Cheap-O rear helper springs

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Cheap-O rear helper springs

Post by Nikkormat »

I'm going to be towing a u haul trailer with another wagoneer on it up to MT when I head back (talk about a long slow drive!) so I'm on the hunt for options to make the rear end of the 90 a little stiffer on the cheap. AKA I don't want to spend $80 on air shocks.

Has anyone used some of those overleaf (or underleaf) universal rear helper springs vatozone and advance sell? Do they really do much to stiffen things up?

What about the old farmer fix of sticking a wedge between the overload leaf and the main spring pack, and then clamping the whole mess in place? Will that just be asking to break stuff? I could get a couple of felling wedges and some trailer leaf spring clamps for less than $30...

Any better ideas under $50?
Gabe, "reformed" Jeep hoarder.

fulsizjeep

Re: Cheap-O rear helper springs

Post by fulsizjeep »

I have used leaf and coil helpers in the past and would recommend leaf for towing the load you are talking about.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/aut ... 10053619-P
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Go to the salavage yard and get a set of 2.5" wide springs and add some of those leafs as helpers. However, now your investing a lot of Time and labor and it would have been cheaper to purchase the Air Shocks. Plus, the air shocks can be adjusted as the demands change a lot easier than adding/removing the helper springs.

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

fulsizjeep wrote:I have used leaf and coil helpers in the past and would recommend leaf for towing the load you are talking about.

I've heard you're a fella who has experience in the wag-wag-uhaul department Flint. How balanced of a load is it in your opinion?

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Nikkormat wrote:
fulsizjeep wrote:I have used leaf and coil helpers in the past and would recommend leaf for towing the load you are talking about.

I've heard you're a fella who has experience in the wag-wag-uhaul department Flint. How balanced of a load is it in your opinion?
You are going to get some squat in the backend. 50 is about tops, 40 on mountain grades. Take you time.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Flint Boardman

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

fulsizjeep wrote:
Nikkormat wrote:

You are going to get some squat in the backend. 50 is about tops, 40 on mountain grades. Take you time.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
10-4 That's what I figured. Planning lots of stops. Only pushing for about 350 miles a day. Will be a different experience than I'm used to, that's for sure!

babywag

Post by babywag »

I’ve done it as well...
It’s a poor combo, but like Flint said go slow and you’ll be ok.
Braking is second enemy, if folks cut in front of you + braking the pucker factor is high.
Bring some spare undies, you may need them :P
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Stock springs.
Flint Boardman

letank

Post by letank »

babywag wrote:I’ve done it as well...
It’s a poor combo, but like Flint said go slow and you’ll be ok.
Braking is second enemy, if folks cut in front of you + braking the pucker factor is high.
Bring some spare undies, you may need them :P
X2

Braking is really teeth grinding time.... even on road that I knew very well... basically I stepped on the brake pedal and nothing happened... sure it was downhill... but ...

A way to monitor your trany temp... in fact I did it in 40ish degrees temp, so when the floor started to fill warm, I pulled over... it took 30mins on a twisty mountain road... and yes I have an external trany radiator and 3.31 gearing...

you can also use the helper springs that go under which I have, but I bought it that way, curious about the differences with the upper version?
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

With a regular car trailer, we had more room to balance the trailer. There is not as much runway on the U-Haul.

Flint Boardman

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

The towed wagoneer may not have an engine. Which I imagine will help significantly.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

I know one guy on this forum is anal as hell when it comes to them... But i would suggest you use some gabriel load assist shocks.. I habe 4 of them on mine.. no issues.. even gave the Jeep is slightly 1.2 inch lift.. They keep the jeep at stock height up to 500 lbs in the cargo area or tow tongue weight. Im 270 lbs and when i sit on the tailgate the Jeep moves down maybe 1.4 inch with them on.. When before itd drop like 2 inchs
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by candymancan on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

candymancan wrote:I know one guy and this forum is anal as hell when it comes to them... But i would suggest you use some gabriel load assist shocks.. I habe 4 of them on mine.. no issues.. even gave the Jeep is slightly 1.2 inch lift.. They keep the jeep at stock height up to 500 lbs in the cargo area or tow tongue weight. Im 270 lbs and when i sit on the tailgate the Jeep moves down maybe 1.4 inch with them on.. When before itd drop like 2 inchs
Yeah but they're $80 a piece. And why would I add load to the shock mounts when I could do the smart thing on the springs cheaper?

Topic author
Nikkormat

Post by Nikkormat »

I really appreciate the help guys, but this trip just went bust. Whole lot of copper flakes in the oil filter tell me I'm not going to be towing a Jeep up there with me. I need to just fix the one that was being towed and drive the sucker.

FSJunkie

Post by FSJunkie »

An equalizer hitch, sway control, and adjustable electric trailer brakes are amazing devices and I've towed a Dodge Durango on a flatbed (~7500lbs) behind my Wagoneer with them. I was slow, but I tracked down the road well and stopped well. I was able to keep the trailer under control.

Unfortunately you can't use those devices on a UHAUL. I towed a 6'X12' box UHAUL (~4000 lbs) behind my Wagoneer once. You'll have to load it pretty tongue-heavy to keep it from swaying and all that weight will go to the rear wheels of your tow vehicle. The UHAUL has built-in hydraulic brakes that do an ok job.

You should realize that if you are putting enough weight on your rear wheels to bottom the axle against the bump stop with stock springs, then you are also overloading the axle beyond its designed maximum capacity. Higher rate or taller springs mask this problem, but you're still overloading the axle.

Not much you can do.
1972 Wagoneer: 360 2V, THM-400, D20, D30 closed knuckle, D44 Trac-lok 3.31.
1965 Rambler Ambassador: 327 4V, BW M-10 auto, AMC 20 3.15.
1973 AMC Ambassador: 360 4V, TC-727.
1966 AMC Marlin 327 4V, T-10 4 speed, AMC 20 Powr-lok 3.54.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Nikkormat wrote:
candymancan wrote:I know one guy and this forum is anal as hell when it comes to them... But i would suggest you use some gabriel load assist shocks.. I habe 4 of them on mine.. no issues.. even gave the Jeep is slightly 1.2 inch lift.. They keep the jeep at stock height up to 500 lbs in the cargo area or tow tongue weight. Im 270 lbs and when i sit on the tailgate the Jeep moves down maybe 1.4 inch with them on.. When before itd drop like 2 inchs
Yeah but they're $80 a piece. And why would I add load to the shock mounts when I could do the smart thing on the springs cheaper?

I dunno what website youre looking at but i bought 4 of em for 160$ with free shipping from autoanything.com
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Cecil14

Post by Cecil14 »

The helper springs mentioned above are $45, and locate the load in the correct spot.

aa
1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I would like to give mine a boost. At least until I can afford a whole new set of springs. I dont tow...just haul my carcass around. The springs on the Duck Blind are so worn...they are flat when on a lift. Would love to get some clearance between the tires and fenders. Maybe an add a leaf or what is being mentioned in this thread will help for now?
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"