Restoring steering wheel?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
loganobrien121

Restoring steering wheel?

Post by loganobrien121 »

While I wait for parts to arrive I thought I'd start poking around at the interior and seeing what I can tackle. My steering wheel is in pretty worn shape and I'd like to get it back to it's blue glory.

Only thing, no idea how you even restore them. Is it vinyl paint? Is it some dipping process? Looked around and didn't find too much for these old wheels. Which probably means that it's either stupidly easy or stupidly hard.

So what're your tricks? I found someone who restores them (http://www.steeringwheelbob.com/) but he's pretty expensive and sounds like he goes above and beyond what I'm looking for - I just want to get it back to blue because right now, it's grimy and black. Not a good look.

Thanks!
"Betty Blue"
'71 Wag
Buick 350/TH400/D20

"The Bride of Frankenstein"
Green and some uh rust... color...
'73 Wagoneer.
360/TH400

REDONE

Re: Restoring steering wheel?

Post by REDONE »

Without seeing what it looks like, just the description of "grimey and black" , I say attack it with saddle soap and elbow grease! If it's gooey and nasty, it's probably a build up of the oils and dirt from decades of hands sweating on it.
Honestly, I'd go at it with armor-all, but there's a lot of fuddy duddies out there that think it makes it slippery and dangerous, which is why I suggest saddle soap first.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

This is not something that's specific to Wagoneers. Lots of classic cars have cracked and worn steering wheels - plenty of online resources. http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/index.ph ... air.82652/

If it's not cracked, just clean it. I'd start with soap and a plastic scrubbie or fingernail brush.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

If it's grimy, you can use Go-Jo or other non-pumice hand cleaner. It will clean all that gunk off in a hurry. It also works great on plug wires :)
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

mhubbard

Post by mhubbard »

I had good luck with using Mr Clean Magic Eraser on the pad... and I re-skinned the wheel. $15 end to end.