regarding the accident I had in my 89 GW about a month ago...

Is it possible to buy one single factory-fit (cut to fit) replacement wood panel for a front fender? The reason I ask this is not because I want one single panel.... but because the body shop said that if they can ONLY buy it as a kit (meaning they cannot find it in individual panel form) then the insurance company is on the hook for the whole thing. Obviously, I would prefer the whole kit. I have yet to see a single cut-to-fit replacement panel nowadays. I am sure they were common back when these things were new or nearly new. Seems that I recall reading on this forum or somewhere else that it is pretty much impossible to find individual wood panels.

With this said... and I may be opening up a can of worms here... but can I get a quick opinion (hahaha) on who makes the best replacement wood trim and panel kits? I know TGW has them.... but is that the best kit for the money out there?

Thanks!

HowardT64

Re: Wood Kit Availability

Post by HowardT64 »

I dont know if this will be of any help...When I get to where I can restore the paint on my Wag, I am going to removes all of the "woodgrain" adhesive and clean the surface completely. Once that is done, mind you the trim is off, I am going to paint the wood back on. Instead of the wood grain, I am going to make a template and make a realtree design and paint it on :) Ill recondition the "trim" and put it back on.

this is a ways down the road yet, got lots of important stuff to do yet... :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

mlaver

Post by mlaver »

Even if you could get an OEM single panel I doubt you could get a correct color match, your 30 year old vinyl will have faded considerably over the years. I am in the sign business and made a file for my J10 and printed my own, made it look similar to a Pioneer.
L.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

This is the best thread I've seen on the subject, with photos: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=145609
1984 GW

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

HowardT64 wrote:I dont know if this will be of any help...When I get to where I can restore the paint on my Wag, I am going to removes all of the "woodgrain" adhesive and clean the surface completely. Once that is done, mind you the trim is off, I am going to paint the wood back on. Instead of the wood grain, I am going to make a template and make a realtree design and paint it on :) Ill recondition the "trim" and put it back on.

No offense but for your Wag's sake I hope it takes a long time for you to get to that point. :lol:
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

SJTD wrote:
HowardT64 wrote:I dont know if this will be of any help...When I get to where I can restore the paint on my Wag, I am going to removes all of the "woodgrain" adhesive and clean the surface completely. Once that is done, mind you the trim is off, I am going to paint the wood back on. Instead of the wood grain, I am going to make a template and make a realtree design and paint it on :) Ill recondition the "trim" and put it back on.

No offense but for your Wag's sake I hope it takes a long time for you to get to that point. :lol:

I am in no hurry to get to the paint job :) Lots to do first :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"