Favorite Car cover?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Charles Kline

Favorite Car cover?

Post by Charles Kline »

With the leaves falling I want to put a cover on the Wagoneer to keep the leaves out of the cowl vent. I was just going to try to find a large SUV cover but thought I'd ask if anyone has found one they really like.

REDONE

Re: Favorite Car cover?

Post by REDONE »

Nope. I've tried a couple. The kind that are made out of that disposable hospital gown type material disintegrate after a week of sunshine. The more expensive type that's made from the polyester feeling material still only last one season before a random hole appears and then the hole turns into a tear when you try to remove it. If you can find a canvas one, that'd probably be the way to go, but from what I've seen, those are custom made ($$$) for everything but pony cars.

If you're shoes, I'd probably go with a regular tarp and a bunch of bungie cords to keep it in place.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

letank

Post by letank »

to keep the leaves out of the cowl vent, a cowl vent cover(s), 2 pieces custom cut with tin snips, et voila:

Version 2.0 has magnets on the edge , Hard disk magnets glued on top of the abs, the magnets are so strong, they bind the black abs plastic to the body, so the wind does not blow your cover around the block, when you think that some low life has stolen your covers.

This is the version with the central nozzle that sticks out of the cowl area.
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Thanks dudes,

Yeah and I could do the screen below the cowl thing, but I'm also trying to keep some sun out of the interior.

I was up at Menards in Cheyenne last weekend and they had a decent looking cover for $35 that I should have got. Seemed like it was a little better than the throwaway hospital gown material.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

I've had a gray polyester fabric cover on the CJ-6 for a few years now. I'm on my second one, after the first one ripped down the middle. I'd say go ahead and get a fabric one, but don't expect it to last more than a few years.

BTW I have one for my VW that is a generic cover that Costco was selling a few years ago. They came in sizes - small, medium, large - and it has been more durable than the custom fit covers for the CJ (I'm actually using a cover for a C104 Commando - a good fit). If you can get a generic cover for a pickup-sized vehicle, a few extra bungie cords and some lashing will help it to fit without flapping.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.