Dash lights

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
HowardT64

Dash lights

Post by HowardT64 »

Been thinking of converting my gauge lights on my dash from stock to red. Does anyone know of a part number that I could use as a cross reference? Going to convert my floor lights and overhear lights as well so that they are red, easier on the eyes... :shock:
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Re: Dash lights

Post by HowardT64 »

This is what I found, look about right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-T5-74-70-7 ... #vi-ilComp
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Or perhaps I should use blue..since the Wag is a "Bluish" color...
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

You should be able to cross reference them all on super bright leds website. Link below should take you straight to it.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle ... &year=1990
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Red has been shown in psychological studies to have a negative effect on the human brain. We perceive red as bad or negative and it strains the eyes. Blue was found to be the easiest color on the eyes and brain because we evolved with blue skies. It has a calming effect

I've never liked red dash lights and i agree its harder on the eyes. a blue would be nice just dont turn the dimmer up all the way. I will tell you first hand though.. Red Dome and Blue Dome lights are not bright enough for an interior. My brothers 13 camaro he has leds where foot pedals are and changed his dome lights to blue... and when i turn the dome lights on i couldnt see jack shiat inside the car... Granted those new camaros have piss poor interior lighting to begin with.

I actually wired in a little led light bar for my interior lights. It makes the entire Jeep inside lit up and the existing dome lights you cant even tell they are on.. I prefer the brighter white LED and it has a velco pad and sticky back and i stuck it on the center brace for the headliner so it isnt in my eyes when i drive. No longer need a flash light to see inside the Jeep at night with those old dome lights

Also which car is this for ?

If you have eye problems might i suggest you wire up a auto dimming rear view mirror ? Your 90 has the wiring for the console. So there are wires for the keyed ignition switch and everything already up there. I wired a auto dimming mirror from the 96-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee's on my 90. It fits right into the existing mount on windshield too. You need to wire up two wires.. Its very easy.. If youre interested i have a spare dimming mirror and can show you the pics of how to wire it
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Topic author
HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

This will go on my 90 Grand Wag...but right now its a want not a need so It goes on the back burner. Just an idea I have been tossing around.
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

On my '77 and '82, the blue light for the heater controls comes from blue plastic condoms that go over the bulbs. I should have taken the opportunity to replace them with LEDs - they are a conventional bayonet base like the 1829, and other bulbs in the panel are wedge base like the 194. If you go to superbrightLEDs.com they will have lots of colors and intensities with those bases - take your pick.

I recall riding a Kawasaki street bike and the instruments were red. I believe the reasoning is that red light affects your night vision the least, and you can have the panel lights way up and still see out ahead of you. Certainly blue or white or especially green would be the most calming, but maybe not the best for vision.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

dodgerammit

Post by dodgerammit »

candymancan wrote:Red has been shown in psychological studies to have a negative effect on the human brain. We perceive red as bad or negative and it strains the eyes. Blue was found to be the easiest color on the eyes and brain because we evolved with blue skies. It has a calming effect

I've never liked red dash lights and i agree its harder on the eyes. a blue would be nice just dont turn the dimmer up all the way. I will tell you first hand though.. Red Dome and Blue Dome lights are not bright enough for an interior. My brothers 13 camaro he has leds where foot pedals are and changed his dome lights to blue... and when i turn the dome lights on i couldnt see jack shiat inside the car... Granted those new camaros have piss poor interior lighting to begin with.

I actually wired in a little led light bar for my interior lights. It makes the entire Jeep inside lit up and the existing dome lights you cant even tell they are on.. I prefer the brighter white LED and it has a velco pad and sticky back and i stuck it on the center brace for the headliner so it isnt in my eyes when i drive. No longer need a flash light to see inside the Jeep at night with those old dome lights

Also which car is this for ?

If you have eye problems might i suggest you wire up a auto dimming rear view mirror ? Your 90 has the wiring for the console. So there are wires for the keyed ignition switch and everything already up there. I wired a auto dimming mirror from the 96-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee's on my 90. It fits right into the existing mount on windshield too. You need to wire up two wires.. Its very easy.. If youre interested i have a spare dimming mirror and can show you the pics of how to wire it

Actually, um no. Red is good for keeping your night vision intact. It is actually easier on your eyes. It is least stimulating to your cones (color vision receptors used during daylight) and most stimulating to your rods (night vision receptors). If it is bright, you have to dim them. Note, if you're going leds, you'll need a special dimmer for them. If you are color blind, red isn't as helpful.
84 Grand Waggy-Radio Flyer (Garnet Red/3M Ebony Metallic woodgrain, with honey interior) AMC 360 :cry: 2004 4.8LS/Advance Adapter/727/242 D44/AMC20 Serehill tailgate and headlight harnesses :fsj: Ongoing thread-viewtopic.php?t=11897

92 Wrangler Islander 4.0/32RH/231 D30/D35 RHD