Alternator no charging

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
Markstrimaran

Alternator no charging

Post by Markstrimaran »

Ok I am on alternator #3 in 5000 miles.
1988 GW, the current alternator will put out 13.7 volts, but with the plug removed, "two prong plug"? :banghead:
It will show a charge on the meter, until the lights are turned on, then zero.
Has any one had a charging problem similar?
The battery will hold a charge, I have a small solar panel on it.
I am going to get two alternator checked out, if both are dead, then go for #4.

Topic author
Markstrimaran

Re: Alternator no charging

Post by Markstrimaran »

Ac delco 12 si, 1980 ish , 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock bolt holes.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Why would you run it with the plug out? The plug has both the sense wire that determines the field voltage and the excite wire from the ignition switch.

I would suspect the battery. Have you load tested the battery? A voltage reading does not tell you much, especially if you need a solar charger to keep the voltage up.

Your local parts store should have a load tester for the battery, and a test stand for the alternator. It seems very unlikely that you would get a string of defective alternators.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

It shouldn't charge with the plug removed....
I'm guessing you need to check all your grounds

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

tgreese wrote:Why would you run it with the plug out? The plug has both the sense wire that determines the field voltage and the excite wire from the ignition switch.

I would suspect the battery. Have you load tested the battery? A voltage reading does not tell you much, especially if you need a solar charger to keep the voltage up.

Your local parts store should have a load tester for the battery, and a test stand for the alternator. It seems very unlikely that you would get a string of defective alternators.

youd be suprised how BEEPY autoparts stores alternators are.

i bought a 136A for my moms 4.0 as the stock 116A died after 17 years. New alternator actually smoked up and burned up in a few minutes.. 2nd one lasted for 6 months and now im on the 3rd.

my 5.9 ZJ had this problem too. the original 150A died.. they dont make 150s as it was 5.9 specific so me and everyone else is stuck with the 5.2 136A ones. Im on the 3rd one now.

tbh im on the 3rd radiator too and 3rd power steering pump. The BEEP they sell in autozone and advanced auto and other stores should be illegal to sell.. They go bad in less then a year. My first radiator replacement leaked the day i got. so did the 2nd one.

even the manager in advanced auto admitted he sees returns daily for alternator and radiators and so forth. Ive also had CV axle shafts go bad in a year. The only things those stores are good for is tubing.. Everything else is junk.

even the brake rotors are junk they warp so easily...

Tbh ive had it with them..
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

Cassidy

Post by Cassidy »

The sad part is there are very few auto parts rebuilders left. so even if you go to another store its probably rebuilt by the same people. unless you buy a new one.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Topic author
Markstrimaran

Post by Markstrimaran »

Thanks for the response.
I had my volt meter set to moniter the voltage, as I wiggled various wires..

I am not sure how a older battery could effect alternator output. Given a 12.7 charge voltage.

The jeep was only started once a month for the last 12 months, solar panel kept it charged.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

True, thats what really iritates me. China, and the companies that go to them specially for autoparts are BEEPING everyone over.

I personally wonder how they make any money when someone returns an alternator 3 times. They have to ship it back, rebuild it, takes time money, ect ect..

Topic author
Markstrimaran

Post by Markstrimaran »

Are any of the 12 si diode, rebuild kits any good, for DIY,

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Markstrimaran wrote:Thanks for the response.
I had my volt meter set to moniter the voltage, as I wiggled various wires..

I am not sure how a older battery could effect alternator output. Given a 12.7 charge voltage.

The jeep was only started once a month for the last 12 months, solar panel kept it charged.
Older battery that has been idle (even on a solar charger) is immediately suspect.

Did you have the battery load tested?
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Markstrimaran

Post by Markstrimaran »

Doing that today, taking 2 in hand, if both are defective, it's the alternator, if one works, it's the gremlins.

I am planing on driving this 30 year old jeep for another 20 years. So I want the wiring to simplified, and bullet proof.

I have lots of questions, as the engine is NOT fully mechanical, like the diesel I want to build into. Little 3" x 3" box. On drivers side fender, stops the engine if unplugged. The 6×6 yellow box near the passenger foot in the cab, it will run without it.

Topic author
Markstrimaran

Post by Markstrimaran »

Markstrimaran wrote:Doing that today, taking 2 in hand, if both are defective, it's the alternator, if one works, it's the gremlins.

I am planing on driving this 30 year old jeep for another 20 years. So I want the wiring to simplified, and bullet proof.

