Upgrades to the FSJ any ideas ?

Area for General FSJ related chat.

Topic author
candymancan

Upgrades to the FSJ any ideas ?

Post by candymancan »

Ive been upgrading my wagoneer here and there now that 80% of ny repairs are done. Added stuff like tint, auto dimming rear view mirror. speaker bar on ceiling. and tomorrow my buick roadmaster cebter arm rest comes. Its a red leather arm rest that bolts right up to the existing brackets and opens up two ways. one for two cup holders the other for lots of storage.

ill make a thread on that when i get it. Replaced suspension. shocks. headlights. fog lights. turn signals all of em. even added new brake light housings with amber sections for turn signals. Even added better interior lighting.

I guess i can get new carpet for rear since mine is falling apart but im trying to think of other upgrades or improvements i can do.

what do you guys think ? Any neat modifications or upgrades i can do ? what have you done to yours that makes life easier
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited 219k
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 laredo 430k
1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 155k
1976 Jeep J10.. 85k(repaired)

hutcho

Re: Upgrades to the FSJ any ideas ?

Post by hutcho »

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

why reply with a dot ?

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Just so I can follow the thread. Curious to see the armrest install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

PaulD

Post by PaulD »

Remote control door locks. Some came with them. Did yours? Are they working?
My 89 GW has the roof console that has a receiver but nothing came with it when I bought it. Don't know if there is any aftermarket system that could tap into my wiring and make it operational again.

will e

Post by will e »

Candymancan, you are at 999 posts!

What are your plans for the Jeep? Light upgrades are nice. Gauges are always a good possibility. You might consider adding a couple of gauges. I like having both a fuel Pressure and trans temp gauge.

If you are thinking about going off road I can start listing out a TON of things.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

ferrum

Post by ferrum »

Remote start is best and most convenient upgrade I've installed on my jeep especially in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'76 Cherokee Chief

HeavyMetalThunder_81

Post by HeavyMetalThunder_81 »

I know the pictures are gone but the write up is good.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=125202
-Jonny B.
1979 Cherokee Golden Eagle - UNDER CONSTRUCTION
7" lift, 35x12.5x15
AMC 401 - Pro-FLo 4 FI
NV4500/NWFBB/NP205 - Triple Stick'd
F D44 - 4.10, Eaton E-Locker
R M23 - 4.10, Detroit Locker

1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Cherokee Chief - Parts
1979 Wagoneer - Sold
1981 Cherokee Chief - Cubed

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Lights. Fuel injection. With fuel injection, you can put a display on the dash that monitors the engine vitals. Dash cam. Refrigerator. Selectable lockers. On-board air. Roof rack. GPS. Satellite radio. CB radio or ham radio.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

weeegoneeer

Post by weeegoneeer »

Dakota gauge cluster.
1984 GW

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Auxiliary battery. Winch.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

Yea my Jeep came with remote locks, but when i bought it. Owner didnt have the remote for it, and 2 of my locks dont go up when i unlock the doors. I think i need actuators or there isnt enough power going to them, noticed when the Jeep is off the interior wiring only has about 9-10v or so going through it when the battery is at 12.80. I did add a tachometer i forgot to mention that.

Ferrum how did you get a remote start to work in your Jeep ? I do still have the overhead center console but since the outside temp and compass didnt work i just put it in storage and the headliner i have from the JY (since my Jeep didnt have a headliner board when i bought it) is from an 82 so it wasnt cut for the console. I do still have all the overhead wiring though which is how i wired the auto dimming rear mirror. It was easy since the overhead wiring already had power ground and a 12v ignition switch wire. I know the brown wires i believe are for the remote locks. when i was testing the wires out for my mirror i was able to lock and unlock my doors.

Refrigerator sounds funny lol for long trips. How would one do a install like that lol ? I have always wanted to have a vehicle with a normal power plug you know like a house wall socket. Maybe ill research how to do something like that.

And i have been talking for a long time now to cut out the floor in the trunk area and instead of putting a aux gas tank there, i wanted to weld a storage compartment with a door and hing. There is so much unused space under the Jeep it seems like a waste. I wonder how hard that would be to weld a storage compartment like that. Shouldnt be that hard, itll just be a square box. You know how vehicles mount the spare tires inside the vehicle in the trunks ? I propose making something like that
Last edited by candymancan on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PaulD

Post by PaulD »

HeavyMetalThunder_81 wrote:I know the pictures are gone but the write up is good.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=125202
Great info. Gives me guidance to get my locks back working.

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

sucks that pics dont work. I sincerely hate photobucket for screwing the entire internet.

Also my plans for the Jeep, i dont plan to go off-roading my wagoneer is too nice looking to get destroyed by driving in crazy coditions. once its washed and waxed it looks nearly brand new. Id rather take my 5.9 off-roading if i ever do. The waggy is just for driving around.

ferrum

Post by ferrum »

candymancan wrote: Ferrum how did you get a remote start to work in your Jeep ? I do still have the overhead center console but since the outside temp and compass didnt work i just put it in storage and the headliner i have from the JY (since my Jeep didnt have a headliner board when i bought it) is from an 82 so it wasnt cut for the console. I do still have all the overhead wiring though which is how i wired the auto dimming rear mirror. It was easy since the overhead wiring already had power ground and a 12v ignition switch wire. I know the brown wires i believe are for the remote locks. when i was testing the wires out for my mirror i was able to lock and unlock my doors.
First step to getting remote start to work is to get rid of carb and install EFI of your choice. Get hold of electrical diagram for your model jeep and study and identify each circuit you are going to need to make the remote start work. In my case, I have automate 1 way remote start that came off of my mom's Tahoe when I upgraded it to 2-way remote start. It take good part of day to do the installation but well worth the trouble. Wake up in the morning and hit remote start and get ready to go to work without having to go outside in cold to start the jeep. :D This also may fix your remote entry if you have power locks(mine is manual).
'76 Cherokee Chief

will e

Post by will e »

candymancan wrote:
Refrigerator sounds funny lol for long trips. How would one do a install like that lol ? I have always wanted to have a vehicle with a normal power plug you know like a house wall socket. Maybe ill research how to do something like that.
When you do your long trips are they long road trips or wheeling trips or long road trips with some light wheeling?

As far as refridgerators go there are several options and sizes. They can operate off of 12v. You can find anything from something that will hold a few cans and a meal to pretty large 80 plus quart models.

I do a lot of wheeling and camping so I went with a larger ARB unit. It runs on both 12v and 110v. I added a 12v outlet to the rear. I mounted mine on a slider. There are other available that slide longways. I had to because of the spare.

The power outlets. I went ahead and put in two.

I used the recommended gauge for the fridge run. And a smaller wire for the second socket. I might add a USB port in as well.

I tucked it inside a tupperware to keep it from getting hit and help avoid a spark around the fuel lines.

I really like having the fridge. I put 8 water bottles in it the night before I leave and freeze them. Then I toss in the food and such the next morning and turn up the temp to above freezing. It works great. No ice mess. I have two batteries so I wired it up so that it runs on the aux battery when the engine is off but on the main circuit when the engine is running.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
candymancan

Post by candymancan »

What is that storage above with your oil bottle ? I like that, because right now i have a very large fabric like container i got from harbor freight that has all my oils and stuff. But that thing screwed into the Body you have looks nice and space saving. I dunno if itll work on a grand wagoneer though. My quarter panel windows mount differently then yours it looks like as i have a square metal bracket inside around the window