Emission canister?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Bearman

Emission canister?

Post by Bearman »

Hello everyone, been researching for a replacement emission charcoal canister for my j10. I found that Standard CP 3045 is a good replacement. The problem they are not available anymore. I have read where others have used other replacement with good results and while some not having good results. Seems like every time a topic about these come up, it dies before a clear part# is given. Is a replacment canister still available today that will work with a v8 360? If so would anyone care to share a part #.
Also I’ll be in the need of fuel vapor seperator so a current part # would be welcome for it too. I’ve researched these parts for weeks and still haven’t found something that I feel confident in. In other words, don’t want to waste money on something that won’t work properly. I’ll be running stock 2150 carb and stock Intake with egr if this helps any. So thanks to anyone who is willing to shed some light on my situation. Your help is greatly appreciated.
81' jeep j10 restoring piece by piece

Topic author
Bearman

Re: Emission canister?

Post by Bearman »

Well I finally got a BWD cp3045 emission canister on the way from a auto parts supplier. I’ll believe it when it arrives though. It seems everything that crosses over to that part number is not available too.

On to my quest for a fuel vapor separator. I know its just a metal housing like a fuel filter and fuel filter will not work. I was wondering if a fuel vapor seperator for a early 70’s mopar would work? Like this one https://www.ebay.com/i/282602488266?chn ... 9261618172

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Just search for Fuel Filter for your Jeep. The pic should show the correct one. three nipples. Two on one end and one on the other.

Like this one:

https://www.autozone.com/filters-and-pc ... 830813_0_0
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

A fuel vapor separator is not a fuel filter. A fuel filter might work as a vapor separator; you could try it. The Mopar part should work too. The vapor separator is just a trap for any liquid fuel that escapes the float bowl. As I recall, the lines from the float bowl to the canister are 3/8" ID, and the Jeep fuel filter is 5/16", so it won't fit as well as the original separator.

I'd just seek out a replacement separator. Advertise here and at IFSJA on the WTB forum. You should be able to find one. There's nothing in the separator except a chamber and an orifice, so they don't wear out. You'll also need the vent solenoid, for that plumbing to work right.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Bearman

Post by Bearman »

Thanks for your feedback. I was going to post in the wanted section and then found these that a member recommended on the IFSJA forum.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-TWO-IN-LI ... 3107875024

I know they say fuel filter. He said that he bought one from an AMC vender that looked just like the ones on eBay. For under 15 bucks I was willing to take a chance. At least they are blue. Hehehe...

I never did think I would see the day that I would be looking for emission parts for my j10. From what I gather, without some of these parts the engine may not perform at optimal performance.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

"To Canister" says it's a vapor separator. Looks like the inlet and outlet are 3/8" diam, but hard to tell from the picture. Yep, for $15 shipping included, excellent.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Bearman

Post by Bearman »

I received the separators yesterday. They look like the real deal with even an amc logo on it. They also have a restrictive air flow compared to a fuel filter I have lying around. The seller few left so maybe this post will help someone in search of one.

deckroid

Post by deckroid »

I rebuilt mine with aquarium carbon and epoxy to put it all back together. I have the link somewhere... when I get home I can look.
1984 Grand Wagoneer. V8 360 stock. Mostly original. Repainted 2018 with original Nordic Green Metallic (Flake).

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Bearman wrote:Well I finally got a BWD cp3045 emission canister on the way from a auto parts supplier. I’ll believe it when it arrives though. It seems everything that crosses over to that part number is not available too.
- Please let us know if you get the CP3045 and if it fits. I am trying to help a friend find one for his 82 Limited. He wants to keep it smog legal because he may end up in CA if work opportunities go his way. Thanks -
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
Bearman

Post by Bearman »

I’ll be happy to report back when or if it arrives. I ordered it from Amazon, said delivery would be Jan. 22nd 2018. From everything I could find. The CP3045 will work. The CP1061 which looks to be the same as the CP3045, listed for 93-up Grand Cherokee. I could not find it either. It was not even available on Amazon. I don’t know what or if any connections Amazon has. Maybe they will come through. In the mean time I’m still looking for any left out there. If I find any I’ll let y’all know.

letank

Post by letank »

Bearman wrote:I’ll be happy to report back when or if it arrives. I ordered it from Amazon, said delivery would be Jan. 22nd 2018. From everything I could find. The CP3045 will work. The CP1061 which looks to be the same as the CP3045, listed for 93-up Grand Cherokee. I could not find it either. It was not even available on Amazon. I don’t know what or if any connections Amazon has. Maybe they will come through. In the mean time I’m still looking for any left out there. If I find any I’ll let y’all know.
subscribed. The pict that I found for CP3045 showed a different layout, here is the linky

http://www.myautopartswholesale.com/cat ... cts/cp3045

or

Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Bearman

Post by Bearman »

That’s the same pic that I come up with for cp3045. I didn’t an old canister to compare to, just going on what I have read. I checked Amazon again, they say out of stock for the cp3045. I hope mine is still due to be shipped in Jan. I haven’t heard any different. Funny thing,I found nos vapor separator. You would think they would more difficult to get then the canisters.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

That looks like the canister I used for my J20.

We've been through this before, and I recall I came up with a couple of other configurations that would work. IIRC I found a round Chevy canister, but the purge valve is not part of the unit. You would need to have both units to make it work. Maybe a Standard CP1020 and CP106? Looks to me like these are used with TBI and have no bowl vent connection, but you could tee in the bowl vent to one of the other lines.

Just follow this http://www.heritech.org/wagoneer/mggw4.html except there is only one line going to above the charcoal bed, and one from the tank.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Never understood why they use charcoal... Chatcoal.carbon exhausts very wuickly.. months at most.. Use it for aquariums to remove medication from the water but after a month or two its exhausted... So not sure why they used it in cars lol
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)