Special Edition Wagoneer??

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
browndog314

Special Edition Wagoneer??

Post by browndog314 »

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1974 Wagoneer. The owner says that it is a special edition, and has a 426 Hemi, and 3 ton armor plating. I have researched this to some degree, but have been unable to find such an animal. Is there such a thing as "special edition" with these options?? (it looks like one of the wagoneers driven by the U.N. featured at the beginning of Close Encounters of the Third Kind)!! Thanks!! Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

gladiatorjoe

Re: Special Edition Wagoneer??

Post by gladiatorjoe »

I don’t know about the armor but Chrysler quit producing the 426 hemi in 1971 and never installed factory ones in Wagoneer’s. I would check to make sure he knows what he is talking about, a lot of people call engines hemis when they don’t know.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

3 ton armor plating?! Sounds like a tank...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

If it was up-armored, it was done aftermarket. Since these were luxury vehicles, it is not too surprising some companies might have offered an armor package.

Bigger engine could have been part of the package.
If it is additional 6000# of armor, or even if 2000#, bringing the total weight up to 6000#, I assume 3/4 or 1-ton axles and some significant brake upgrades were also part of the package.

Or, someone could have simply welded a bunch of steel plates all over it.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)