Adding a catalytic converter to a system that didn't have one?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
loganobrien121

Adding a catalytic converter to a system that didn't have one?

Post by loganobrien121 »

Hey guys,

So my exhaust is all rusted through. I'm going to be putting a new one on next week and I had an idea: could you theoretically add a catalytic converter to cut down on CO? Would there be any performance issues related to that? I don't have an AIR pump but is there any work around?

I have a dog and she likes the window down but I don't know how I feel about creative a vortex of CO funneling into the truck right where she sits/breathes.

Thanks!
"Betty Blue"
'71 Wag
Buick 350/TH400/D20

"The Bride of Frankenstein"
Green and some uh rust... color...
'73 Wagoneer.
360/TH400

RamJetFSJ

Re: Adding a catalytic converter to a system that didn't have one?

Post by RamJetFSJ »

I dont think so, but I could be wrong. I thought of doing the same thing on my Ram Jet 350 PFI crate motor car to make it safer for the kiddos while cruising around w/ the back window open.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

montanablueSJ

Post by montanablueSJ »

The AIR pump is not necessary if you have a cat, you can run one just fine without it. In fact, lines from pump to the cat were added later (earlier models pumped air into manifolds only, and models before that only had cat and no air pump). The AIR pump does make a difference in terms of emissions, but I don't have numbers on exactly how big of a difference the AIR pump makes. It would seem like a big hassle to retrofit an engine that doesn't have the bracketry to accommodate one, but you should have no problem simply fitting a cat to your exhaust system. Especially with today's modern high-flow cats, there won't be a large horsepower loss.
1981 Cherokee 2-door -- 360 V8 -- T-176 -- NP-208 -- Dana 44 + AMC 20 -- Narrow track, base model

FSJ Guy

Post by FSJ Guy »

Adding a cat will not reduce CO to amounts that are safe. If you roll the rear window down, you want the side windows open as well so that air is flowing OUT of the rear window, and not coming back in.

Adding a cat WILL make the exhaust smell better and less toxic, but it is still toxic and should be avoided.
Ethan Brady

http://www.bigscaryjeep.com

Jeepless, but I still have a lots of old parts in my garage!

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

FSJ Guy wrote:Adding a cat will not reduce CO to amounts that are safe. If you roll the rear window down, you want the side windows open as well so that air is flowing OUT of the rear window, and not coming back in.

Adding a cat WILL make the exhaust smell better and less toxic, but it is still toxic and should be avoided.
Good to know!
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

babywag

Post by babywag »

FSJ Guy wrote:Adding a cat will not reduce CO to amounts that are safe. If you roll the rear window down, you want the side windows open as well so that air is flowing OUT of the rear window, and not coming back in.

CO is nasty AND dangerous! I was working in a shop and everyone started complaining of feeling sick, headache, tired, etc.
I felt just freakin' awful that day!
Gas company came out and they found a heater pumping out too much CO, red tagged it and shut us down.
We all got a vacation for a day & half.

I sure wouldn't subject my dog to breathing ANY vehicle exhaust, regardless of how much he likes an open window!
Not like they can say hey, I feel kinda funny/sick.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)