I have lots of questions, as the engine is NOT fully mechanical, like the diesel I want to build into. Little 3" x 3" box. On drivers side fender, stops the engine if unplugged. The 6×6 yellow box near the passenger foot in the cab, it will run without it.
Some picture from my 1988 grand wagoneer, with some electrical box's, of no know, purpose.
The last one is a starter relay?
ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tgreese

Re: Trying gap talk.

Post by tgreese »

V8 or 6? Pretty sure the 6 was gone by '88.

Ignition module http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/88/88_FSJ_Wir ... mPage1.jpg

MCU http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/88/88_FSJ_Wir ... mPage2.jpg

The TSM will help you a lot.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
Markstrimaran

Post by Markstrimaran »

TSM ???, it's a 360 v8, amc Thanks
Tech, service, manual. Only have a chiltons.
The engine is running rouph, but need the charging system operational.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

The Haynes and Chiltons manuals try to cover too many years, are too sketchy, and contain a lot of errors. The TSM for your year is the best single reference for your Jeep.

You're welcome. I thought you were asking about the devices at the center of each picture. The 10SI/12SI is not that complicated - it has three connections and ground. The large red wire charges the battery. The plug has two wires, the brown excite wire and the red sense wire. The sense wire connects back to the main charge wire, and provides a signal for how much voltage to send to the alternator field. The more voltage to the field, the higher the output. The field voltage increases until the sense wire voltage matches the reference (a zener diode) in the voltage regulator. The brown excite wire is a resistance wire connected to the ignition switch. The excite wire provides a voltage feed at low current to start the alternator generating. Unlike a generator, an alternator needs an external voltage to start generating. Once generating, it feeds back into itself to maintain its magnetic field and maintain a voltage output. Without the excite wire, the alternator must spin very fast to start self-generating.

There is a test hole on the alternator that you can short out to force it to charge at maximum voltage. Take a look at the '82 TSM here, section 1-E http://oljeep.com/gw/82_tsm_2/82Wagonee ... rPlant.pdf - the TSM really walks you through testing the charging system. It would be better to get the TSM for your year, but the '82 TSM will give you the charts on how to proceed.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Merged the two topics together, as they were about the same thing. And got rid of a duplicate post.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

first of all dude...

your battery cables are the most discusting heavily corroded cables ive ever seen.. Your terminals are green lol.

Clean all that up. clean the terminals. tje wires redo all that... Then maybe your Vehicle will be charging properly

Topic author
Markstrimaran

Post by Markstrimaran »

candymancan wrote:first of all dude...

your battery cables are the most discusting heavily corroded cables ive ever seen.. Your terminals are green lol.

Clean all that up. clean the terminals. tje wires redo all that... Then maybe your Vehicle will be charging properly
That's wheel bearing grease, used it for years, posts are bright silver.

I put the alternator back in, well just like 4 years ago. It magically starts working. 14 volts, with headlights, and heater fan.

candymancan

Post by candymancan »

ok i thought it was the green corrosion that builds up lol

Topic author
Markstrimaran

Post by Markstrimaran »

tgreese wrote:The Haynes and Chiltons manuals try to cover too many years, are too sketchy, and contain a lot of errors. The TSM for your year is the best single reference for your Jeep.

You're welcome. I thought you were asking about the devices at the center of each picture. The 10SI/12SI is not that complicated - it has three connections and ground. The large red wire charges the battery. The plug has two wires, the brown excite wire and the red sense wire. The sense wire connects back to the main charge wire, and provides a signal for how much voltage to send to the alternator field. The more voltage to the field, the higher the output. The field voltage increases until the sense wire voltage matches the reference (a zener diode) in the voltage regulator. The brown excite wire is a resistance wire connected to the ignition switch. The excite wire provides a voltage feed at low current to start the alternator generating. Unlike a generator, an alternator needs an external voltage to start generating. Once generating, it feeds back into itself to maintain its magnetic field and maintain a voltage output. Without the excite wire, the alternator must spin very fast to start self-generating.

There is a test hole on the alternator that you can short out to force it to charge at maximum voltage. Take a look at the '82 TSM here, section 1-E http://oljeep.com/gw/82_tsm_2/82Wagonee ... rPlant.pdf - the TSM really walks you through testing the charging system. It would be better to get the TSM for your year, but the '82 TSM will give you the charts on how to proceed.
We're can I buy one at? I am almost afraid to Google search TSM . LOL