1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1975 Jeep Wagoneer
1968 Plymouth Satellite
1978 Camaro
1980 'Vette

the original honcho

Re: Tailgate up down glass switch

Post by the original honcho »

working on this makes me feel very ignorant, lol. the key switch in the back will lower the window but will not raise it. I'm thinking the way it is now it might be easier to go ahead and replace the switch in the back. do any of the McParts stores carry the switch, ?
Steve
Las Cruces, NM

1979 Jeep J-10 Honcho
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1975 Jeep Wagoneer
1968 Plymouth Satellite
1978 Camaro
1980 'Vette

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

There is 2 tan wires going to the switch and 2 brown wires. Just find the wires coming "out" of the harness and splice them together there. Changing that switch is a royal PITA because the the window and regulator all have to come out. Judging from your post this is probably something you don't want to attempt as it can be very frustrating.
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

the original honcho

Post by the original honcho »

My Dash Switch Stopped Working A Few Months Ago, IsThere AnyWay I Can Tell If Bypassing TheTailgateSwitch Will Make The Dash SwitchBWork?
Steve
Las Cruces, NM

1979 Jeep J-10 Honcho
1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1975 Jeep Wagoneer
1968 Plymouth Satellite
1978 Camaro
1980 'Vette

hideout62

Post by hideout62 »

My switch on the dash does not work either. I have bought a switch from a electrical supply place but I have not installed it yet. They said it was a "DOUBLE PULL DOUBLE THROW" what ever that means. I am leary of shorting something out. Does this make sense to anyone?
1977 chief w/t 360 th400
in the works with slow progress

Topic author
CherokeeCraig

Post by CherokeeCraig »

No you don't.
79 Cherokee
81 CJ-7
82 CJ-8 Scrambler

billyrb
Vendor

Post by billyrb »

here is the conversion kit we sell (uses your stock switch housing in the tailgate):
http://www.bjsoffroad.com/prod-1346.htm

For jumping the brown wires, that is for bypassing the safety switch. note that if you do this, and have the tailgate down, the glass will still be able to go in and out if someone hits the switch (and subsequently the glass will break)

For the dash switch, if the tailgate switch goes bad, the dash switch won't work until the in-tailgate switch is fixed / replaced.

You can test like this:
1. try dash switch with key on. If no work, go to next step. if works, smile.
2. try tailgate switch with key. if no work, go to next step. if works, dash switch bad.
3. climb in back, remove tailgate carpet panel and remove access cover. find two fat brown / tan wires, and jumper them together to the motor. if no work, go to next step. if works, tailgate safety switch on driver's side of tailgate is bad, replace or leave out of loop (not recommended).
4. disconnect tailgate motor power wires, jumper to battery using alligator clips. If no work, tailgate motor is bad. if works, in-tailgate switch is bad, replace.

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Billyrb I wish there was a way to thank you for this post. I am sure it will be helpful if I get the 79 Cherokee I am looking at, The current owner can't get the back window up.
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

sfriend

Post by sfriend »

Does anyone have a dash switch they want to part with? Mine is broken and I would like to keep it looking mostly original. The Cherokee Chief is 1978 but they all look the same.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff from Iowa

Post by Jeff from Iowa »

I used a viper remote start system and a add on module and made my rear window auto down and up. So I can one touch the button and it goes all the way up or all the way down. I can hit the button again to stop it if I want while in motion. If the window feels a little resistance on the way up it auto matically stops.

I can also lower it with my key fob.
90 Fsj. 5.3, 4l65,241. 4" lift, Custom valved Bilstien 5125 Shocks, Dakota Digital Dash, Bjs Radiator, Bjs aluminum tank,Viper remote start, power door locks, one touch rear window. Ac, Cruise, tow haul all work as they should. Fully restored oem wheels.

retire44

Post by retire44 »

My rear tailgate window switch went bad on my 91
Grand Wagoneer. I removed the switch and installed
a double pole double throw switch. Window works
fine with the rear switch, but dash switch won't work
now because of the wiring modification needed for
the dpdt switch. Will be fine until I finally buy a new
original switch for the rear.