Truck Headliner paint

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Truck Headliner paint

Post by Charles Kline »

The headliner in the Honcho has been shedding flakes of paint for years, its like an unending supply. I need to repaint it black to match Twister and am leaning towards just a exterior latex paint as I don't see spray painting the cardboard coming out very well.

Has anyone repainted their board headliner? What paint did you use?

Thanks,

-Charles

REDONE

Re: Truck Headliner paint

Post by REDONE »

I don't think you can get the old paint off without destroying the embossed grain, and you already know you can't paint over flaky paint. BUT, you could sand most of the old paint off, then glue black vinyl to it.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

I'm pretty sure I could get the rest of the paint of by rubbing my hand across it. A stiff bristle brush should be able to get into the texture without ruining it I would think.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Wire brush worled on mine to get off the foam.. So i dont see why it wouldnt woro for you just be gentle... Glue some black vinyl on it.. Get some weldwood gel and blob it on good so it soaks in the headliner and put some vinyl on it.

I did that to my 90.. Put a burgendy vinyl on both headliner boards using weldwood.. and its been holding good for a year.. Look really good too. If you have a joans fabrics there you can find coupons all the time and get it cheap
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I did mine a little while ago. I wiped off the flakes with a clean towel and then primed it with Lacquer Primer--it dries fast. Then used Vinyl paint for top coat. I sprayed the middle white and the sides black. It came out nice. I also took the opportunity to re-condition it. I laid it flat on the table and painted [roller] the back side with thinned out fiberglass resin. Try not to coat the seams because they have to bend. Also, I duct taped the seams and resin-d the tape but leaving the center of the tape that is over the seam clean. Doing this restored the stiff-ness to the board and water-proofed it.

Rod2

Post by Rod2 »

I did mine by painting the up side (against the tin) with water-based polyurethane; I bent the 'liner so the original upward, curved shape would be restored, and the 'urethane dried and held the shape and remains today probably 10 years after. I painted the exposed surface with water-based Zinsser 123 primer then with gloss latex (white), and it is still white. I didn't have any peeling paint nor texture to worry about, but my process would probably work on those conditions as well.
Last edited by Rod2 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'73 J4000 'WOOD GO' 360, 2100 MC, T-18, D-20, 60-2 rear, D-44 closed knuckle front with Warn lock-o-Matics, Eaton E-lockers both, Pertronix module, AC, PS, Hydro-boost, AirLift bags front and rear, 33x15 Goodyear MTR's, Pacer 15x8 aluminum Bullet Holes, Summit line lock, 3rd brake light, tilt column from '77 Firebird, 12000 MileMarker on cradle, hitch receiver on both ends

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Thank you Rod2, that’s exactly what I’m going to do, glad to hear it’s worked well for you.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Mine were bare. Took the front half out and painted it black and repainted the overhead console too. Ill try and get pics later :)
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"