Electric Fuel pump?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Lumpskie

Re: Electric Fuel pump?

Post by Lumpskie »

ShagWagon wrote:Novak sells a drop in in-tank Delphi that's good to go with new sending unit. $234 if I recall for a hi pressure unit.

You can build your own for about $100 or less if your low pressure.
So... my Holley Red looks like it's dead.

My wife called me, stranded in a parking lot. She could tell that the pump wasn't running by listening. (I actually liked that the Holley was loud just for this reason.) I thought it might be electrical so I ran a power and ground straight from the battery to it. No luck. At this point, I want something more reliable. I checked the Novak site and I don't see anything listed for carb'd engines.

What do you guys suggest for fuel pumps these days? The best performance I've gotten is from my Holley Red and I think that lasted 2 or 3 years.

EDIT: Found this on BJ's... is this the novak setup?

http://www.bjsoffroad.com/Gen-III-LS-In ... _1953.html
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Called BJs. They said I could use the LS in-tank pump setup with an external regulator. Are any of you guys running something similar? Have suggestions on a regulator? Do you think in-tank is worth it?
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I dont like the idea of a pump producing 60 psi and then regulating it back down to 6psi. That is a lot of wasted energy. Plus, how accurate will the regulator be turned almost off?

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

It looks like one of the POs of my 1970 Wagoneer installed a Facet cube style 12v electric pump. They have a whole range of them with pressures ranging from 1psi all the way up to 11.5psi. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group ... ACET12CUBE

This one is 4.5-6psi max pressure https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... RecID=8706

Maybe one of them will be an option for your GW?
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

ShagWagon

Post by ShagWagon »

They do hav3 low pressure electric in tank fuel pumps that can be rigged onto any sending unit if you choose not to use a regulator. Those BJ sells are made for higher presser FI systems. Carbs use 5-8 psi, fitech Holley bolt on FI use 58, GM TBI uses around 25psi iirc.

Either way I’d go intank because it’s quieter and runs cool because it’s submerged in liquid. Should last longer if cooler.
87 Grand Wagoneer Rebuilt 360 by S&J, Fitech GO EFI 600, Novak in-tank fuel pump, Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift, BFG AT KO2 30", Dynamax Muffler, MSD distributor, MSD ignition, Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake, Elgin perf cam, Oil tube mod, Roller rockers, chrome molly lifters, HD alum radiator, Powermaster 150/100 alt, Alum HD water pump, Serhills tailgate harness, Cowl screen mod, Evil Twin grab handles, Rstep's custom AMC door lock knobs, all electrical works.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Yes, carburetors use very low pressure fuel delivery compared to EFI. The TSM specs 4-5 psi for the 6s, and 5-6.5 for the V8s. Even this is too much for some carburetors, like the aftermarket Holley-Webers. A carburetor will run just fine from siphon pressure of a gas can sitting on the cowl.

The in-tank pump may seem like a good idea, but I would just get another fuel pump like the red Holley intended for carburetor use. You can't condemn them based on a sample size of one. Switch brands if the Holley offends you now.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It sounds like I need to do more research before going to an in-tank setup. Long term, I am going to buy a new sending unit (I need one anyway) and I'll research in-tank low pressure pumps more. Short term, I bought another Holley Red and I'll use that to get me back on the road quickly. I'll update this thread if I come up with something else I want to try.

Thanks again.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

I run an in tank on mine. Here is my thread: http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... mp#p143500

Note that my sender (pre 86) is a bit different than yours in the way the float arm is attached, making this install more straightforward for me. Still, you could probably mod yours to work easy enough. No issues with mine thus far. Replacement would be easy since you can do it from the access panel.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD

kansasboy001

Post by kansasboy001 »

For the 86+ sending unit its a little more difficult. What you have to do is remove the 1/4 return line from the sending unit. Drill a larger hole and install a barbed fitting on both sides. Use some type of fuel safe semi bendable tubing such as nylon tubing or polyethylene. You will have to lower the fuel pump into the tank with the nylon tubing attached to the pump. Hanging the pump by its wires. Then you work the sending unit into the tank and connect the tube to the barb in the sending unit and don't forget to clamp. You have to do this because due to the design of the 1986+ sending unit and the size of the hole in our tank you can't fit both parts in at the same time.
1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition