Reliability when it comes to carbs and computers..

Area for General FSJ related chat.

az chip

Re: Reliability when it comes to carbs and computers..

Post by az chip »

A new 2012 rental Corolla saved me and my daughter when hit by a drunk driver. He was going 80-90 I was at 50 and entering the freeway. Lots of airbags stopped my head from hitting the asphalt when we rolled over through a chain link fence onto a frontage road. I don't mind modern tech.
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

will e

Post by will e »

Shagoneer wrote:
will e wrote:There is a difference between a new car, engineered from the start with EFI and with a planned warrenty compared to an after market add on EFI.
The car manufactures have lots of data on the failure points and can address them with new connections, better mounting, etc. They also bear the cost of failure with the warrenty.
An aftermarket EFI system, while well engineered, does not have the same advantage. Each installation is unique. They also don't have to deal with multi year bumper to bumper or 'drive train' warrenties.
But whats the difference between upgrading to a holley TBI unit, and upgrading to a holley TA which A TON of people on the board have done?
Each Carb install is just as unique as each TBI install and very few of us have had any issues (other than tuning) related to slapping a Holley/edelbrock in place of our original motorcraft
Having done both the TA upgrade is more straight forward than a TBI. I have spent less time tuning my TA than I did my Holley TBI.
It's hard to beat the reliability of a carb. They don't usually just stop working, they wear out over time. While TBI has advantages over a carb I think the carb wins out on reliability when both are installed 'after market'.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

ghcoe wrote:Well electronics are a double edged sword. Great when they work and right, and a pain when they don't. Sure solid state sensors should work right for years, it's the wiring that will get you.

What I don't like about modern cars the most is the terrible interiors. They just look and feel cheap .

Thats what i noticed too. Obviously they are modern looking and look nice at first.. But damn they are really cheap and the seats all hurt.. The camaro we have the seats were really uncomfortable and hard. We swapped em for racing seats anyway.. We test drove a grand cherokee trailhawk and i didnt like its seats either.

The headliners in newer cars are weird as well not the soft fabric im used too. More like some weird cheao fabric.. But im sure its some kind of fabric thays easier to clean vs actual foam and cloth.

I think they make seats stiffer and hard for safety or for better posture i dunno.. but i lile the soft seats of the wagoneer. and my ZJ has really soft seats.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Tatsadasayago wrote:... I would prefer to go behind the wheel of an FSJ, or at the hands of a jealous husband :P
LOL!!!!
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

fxtechphx

Post by fxtechphx »

When we bought my wife's brand new Mazda the told us that it has 100 different computers and over 1500 different sensors. Those numbers may be inflated but still makes me realize how every single thing on a modern car is controlled by a code. When my Jeep doesn't start, it's spark or fuel
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

440sixpack

Post by 440sixpack »

There is nothing more reliable than a well maintained carb and breaker point ignition.

With EFI and electronic ignition you gain in many many ways . but not reliability .

levelhead

Post by levelhead »

440 is bang on. The key word here is soft failure. If carb starts giving you problems you probably have a week or so to fix the problem. You will get home. The same with points/cond. ignition. Your rig starts acting up and the points are starting to burn you can probably make it home if not pull a points file or sand paper out of the glove box , file and set the points with a credit card and away you go. Rarely are you left at the side of the road. This is soft failure. Fuel injection/electronic this and that and your sitting there scratching your head and reaching for a phone...hard failure.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Meh. This is a pointless thread. People simply will choose the criteria and metrics to confirm the superiority of what they already have an emotional investment in, or what they already understand, or are willing to understand. It's a Ford v Chevy debate - arguments will go on endlessly and no one's mind will be changed.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.